Home

Discworld Noir

Gownaar

Just finished a great oldie called Discworld Noir. I suppose most adventure gamers already know the game. I only discovered it recently and really enjoyed it. It's a bit buggy, 3d models are bad even by '99 standards, mechanics could be better in some points... but the story, the ambience and excellent dialogue make up for it. Having read Pratchett is a plus but not a requirement. The reason I'm sharing this here is that I believe ~7/10 GF fans would like this game. The Noir part of the title should be a good enough hint. I'm not very good at describing things so if you haven't played and want to know more, here's an informative review: adventuregamers.com/articles/view/17579.

• 4 months later...

The best thing about Discworld Noir is that famous funny man Rob Brydon provided the voice of the main character, Lewton, a few years before he became a famous funny man! I mean he was probably a funny man back then, but nobody knew about it because he wasn't famous, like.

I didn't manage to get very far in Discworld Noir and it's nowhere near as excellent as Grim Fandango, but I agree that Grim fans are likely to enjoy it!

I must admit I'd never heard of Rob Brydon, but I see that he even bears a certain resemblance to Lewton, probably because of that oversized chin. Lewton's voice reminded me a bit of that actor who played Elaine's boss in Seinfeld, the clothes guy. I didn't think it was really him, though, and now I know it wasn't.

Archived