Home

Robocop 2014

Darth Avlectus

So, what do you think of the previews thus far?

Honestly I'm kind of excited about it. Critics, detractors and even some fans (supposedly) are already moaning and bitching about how it has been made over--but they aren't so quick to hammer marvel and DC based films recently, some of which are only "meh''.

It may not necessarily have been the equal to the early days of Terminator and certainly the originals weren't Iron Man. I saw the Robocop originals and liked them. If other old stuff has gotten a modern makeover/remake, why not this?

Certainly those of you familiar with the originals will never forget that gun Robocop wielded, or some classic lines like "I'd buy THAT for a dollar" by the ol' perv. Or the fight with E.D.209. The corporate politics and intrigues. The Chief. Officer Lois being gunned down and Robocop being framed for it.

I loved it flaws and all. If the modern adaptation is good--as this promises to be-- then I have no problem with it. Why should I? Admittedly I hadn't seen many movies lately in theaters. Johnny Knoxville's Bad Grandpa recently is when I heard about it first. Not seen it on TV commercials until the past couple weeks or so. Maybe it's just me and I'm late-informed but I think being so tight lipped about it is a good strategy because if the movie is good or even great, and you don't over advertize, word of mouth will get more people coming in to see it. The better the movie actually is then the higher marks it'll get from professional critics.

Then again it could be a real flop and I could very well end up eating crow.

That's my take. What's yours?

I saw the original Robocop trilogy and loved it! The concept was really cool and the first movie was actually pretty good, however the second two were goofy, but that's to be expected with a lot of sequels. I love a GOOD remake and this is one that I thought would never happen. I'm hopeful that it won't be a flop and will instead be a quality action flick.

I don't know, I'm on the fence about it so far. A part of me thinks they're just remaking it because Hollywood has run out of good script writers for movies lately, so they need profits to keep coming in by remaking golden oldies. But another part me sayz they're remaking it because the latest movie tech will make it 10 times better and they're paying some kind of tribute to a great movie script.

But if they're going to do the first one all over again, I hope they redo the sequels because those last ones really sucked IMO.

I guess it's going to be one of those 'wait and see' kind of things for me, before I have a final opinion.

QFT. They're remaking everything these days, even bloody musicals.

I know, right?! It's like most of Hollywood and Broadway got rid of all their good script writers or either they all died off. Leaves me stunned sometimes with this remake trip they're on.

Found this trailer. Think there are two. And if I remember; the suit will appear as 'steel' and black in the movie. Not sure what to think of this remake. The 80's Paul Verhoeven is just great stuff; not sure what their aim is. To do better or more OTT action seems pointless; another 'view' on the story could work, but again it feels somewhat 'méh' to me.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Fans of the original shouldn't expect a remake when seeing it, it's more of a reboot than anything else.

What's the difference between the two? The way I see it, "reboot" is just a new word for a remake - both assume the previous version of the story never happened and start things from scratch, changing some details for various reasons. Sometimes too much is changed and the result is crap and sometimes too little is changed, which raises the question if there was even a need for a reboot/remake. And then there are those works that strike the perfect balance and end up pretty good compared to the original.

What's the difference between the two?

Maybe it's just me, but I see reboots as a new take on the character and story, while a remake is the same take on the story/characters/locations retold on a new film.

This is a bit like what Batman Begins is to Batman (from '89). Sure, Batman is still there, but the story and themes explored are completely different.

Archived