Home

Hot sauces

What have you tried? As a 'Murican I have probably not had the worst of the worst in the world but I have tried some tast hot sauce and some vicious hot sauce. Thing is even when going for painful, I strive for it also being flavorful. Some that are hot only have a bitter taste that makes you not want to come back more because it's just plain nasty.

I've had 2 variants of Da Bomb--definitely a food ruining prank sauce and not a good one for eating.

I've tried the various flavors of Tabasco, obviously good for eating.

Hot sauce from hell-primarily habanero...while not the absolute hottest, it will linger and it definitely sneaks up on ya if you're not careful. Plus it hurts when it leaves.

Siracha--always a good one.

Various homemade habanero and jalapeno sauces at small mexican restaurants.

Lastly Dave's hot sauce. Tastes good if you like naga pepper. Holy crap it's the hottest I've ever tasted. doesn't linger more than about 10 minutes but it burns like the fires of hell.

How about you?

I'm growing a few varieties of hot peppers this year, and I'm going to make some for Christmas. I have no idea what it's going to contain yet--it depends on what I get for a harvest. :) However, jalapenos and a pepper called "Lemon Drop" will be part of it.

I rarely use hot sauces, mainly because its uncommon for me to eat anything that would be aided or in some way improved by it. I think the last time I used a hot sauce was on a rather bland serving of hashbrowns.

There are only two positive memories that come to mind involving hot sauce for me. One was when I went to Mexico and there were these taquitos that were overcooked to hell, and the hot sauce helped with the dryness in addition to tasting good. The other was in London at this place called Nando's. The food wasn't overcooked there but I remember loving the sauces. It has been a long while since I've had it though.

I find Tabasco boring and lacking in the complex flavours department, but maybe that's just me. When I reach for a bottle of hot sauce, and this goes for pretty much anything, I'm grabbing Cholula. It's milder, but adds a lot more flavour. If it's an asian dish, I'm more likely to add a dose of Siracha, though.

Probably the best hot sauce I've ever tried, but don't use regularly, was a peach and habanero hot sauce made in my home city of Atlanta. Very spicy, but with a sweet and tangy note that I absolutely love. My wife and I tasted it at the Vortex Burger joint, and I haven't seen it since. There's also a buffalo cheese sauce that is used for dipping fried chicken wings at a Diner in the town I live in. It's spicy but creamy, and I put it on pretty much everything I get when I go there.

I use a hanero honey and apple mix. I use the apple instead of peach, but it's pretty easy to make.

2 habaneros(deseeded)

2 apples(can substitute pure apple sauce for time)

2 tsp vinegar

1/2 onion(diced)

1 clove garlic(diced)

1 tsp honey

put all the ingredients (minus vinegar and honey) in food processor, and have at it.

Pour the paste into a frying pan on low to medium heat until simmer.

Add the vinegar and honey and stir til it's evenly distributed.

Strain into your serving dishes.

• 5 weeks later...

As a kid I use to put tabasco sauce on my sandwiches.

I faintly remember trying a sauce that was really hot but I wouldn't be able to say what kind it was.

Sadly, nowadays at my age any kind of really spicy foods tears my stomach up. So now I usually stay away or go with mild sauces.

I find Tabasco boring and lacking in the complex flavours department, but maybe that's just me. When I reach for a bottle of hot sauce, and this goes for pretty much anything, I'm grabbing Cholula. It's milder, but adds a lot more flavour. If it's an asian dish, I'm more likely to add a dose of Siracha, though.

I suppose I presumed the point of Tabasco was to be one-note. That way it becomes part of the flavor profile of the dish without overwhelming existing flavors. Something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived