Home

Games that capture the old Monkey Island atmosphere....

Specifically the first two games (although the third was canny also).

Has anyone any experiences/suggestions of games that have a similar style to the original Monkey Island games (other than other Lucasfilm/Lucasarts games)? By this I don't just mean and old point and click game....I mean games that have at least a couple of the following:-

• VGA graphics
  • Similar graphical style
  • Similar music
  • Similar Humour
  • Similar 'feel'

Fire away you lot. :)

• 5 weeks later...

It's a little sad no one replied to this :p

Umm.... I dunno why but I was thinking Goblins 3? You've got your main character having one initial goal, interrupted by a love interest, the graphics are obviously old school, you've got the interesting locations and a satisfactory level of humour... wait, this is probably another LucasArts game. Or is it? Can't remember.

I haven't played a lot of adventure games other than Monkey Island so my perception is a little biased :giggle1:

Yes, Simon the Sorcerer was one of the first adventure games to have a special version for the Amiga 1200 with an eye-popping 256 colours. I was stuck with an Amiga 600, like a pauper. Never mind, we only had 32 colours back then but we knew how to use them.

I think Simon the Sorcerer came out for the Amiga CD32 as well, with the aforementioned Chris Barrie voice acting. Surely the definitive version, combining a talkie CD game with Amiga music.

You catch my drift, dude.

Raymond, you missed this critical part of my criteria....

Precisely :giggle1:

The last old school adventure game I played other than Monkey Island was Teenagent, and some of the puzzles in there were kind of stupid. :rolleyes: It had its funny bits though. :)

64 colours in halfbright mode. Oh how I loved DPaint.

The only game I remember actually using Halfbright was Super Cars II by Gremlin Graphics, although that's not to say there wasn't more.

I loved the Amiga, and loved Deluxe Paint. I had Deluxe Paint II (from this pack)

flightfantasy.jpg

....and eventually a hooky copy of Deluxe Paint IV.

I used to hang around a local games company after doing my work experience there (Zeppelin Games, who later became Eutechnyx) trying to wow them with mock up images of Adventure Games created in Deluxe Paint. Needless to say they were less impressed by them, than I was....although at one point they did pay me a whole £25 for a game design which they never used. I can't figure out whether they saw potential or whether it was some sort of pay off lol.

But it used half-bright mode? What, in those annoying question and answer interludes between the races? Phwoar. I didn't know that.

The main race part of the game, I'm fairly sure was done in half bright, I remember reading it in the actual printed magazine reviews at the time. I did a quick search to make sure I'm not imagining it, and this was amongst the first things I found:-

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=199133

First, I'm 100% sure the game uses EHB (extra half bright), because of the nice shadows on the circuit... IMHO It would have been impossible without EHB on a 68000!.

Well, back then, I got DPaint IV,.. uhm,.. on a disc. From my uncle. However, The Secret of Monkey Island was the first game I ever bought! Together with an external floppy drive. And one Amiga Action Replay III! It enabled me to extract the SoMI soundtrack in that strange TFMX format, right out of the RAM, it was a blast. I also made my own sprites for Turrican ^^

Archived