Home

Sonic Boom

HED

It's a tie-in game to a new Sonic TV show.

If people want to play a fairly decent (for Sonic) Sonic game on Wii U, my suggestion would be to pick up Sonic: Lost Worlds... otherwise, I'm not sure about Sonic Boom. It could go either way... but the designs of the characters still look terrible. Way too leggy, Knuckles did nothing but upper body days and Sonic's face... urk. Rose and Tails look alright though.

But yeah, Sonic Lost Worlds has a lot of elements from the original 2D Sonic games and cuts out as much of the "new Sonic" stuff as it can.

I enjoy watching non-Nintendo fans talk about video games... it's like looking into a world where Nintendo doesn't exist. (I'm only teasing)

Side-scrolling video games are actually stupidly popular, even in this era... just gotta know where to look for them ;) As for a more classic version of modern Sonic... Lost Worlds did a better job of it than Generations did.

I enjoy watching non-Nintendo fans talk about video games... it's like looking into a world where Nintendo doesn't exist. (I'm only teasing)

Side-scrolling video games are actually stupidly popular, even in this era... just gotta know where to look for them ;) As for a more classic version of modern Sonic... Lost Worlds did a better job of it than Generations did.

I suppose side-scrolling games are big in the so-called 'casual' games sector, iPhone and Android apps and the like. But aside from Nintendo, you don't really see big AAA titles that are side-scrollers. (Or maybe you do, I've sort of fallen out of the habit of going to video game news site.)

I haven't owned a non-Nintendo console since the PS2.

Rayman Origins and Legends was pretty popular with people... though yeah, most really popular side scrolling games are indie or remakes of older games, but if they're popular with people (not including the casual crowd, I'm not concerned about mobile gaming at all), then they obviously still have a place in modern gaming.

As for Sonic, unlike Mario, Sonic never had that "aha!" moment when transitioning from 2D to 3D. Sonic never had that perfect model to work from like Mario has with Mario 64 and so he's stuck trying to reinvent himself in some way with each game makes. Meanwhile, Mario is able to do his 2D and 3D thing and just add new power-ups and level designs and keep going strong even after all these years.

As for a more classic version of modern Sonic... Lost Worlds did a better job of it than Generations did.

I've played the Wii U demo of Lost World. It seemed to be a good game, but not a good Sonic game. And speaking of Rayman, Origins was by far the best and most creative platformer that I've played in the last decade.

What IS a good Sonic game? lol XD no one knows, all they know is that they're nostalgic about some old games they use to play.

I'm guilty of this myself. I measure just about every new 3D Sonic game against Adventure 2 Battle and am always disappointed.

It's so weird. It feels like every 5 years or so, Sonic goes through a re-imagining or "trying to get back to the roots" revolution, and it never seems to turn out well. Honestly, they should just shelve Sonic and friends for a few years and let the stink of the past 8-10 years of overall 'meh' be forgotten...then bring him back for real in style!

The classic parts of Generations, with just a bit more work on the gameplay and level design, would make a great Sonic game.

I can even say that the modern gameplay in Generations 'worked' (in a way), but only because it was in corridor-like maps which offer no gameplay variety at all...

As for Adventure, thanks but no thanks. To me, it's the lowest point of the series...

I only owned Nintendo consoles as a child so it was Mario all the way for me. I was never a fan of Sonic, not because of the stupid rivalry between Nintendo and Sega, but because I never liked the gameplay of any of the Sonic games.

In later years I've been more interested in Sonic, but not out of any sort of nostalgia, but because he's lasted up to this point along with Mario and has even starred in the same games as Mario with Smash Bros and those Olympic Game games, but his games have always been... pretty terrible... at least one way or the other. Mario stumbles once or twice, but his games always end up being polished works of gaming greatness aimed at different kinds of Mario fans, those who like 2D plane platformers, those who want a more family friendly chaotic experience and those who want a 3D mario platformer experience.

With Sonic... I don't think Sega really knows what to do with Sonic, but whatever it is they end up doing with him, they just keep trying. And because Sega keeps trying, it makes me want to try too... which is why I'm interested in buying Sonic: Lost Worlds since many people are saying it's taking Sonic back to its roots but also adding more control over his speed instead of just being "gotta go fast" 100% of the time.

(Plus it's been scientifically proven that Mario ran faster than Sonic in both of their first games :p)

(Plus it's been scientifically proven that Mario ran faster than Sonic in both of their first games :p)

7554_660540650676690_1339366387_a.jpg

I've never been a Sonic fan, but I'll take the original three over anything that's been put out since. Not out of nostalgia, but because all the ones I have played have been poopy. I'll be keeping an eye on this one though.

Archived