Home

Tips for Holding a Party for Kids

With a few simple tips, I'm going to show you how to create a fantastic kids' birthday party.

Now, there are a few basic principles to follow to make sure the party goes smoothly and I think the key thing to remember is portion control. Whether you're feeding four, eight, 20 children or even more, the basic principle is that each child is going to need approximately one small bread roll or three quarters of a sandwich, a small cake, a packet of crisps and a few pieces of fruit, that's it. So don't go crazy when you're shopping, if you follow that basic format, you should be OK.

Certainly, it is necessary to prepare some toys for kids. Kids are all fond of toys. You can buy some popular lovely toys for them, such as cheap plants vs zombies gifts, and some of the angry birds, which are all currently prevalent and favored by kids.

The other thing is children eat with their eyes, so as you can see this spread in front of me looks really appealing to the children. I've used toy trucks to put the crisps in and the popcorn. I've got things that are a little bit more familiar, like the sausages, and grapes and cheese on sticks and I've simply wrapped a piece of foil around a Swede and I can stick the cocktail sticks in and it looks really effective.

The other thing I'm going to show you how to make today are these sandwiches and the way I've done that is using both white and brown bread, so they're getting something healthy. I'm simply going to butter the bread and I'm just going to use some wafer-thin ham as a filling, there we go. Lay that across there. If I cut these into quarters and turn them over, you can see we have a nice checkerboard effect and it's going to be more appealing to children. Put these on a plate.

The next thing I'm going to show you how to make are chocolate-dipped fruits, which the children are going to love. I've got a selection of strawberries, banana and kiwi, which are always popular and I've got some milk and white chocolate that have been melted in the microwave. Now, I did that on defrost at 30-second intervals and made sure I kept stirring, because you don't want the chocolate to burn, you want it to be nice and runny.

So, what we're going to do is get a nice baking tray that can fit in the fridge. Choose your fruit, I think we're going to dip this one in white chocolate. I'm not going to dip the whole fruit because we want to be able to see part of it sticking out. Just cover the end in some white chocolate and that will set in the fridge. I'll just do a couple of pieces. Nice bit of banana, maybe we'll do that with some milk chocolate. We're at least making sure they're getting something healthy to eat, although it is a bit of a treat.

Some strawberry, just cut these in half because they're quite large. Some white chocolate on that one. Really simple to do, as I say, just 10 minutes in the fridge and they'll be ready to serve. There we go, what we can do to make them really special; on the white ones I'll do a little drizzle of milk chocolate, like so, and on the milk chocolate one, I'll do a drizzle of white chocolate. These you could actually do the day ahead if you're a bit more organized. I'll put those in the fridge for a good 10 minutes and then they'll be ready to put on the plates. What you'll end up with are plates of delicious chocolate-cover fruit, which the children are going to love.

So, as you can see, with a few simple tips, you can really make sure that kids' birthday party goes with a bang and that's how you do a kids' party.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived