Home

Fine swords and knives...yar!

Zoom Rabbit

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Added a real Japanese nihonto blade to my collection, bringing the total to three. It's a Japanese officer's hara-kiri knife from world war 2.

210714-1958_zps898726f5.jpg

Just a nubbin compared to my sword and short sword, but the polish is in excellent condition. The temper line just pops out at you:

210714-1959_zpsdcbe8f9b.jpg

There are two Japanese characters on the habaki, but I have no idea what they mean yet. Probably a name. Anyone here read kanji?

210714-2014_zps05b4fe45.jpg

This: http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/teen-sends-prank-dead-body-text-to-police-officer/

Aw, kids.

Sometimes they struggle to keep themselves occupied. Those little brains of theirs are so active. Those not yet fully-formed emotional avenues of theirs are not quite fully paved.

So they like to play pranks. Like, for example, sending random texts to people saying they've hidden a dead body.

One 15-year-old girl in Northern Arkansas tried this little jape and the random number happened to belong to someone whose sense of humor was occupationally impaired.

For this person happened to be a police detective.

The Associated Press arrested this tale and said that the girl, from Rogers, Ark., had texted: "I hid the body...now what?"

You might wonder what caused her to anoint the digital world with such words. Well, she reportedly got the idea from something she saw on Pinterest.

Imperfect Parent reported that the Pinterest post read: "When I'm bored, I send a text to a random number saying 'I hid the body... now what?'"

I had no idea Pinterest could be quite so uplifting. I had no idea that if you go on Pinterest you can find suitable subject matter for random dead body texts. Perhaps Pinterest should make an ad campaign out of this--something along the lines of "We'll make your dead day come alive."

In this instance, the police seem to have started an investigation, so were more than mildly annoyed. But they let the girl off with a stiff talking to.

Such is the random nature of life. One minute you're a normal police detective. Then you get a lead to what might be an exciting murder. Finally, you discover it's just some kid larking around.

Serendipity can be so mean.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It occurs to me that I've never posted the actual swords that I use to keep the yard trimmed. :D With both bamboo and blackberries to contend with--the nastiest weeds known to man--I use only high quality Chinese made samurai swords, high carbon steel with full tangs. Both these blades are forged in Longquan, China, and they have been redecorated and re-tied by myself.

170814-1222_zpsc3f0a24d.jpg

My katana. It has a Damascus steel blade with a differentially tempered edge.

170814-1226_zpsa6085f55.jpg

My own decals, for style and swagger.

170814-1226002_zps27aaf8b6.jpg

A handle tied by a digital rabbit. ;)

170814-1229002_zpsa938fbea.jpg

This is my wakizashi (short sword.) The guard has been removed so it can be worn flat; it can be used as a machete when I go hiking. All black, tied with OD green parachute cord marine corps style. Semper fi.

170814-1230_zpsfaf61b11.jpg

Something you don't see every day: a blued sword. It's actually not hard to do--just be careful with the blueing solution, because it's dangerously acidic.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

291014-1735001_zps3bc462ae.jpg

Replica British jungle carbine (Enfield rifle no. 5) bayonet.

291014-1736001_zpsbe109e79.jpg

Long story:

My boss and I were talking about guns at work one day, and I mentioned that I'd recently picked up a 30/30 bolt action rifle. He had about $60 worth of ammunition in that caliber, and no rifle for it, so he would give it to me. He then mentioned that he had an old British Enfield rifle, and wished he had a bayonet for it; I happened to have an old Enfield bayonet worth about $60, so I gave it to him.

Bayonet didn't fit. :dozey: His rifle was a rare 'jungle carbine,' with an even rarer bayonet. I did some looking around online and found that replicas of that bayonet were available...for exactly, you guessed it, $60. Determined to fix up the old rifle, I ordered one. Actually, I ordered two...one for me, as well.

This is the first edged weapon I've bought online. The quality is not up to the par of an antique made to British military specs, but it is cool looking. We'll see if it actually fits the rifle when he gets back from vacation, but it looks right.

I have a sword collection too! Look at these beauties! :shads2:

picture.php?albumid=851&pictureid=9693

Made of refined plastic, circa 2014, most probably of Chinese origin. Note the the subtle spattering of blood stains on the cutlass, and the unusual length of the of kitana blade in relation to its sheath.

Archived