Home

"Statement: Your argument is invalid!"

So, it seems most of my classmates believe that the KOTOR franchise sucks.

Everybody has the right to voice their opinion.I'm well aware of the fact that not necessarily everybody will agree with me about how awesome those games were (and still are).But the way my classmates came to this conclusion was just plain odd.

Anyway,I decided to show them the game (the second one).I loaded my last saved game (final boss battle with Darth Traya).Upon discovering the mechanics,gameplay,graphics,combat system and so on, they had already started being overly judgemental.Of course they didn't give a damn about the story,plot,character development,which are the highlights of both games (hell,they don't even know a single thing about those) , because all that matters to them consists of mainly two things:

• graphics
  • fighting

After that they began bashing the game for no real reason whatsoever (I mean they had literally played the game for no more than 4-5 minutes).

So, what do you think about this?

So, what do you think about this?

Not sure what's left to think about. It's their loss.

I can relate to those who have some reservations towards the combat system though. I only started to play KotOR almost a year after it was released. I was (am) a big fan of the Jedi Knight series and the turn-based system turned me down at the beginning, but I've learned to appreciate it as time went on.

Pretty much what Alexrd said - their loss. You also have to keep in mind that tastes and interests differ, so not everyone is going to like the same type of game as you or I. I have a friend whom I've tried to get to play Dragon Age Origins, the last Bioware game I consider to be awesome. He tried it, played the mage origin as far as I know and stopped there. Just wasn't his type of game, as he doesn't like turn-based systems, especially turn-based combat. His loss, but I kind of get where he's coming from.

By that same account, I don't find Skyrim appealing at all, even though it is praised all over, has a modding community and has won all those awards. Doesn't matter to me, the game simply doesn't interest me, so I don't want to try it.

Similarly, many find Bioshock Infinite awesome beyond measure, but I find it mediocre (I've finished it completely) and don't really get how so many people can be so into that game. Different tastes and all, I guess. ;)

I think playing a HK-47 greatest hits might convince some of them. That sadistic droid really made the experience enjoyable for me. The game itself, while fun, was not as engaging as the story. Starting them out with the final battle, wasn't the best move, in my opinion. Starting them out with a conversation with HK-47 would likely show them the fun of playing the game. A teaser. Give them a nice conversation where you can choose a dark side option. Heck even a spot where you can use force persuade.

You showed them the end result of the game you fell in love with. By the end you were already drawn into the game. They needed a taste of what made the game fun, the story, and you gave them the part that made the game "okay," the combat.

I had the same problem about people disagreeing with the game. To be honest, all those Call of Duty games and stuff are complete junk, KotOR is one of best games out there and is almost completely moddable. It's their loss that they don't like the game.

I never found the combat to be that annoying in kotor the first time I played. And I also played jedi knight before that. But it did take a while to learn the other parts of the game, like the quests. Many times I didn't know where to go or what do do, so I just stopped playing, and then I came back again and again didn't know what to do, heh.

Oh,and what InSidious said, old games are not cool.

I suppose if your friends weren't aware of the game around the time of it's release, then I can understand their thinking (though I don't agree with it) - especially so if they're comparing KOTOR to something like Skyrim, or other, more recent games.

The games are both now ten years old. Anything ten years old or older automatically is uncool for the next decade. It's a sort of rule of thumb. Once something is twenty years old it becomes retro; at thirty it's simply treated as ancient and to be passed over in silence.

Unless you're a hipster; but I don't think that's a road we want to go down...

Oh,and what InSidious said, old games are not cool.

I'm not sure that's what he said, at all. And I disagree. There are plenty of old games that I return to again and again because of their appeal.

I never found the combat to be that annoying in kotor the first time I played. And I also played jedi knight before that.

I wouldn't say annoying, it just wasn't as appealing/intuitive to me to have a turn-based lightsaber duel or shootout. At least initially.

Unless you're a hipster; but I don't think that's a road we want to go down...

No, it's far too mainstream. Ugh. It, like, sold copies, and was popular.

I'm not sure that's what he said, at all. And I disagree. There are plenty of old games that I return to again and again because of their appeal.

Pretty much. My point was they're unfashionable; but fashion rarely has much to do with quality.

Yes it does...You hear what I saying!!!!! Listen to me!

:xp:

Wow! Ace!!

To kids? Yep

To anyone over thirty? I'm not old.

Depends. If you're on a palaeo- diet, you're nearly dead.

As I am in agreement with most of what is mentioned in this thread, another thought comes to my mind.

Different strokes for different folks!

That's about what it comes down to. I've talked to people who were old enough to remember when the first Star Wars movie came out and just didn't like any of them. Mainly because some were not into Sci-Fi.

I've also talked to people who loved the Star Wars movies, but didn't give a mynock's ass about any of the Star Wars cartoon series, comic books and especially any of the Star Wars games.

So...that's just the way it is. Nothing you can do, really. If they don't like it, they just don't like it.

The games are both now ten years old. Anything ten years old or older automatically is uncool for the next decade. It's a sort of rule of thumb. Once something is twenty years old it becomes retro; at thirty it's simply treated as ancient and to be passed over in silence.

Sad but true. And also, unfair. Some old games are not only entertaining and funny, but also very diffucult. For example, I have a game about 20 years old, called "Submarines". It takes 5 minutes to understand what you have to do, but more than 5 years to finish it. Same goes for an old version of "Space Invaders". Obnoxiously difficult. Frankly, games like "Medal of Honour" and "Call of duty" are pushovers when compared to those oldies when it comes to difficulty level.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, kind of funny to think that KOTOR is that old already. Dated graphics prob don't help much, but sounds like they are more into the superficial aspects of gaming anyway. I see a lot of stuff people play that I wouldn't touch, but which seem very popular. To each their own. First time I played Baldur's Gate 2 was prob several years after it had been out. The graphics were so-so, but the story and charachters were just entertaining enough to finish a game in a genre I'm not crazy about anyway (yep, never played the DA games either....dragons and what not just not my thing). Shooters have lost some of their appeal since I picked up KOTOR. I prefer a game w/a decent story, convos and violence to a straight up shooter (even if those are still somewhat cathartic).

• 1 month later...

I remember that I once introduced almost any of my friends to this game. Only 1 of them liked it, which made me quite sad. I couldn't understand why they would be so opposed to it.

But I have to agree, it's their loss. I can't count the times how often I played this game. Just like now... after not touching the game for long over a year, I feel the distinct urge to replay it.

Too bad I forgot all about modding. I even have all my old files and my abandoned project around.

Different people like different kinds of games. Sometimes that means that they won't be able to appreciate a good game, and that's too bad, but there's not much you can do about it.

Archived