Home

Modding questions

DuckfromPortal

So my third question is my burning desire question the other two are just idle curiosities, Please be patient and read them and answer or skip to the third one and just answer that one.

1) how many planets can be put into kotor 1 and tsl, i heard something like it was hard coded with a certain amount a while back but couldn't find that again.

a) would I be possible (or has it already been done) to recreate tatooine, kashyyk and manaan into tsl (I know that you can't bring modules from one into tsl, since you can't bring any assets from 1 into tsl, but like recreatting the tattooine, manaan and Kashyyk ino Tsl and giving new random quests and merchants)?

(edit that is porting and not allowed, thank you sith Holocron for answering this question) 2)Can the voice overs from kotor be braught into tsl, Like carths lines or canderis's (since he is mandalore at the time of tsl) or hk's?

and my last question is: Would it be overly difficult to bypass the Hardcoded limit of the party members in one and two by creating a console within the Ebon hawk that allows you to change out party members and add party members as in:

{Original K2 Party members}

T3-M4

Atton

Kreia

Bao-Dur

Handmaiden

Hanharr

Hk-47

Mandalore

Visas

G0-T0

Cast is full

{Options}

Remove<-

Remove Kreia

Kreia removed from active party members

{List of Party Members}

T3-M4

Atton

EMPTY

Bao-Dur

Handmaiden

Hanharr

Hk-47

Mandalore

Visas

G0-T0

Party members not full, can add people

{Options}

Add<-

Remove

Add who?

Kreia

Disciple

Mira<-

Meatman

{New List of Party Members}

T3-M4

Atton

Mira

Bao-Dur

Handmaiden

Hanharr

Hk-47

Mandalore

Visas

G0-T0

Would that be possible/Has it already been done?

2)Can the voice overs from KotOR be brought into TSL, Like Carth's lines or Canderous' (since he is Mandalore at the time of tsl) or hk's?

That would be porting. That would be a no-no according to the Forum Rules. (It would be number 7 under "Holowan Laboratories" in this post.)

I'll leave the other questions to those more knowledgeable.

Uh, switching out random party members ad hoc for kicks and giggles shouldn't be hard, I think, and probably has been done before (perhaps with a nifty armband); however, I do worry that doing so could get messy in the long run and bug/break your game saves (with enough knowledge of the game, you might be able to fix those problems on the fly, but a clean "one-size-fits-all" solution seems difficult at best).

1 - Depends what you mean by this.

The amount of planets you can add to the game is in theory infinite, but I think the amount of planets you can add to the map where you choose which planet to travel to might have limits. If you add an alternative way to get there it should be fine, such as telling T3-M4 to take you there.

a) - It would certainly be possible to recreate them, but you would have to build all the modules from scratch in 3dsmax or similar. That said, there might be some models in TSL that could help. I think the doors from Kashyyyk were left there from Kotor 1 for example, as were all the wookies.

last question - Yes, absolutely. Adding, removing and creating a party member are all done via fairly simple scripts.

There will be a limit on how many are 'officially part of the team' though. Only 12 can be shown on the party selection screen. You would have to keep switching them around.

There will be a limit on how many are 'officially part of the team' though. Only 12 can be shown on the party selection screen. You would have to keep switching them around.

As an addendum to the above:

You can add party members and switch them out, but they won't stick.

When you save your game, the game archives your party members into the SAVEGAME.sav, as a .utc named "AVAILNPC" followed by 0-8 in K1, and 0-11 in TSL.

Example: Bastila is saved as AVAILNPC0.utc in the .sav file.

This can be done via scripting as SaveNPCState(int iNPC), I believe; "int iNPC" is the slot in the GUI that belongs to the .npc to be saved.

If you were to recruit a party member, then switch them out with another .utc via scripting(adding the new .utc to the available party members), it wouldn't work. You'd be adding a .utc with the info from that file, regardless of whether or not you had the party member before...

I hate to be a downer like this, but it's sadly the truth.

And yes, I've delved too freakin' much into this crap... who needs free time?:)

Thank you for your answers, I do have one thing to ask off of Fair Strides addendum though, you say that it sets which party members are with you and it wouldn't stick because of the 0-8 and 0-11 thing, what if, (this may be just so stupid it might work) When you had the add remove it reset the value to make it so the new person takes the olds value.

so lets say you switch out hk, then his value would no longer be five (or something) it would be replaced by a higher then 8/11 value that then cascades downwards for all after 8/11 example:

Regular roster

Carth: 1

Bastila: 2

Mission: 3

Zalbaar 4

Canderis: 5

T3-M4: 6

Hk-47: 7

Jolee: 8

------

Extra roster: (None shown on the party screen)

------

Mandalore: 9

Mira: 10

Atton: 11

remove Hk-47

his value of 7 then goes away and is reassigned to blank until another takes his spot and he is then assigned 12

New regular roster

Zalbaar 4

EMPTY: 7

------

------

Hk-47: 12

then as you add a character, say atton in this case he would take up that value of seven and hk would go down the list to 11

New regular roster

Zalbaar 4

Atton: 7

------

------

Hk-47: 11

Would that work and be a simple solution or would that just be ten times more programming for a moot point?

Thank you for your answers, I do have one thing to ask off of Fair Strides addendum though, you say that it sets which party members are with you and it wouldn't stick because of the 0-8 and 0-11 thing, what if, (this may be just so stupid it might work) When you had the add remove it reset the value to make it so the new person takes the olds value.

so lets say you switch out hk, then his value would no longer be five (or something) it would be replaced by a higher then 8/11 value that then cascades downwards for all after 8/11 example:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

Regular roster

Zalbaar 4

Hk-47: 7

------

------

remove Hk-47

his value of 7 then goes away and is reassigned to blank until another takes his spot and he is then assigned 12

New regular roster

Zalbaar 4

EMPTY: 7

------

------

Hk-47: 12

then as you add a character, say atton in this case he would take up that value of seven and hk would go down the list to 11

New regular roster

Zalbaar 4

Atton: 7

------

------

Hk-47: 11

Would that work and be a simple solution or would that just be ten times more programming for a moot point?

Unfortunately, the point is moot; the game goes off of the npc.2da, the partysel.gui, and to an extent, some hard-coded stuff...

Dang. . . I was really hoping there'd be a way to bunny hop in every character plus some without creating puppets so i hear that term alot though, 'hardcoded' it means that it has several redundant layers of coding that basically will cause it to reset or break the game if some layer of that is changed?

Dang. . . I was really hoping there'd be a way to bunny hop in every character plus some without creating puppets so i hear that term alot though, 'hardcoded' it means that it has several redundant layers of coding that basically will cause it to reset or break the game if some layer of that is changed?

Nah, hardcoded means that it's in the swkotor.exe/swkotor2.exe source code...

So we can't get to it. Even if we could, we'd be breaking the law...

Darn it, well hmm, If i have any more questions, I'll shoot em here, I have lots of work this week so I won't really, be doing what i was planning on doing which was start modding an a character into Kotor 2 and ask all the questions that come up. when i get around to that i'll be posting more questions, thank you for answering all of my questions at the moment though, one more before the road though:

Would it be possible to have the same console concept as before, but make puppets for characters and level them up from the console? so say you fix the droid from the beginning of the game with t3, it would be a puppet on t3 and you could level it up and change it out with other puppets or something

Party

Jedimans

T3

Atton

Repaired Level 3 MSG Droid

New party

Jedimans

T3

-L3 MSG

Atton

This would give more squad mates(which i wouldn't want but if its the only way to get more people for the ebon hawk, and for talking to regularly, so be it)

Archived