Home

Broken Age

MeddlingMonk

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got it on the release date, as I backed it when it was on Kickstarter, but haven't had the time to get startet yet.

Is it the obscene-good experience I hoped for, when I backed it?

I mean, it is by the hand of Tim Schafer, which was the only selling point needed.

I think it's very good. The two 'worlds' interact in unexpected (and very subtle) ways. Some people complain that the puzzles are 'too easy' (very subjective) or that Schafer broke his 'promise' to usher in the Second Coming of the Golden Age of Adventure Games (which he never did). The complainers seem to be a distinct minority (and at least some are just trolling). But if you were expecting a Tim Schafer adventure game then you have a Tim Schafer adventure game.

But of couse this is just part one, ending on a major cliffhanger.

I completely loved it. At first I was a bit disappointed that they haven't chose Peter Chan's(Grim Fandango! ) art direction, but that changed for me with the progress of the game making. Also I am very grateful to be a slacker backer and got the chance to watch the whole documentary. To see how Peter McConnell works, to see his ways of find that very special something in music... just amazing.

Broken Age is really a great game, though I felt it was a bit short. I needed 4 hours to play through, although I asked and clicked around a lot around in the world. Nevertheless, for a Tim Shaefer fan his is a must have. And for any body else, who wants to have a great adventure time, like back in the days.

Well, don't forget this is just half of the game, so when it's complete I expect game-play time to double. Eight or so hours isn't so bad. Longer than Full Throttle.

As for the art, I think Tim's idea was from the beginning to have it in the style of Bagel. Chan was just in there at the concept-art stage, but the overall style was always going to be Bagel. I'd have to re-watch the early docos to be sure, but I think that at the beginning that was Tim's only definite idea going in: Bagel-style art.

• 1 year later...

Archived