Home

New Star Wars-Themed Headphones

urluckyday

As you may or may not know, I'm a huge 50 Cent fan, so I always follow news about him, and I just came across this today:

50 Cent has teamed up with Lucasfilm to release a series of Star Wars-themed headphones. Based on 50's existing Street design, the new line includes Stormtrooper, Rebel Alliance, Boba Fett and Imperial editions.

As an owner of the original SMS Audio headphones, I can safely say that they're some of the best sounding headphones I've ever owned. You will be paying for the premium that is high-quality, vanity headphones, so these look like they'll run you $200 (which is really expensive, and I get that). Either way, I thought it was pretty cool!

smsaudiostarwarscans.jpg

Original story:http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/07/sms-audio-star-wars-headphones/?ncid=rss_truncated

• 2 weeks later...
I've been to DJ supply houses and have worked as a sound guy in amateur video production. I'm going to say that although those look sweet, their performance may not have it where it counts.

+1. Anyone who knows what they're talking about will not recommend any of these celebrity-endorsed headphones. (Excluding the V-MODA M-80, if you can even call them "celebrity-endorsed").

They look good, and that's about it. For $200, SMS deliver below par sound quality.

I've found that the SMS headphones that I own deliver some of the best sound out of the other headphones that I've tried. They do a fantastic job of making sure that the mid-range doesn't get muddied with an overwhelming job, and I love the balance overall. I'm sure that there's some science behind all this to tell me that I'm wrong, but I haven't noticed anything really lacking from them to this point - and I've tried a fair number of high-end sets before.

I've found that the SMS headphones that I own deliver some of the best sound out of the other headphones that I've tried. They do a fantastic job of making sure that the mid-range doesn't get muddied with an overwhelming job, and I love the balance overall. I'm sure that there's some science behind all this to tell me that I'm wrong, but I haven't noticed anything really lacking from them to this point - and I've tried a fair number of high-end sets before.

Trust me, once you put on a good, adequately amped set of DT990's on, you'll change your mind.

Also, did the

high-end sets

include any truly hi-fi headphones, like the Denon AH-D5000, the Sennheiser HD650, or the Beyerynamic T90?

Archived