Home

Marius Fett's Random Dabbling!

Marius Fett

Salutations, good people! :D

I've recently caught the modding bug again and i've decided to try and get some old ideas of mine finally fleshed out, turned into mods and out there for you to enjoy.

There's nothing too major in the works just yet, though I do have one or two smaller projects that're either nearing completion or are at a stage where some community feedback is needed, so that I can proceed accordingly.

The first such project is a portrait replacement pack for TSL, which though it isn't an original idea, seemed to be a nice simple way to ease myself back into modding. Plus I never liked Obsidians portraits anyway and am looking forward to the prospect of replacing them with something in my own personalised style.

Anywho, i've only made Lightside portraits so far, as i'm more looking to get the style right than the final portraits, though I must admit, I don't think these look half bad! :p

As soon as i've got a good enough idea of what people think of them and what you guys think might need to have altered, i'll start work on the Darkside portraits and start cleaning things up ready for release.

Anyway, screenshots!

LS_zps2922829b.jpg

Oh, and here's the new portrait for Bao-Dur's Remote:

po_premote_zps0e78e083.jpg

Also, some of you may remember the lightsaber hilt pack I started on a while back, consisting of all the hilts from the original Jedi Knight game.

After I stopped modding last time, I unistalled Windows (modding is the only thing I use Windows for) and deleted all my files. Well I decided to re-model the hilts from scratch and get back to work on it, so here's a 'preliminary render' of the models:

jksabers_zps0fc747fa.jpg

Not the most exciting first post a WIP thread has ever had I know, but i'm adopting a 'slow and steady wins the race' this time around and working on small parts at a time, so that I don't burn out and give up as I have done in the past.

A new version of Rahn/Kyle's lightsaber is on the way, which will finish off the pack nicely. I know technically there should be another hilt to make it 'truly' complete, but Gorc's lightsaber is basically a bigger version of Pic's, so it's in there in some form. An actual scale model of it would be too big to have a practical use in game.

I haven't done quite enough work on my other little projects to warrant the posting of screenshots just yet, but watch this space over the next few days!

All looks good thus far!

Cheers, Specter! :)

Love the Remote portrait. It's got character :)

Hope you can deal with the UVWunwrap issue for those hilts.

I like the Remote portrait, too. If you look near the bottom there's a little red part that makes it look like a smiley face <3

Ja, I hope I can get that issue sorted too, it's really irritating!

As soon as I apply the Unwrap Modifier, Max freezes up and I get the whole '3ds Max has encountered an error and needs to close' thing... Bloody typical! :carms:

Well, welcome back! Seems like just yesterday you were approving my mods on kotor files... ;) good luck on your (current and future) projects!

Thanking you kindly, good sir! Heh, KotORFiles... Those were the days!

The 'backstage' area is still buggered from what I can gather or i'd get back over there in a heartbeat! Good times! :D

Nice to see you back, Marius. The lightsaber hilts are looking good. :)

Good to be back, Darth! Surprised how much I can remember to be honest, I thought i'd have to relearn everything! :(

Now where's Rhen Var, eh? :p

Psssst! Still hoping for the Jedi Malak pc head you worked on sometime ago. Just sayin'.

Jedi Malak PC Head, you say? I remember fixing the animations on the Jedi Malak model a few years ago and I believe I released it as a selectable PC...

Unless you mean something else i've forgotten about? :p

Oh. Well that's... Confusing... Or stupid... Take your pick! :xp:

I do apologise, DK! I shall add that to the list of things to do!

I wonder what the hell I was playing at? :p

Hilts look tasty. Nice to see you're back in the saddle!

Fanks! <3

It's good to be back! :D

Ok gang, I made some more portraits last night for the Dark Side versions and i'm pretty happy with what i've got.

Buuuuut, I wanna know what everyone else thinks, so here we go:

dsportraits_zps4320b001.jpg

As you can see, i'm really not a fan of the zombie Dark Side transitions you get with the vanilla game, so i've used the regular textures for the heads in the portraits.

I kinda think some look better than others, but as I say, i'd like to get some feedback.

Just need to make portraits for the temporary Party Members (3C-FD, B4-D4, T1-N1) and possibly make a new Atris one, since there's one in the game files anyway.

Quite enjoying this portrait making business actually, so I may end up making a pack for KotOR as well as for TSL!

As soon as I apply the Unwrap Modifier, Max freezes up and I get the whole '3ds Max has encountered an error and needs to close' thing... Bloody typical! :carms:
Interesting. What version of Max? Does it happen with any mesh, or just the sabers? If the later, how did you model them? Have you tried converting them between Editable Mesh and Editable Poly?

If needs be, perhaps try exporting the meshes to GMax, unwraping there, then importing back into Max. The best way would be via OBJ, using the Renx scripts for GMax. Before you go that far, maybe just export the meshes from Max as an OBJ and then reimport back in to a new scene. See if you still get the crash when adding the modifier.

Max 2010 i'm using, DP. Problem appears to be solved now anyway, I unistalled Max, blitzed it from my registry and gave it a fresh install.

Everything's ship shape and sorted now!

Now to see if I remember how this mapping business is supposed to work... :p

• 2 weeks later...

Archived