Home

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U

HED

I've spent countless hours on Melee and Brawl over the years, so I'm quite looking forward to this.

Yesterday Nintendo revealed the newest fighter.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Though I can't quite say I'm incredibly enthused by the choice, as I never played Punch Out!! myself.

A LOT of people were asking why Little Mac wasn't in Brawl, so I guess they were listening on this one...

Were they? I guess I wasn't really a part of any online community at the time Brawl was released so I missed that.

Still, the only fighter so far that I'm unhappy is in it would be Lucario. I was really hoping they'd ditch him and go back to Mewtwo.

I'm surprised that Lucario is back too actually... he was included because his movie was coming out at around the time Brawl was being released in Japan... actually, I think Mewtwo was in Melee for the same reason.

Kind of makes me wonder if we'll get Lucario AND Mewtwo in Smash 4. Though in the case of Ike, it seems pretty likely that he'll be replaced with Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening. I also wonder if Lucas will return... and finally... will Snake make a comeback? We got Sonic... we'll have to wait and see if Kojima and Sakurai have been conspiring inside their shared cardboard box.

I hoped Mewtwo would return because of the push he got with his MegaEvolution for X and Y. I certainly wouldn't mind having them both.

As for Lucas... Ness hasn't even been confirmed, though I can't imagine that he or other uncomfirmed fighters like Captain Falcon, Yoshi, Ice Climbers and the like won't be returning.

I find it fascinating that people want Smash Bros. to be competitive while Sakurai and the dev team want Smash Bros. to be played for fun and NOT competitively.

There's such a divide in in ideology between the two that competitive players end up making that modified version of Brawl to be more like Melee so they can use it in their competitive tournaments which Nintendo wants nothing to do with.

Hell, there was even a moment in which Nintendo refused to let anyone play Smash Bros. in any tournaments, there was a huge backlash so Nintendo begrudgingly just said "whatever, we just don't want to be associated with whatever you guys do unofficially" and allowed them to use Smash Bros. in their tournaments... or whatever modded version they've created as it turns out.

I find it fascinating that people want Smash Bros. to be competitive while Sakurai and the dev team want Smash Bros. to be played for fun and NOT competitively.

There's such a divide in in ideology between the two that competitive players end up making that modified version of Brawl to be more like Melee so they can use it in their competitive tournaments which Nintendo wants nothing to do with.

I personally find a lot of the competitive Smash community really obnoxious. Especially the whole Project M Brawl mod thing, which really irks me for a reason I can't quite put my finger on.

Why not both? These players were having fun playing competitively. I mean, Pokémon was made "for fun" as well, but Nintendo itself endorsed competitive tournaments, IIRC. Of course, Nintendo is under no obligation to do anything.

Although, once Brawl was released, it wouldn't make sense to keep asking for Melee support.

That's because the creators of Pokemon, that would be Satoshi Tajiri and the folks of Game Freak (and not Nintendo) designed Pokemon to be a competitive experience from the very start and constantly tune their games over the many generations with that in mind. We've even got official in-game EV training games for people who really want to go by the numbers game. They did make Pokemon for fun, but they're also pushing for it to be a competitive game as well because the entire point of the game is to battle your friends, not just for fun, but for the competition. This is why there are Pokemon tournaments that are officially supported by Nintendo happening all the time.

Now Masahiro Sakurai has always tried to lead Smash Bros in the opposite path. He's said many times over the past decade or so that he wanted Smash Bros to be nothing but a fun for the whole family experience with the Nintendo mascots. He's gone out of his way to try to take out the competitive aspect from the game since Smash Bros isn't meant to be a tournament fighter. That's why you get all of that controversy about changed shield mechanics and tripping when Brawl was released and Sakurai has come out and said on many occasions that the best way to play Brawl is with all items turned on with four players using the characters they like because they're cool, not because they're the highest on the tier list. This is why you don't see any officially supported tournaments for Smash Bros.

We're talking about two different design philosophies from two different development teams over two different kinds of games.

And if you're asking yourself why Nintendo is like that. I have no clue, that's how Nintendo is. They make really, REALLY strange and specific decisions like this all the time that don't make any particular sense. They've ALWAYS been like that.

I agree that SSB was never design with "competition" in mind. But my point was that there was nothing wrong with it being played on a competitive level (just like any other multiplayer game with enough players and interest), and to make certain changes on future games of the series in order to "fight" the competitive scene is, in my opinion, a bad logistic move. But it's his game and he's in his right to push it in the directions he wants.

P.S: I'm not a competitive SSB player, just randomly found that interesting doc.

No one ever said that there was anything wrong with it, just that it's not officially supported.

Plus... you're talking about Nintendo here, they do whatever the hell they want whether it's sane or not. They're like Willy Wonka, who the hell really understands that guy, he makes damn good chocolate and candy, but he's plain weird.

• 2 months later...

Archived