Home

Moving Beyond Existing EU, Lucasfilm Announces New Direction For Star Wars Canon

deathdisco

Link.

Many fans expected that this would happen, and today, it has. Lucasfilm has announced that the future of Star Wars canon will not be dictated by the Expanded Universe of the past thirty-six years. As of today, the official, canonical story of Star Wars consists of "the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content [George Lucas] developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars." (This includes the upcoming Darth Maul comic adapted from TCW material.)

Hmm... Good and bad. I'm personally fine with nuking everything after ROTJ.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still hoping that the Thrawn trilogy will be largely saved by the fact the new films are quite a bit afterwards and early times not mentioned a whole lot. Other than that I'm totally happy with the NJO getting the big boot. Hopefully Legacy survives for now.

I'm still hoping that the Thrawn trilogy will be largely saved by the fact the new films are quite a bit afterwards and early times not mentioned a whole lot. Other than that I'm totally happy with the NJO getting the big boot. Hopefully Legacy survives for now.

The timeline would have to change like it was in the books. I'm sure they could do a story based on it, but have to take certain liberties to make it work.

Mildly annoyed that the KotORs have been junked, but in the end this decision is pointless. Sooner or later, official licensing will expand the canon again with the usual supply of sixth-rate rubbish, and we'll be back at square one. Not that Disney actually cares about that sort of thing, of course.

Mildly annoyed that the KotORs have been junked, but in the end this decision is pointless.

The KotORs aren't completely junked. It only affects the post-ROTJ era of the Expanded Universe.

The decision doesn't really affect me that much. I only care about stuff that is in the Old Republic era.

Yeah, we all knew this would happen at that The Clone Wars would be part of the new expanded canon. As for The Old Republic era stuff and everything that comes centuries before the movies, it's safe... FOR NOW, however, that may change in the future if they ever want to decide to create something during that era and change things.

I know people don't want to hear that, but considering they haven't explicitly stated that all of that content is safe, no one should expect it to be safe. Of course, with all of that said, the article does say that all of the previous EU content will continue to exist, they're just letting people know that it's no longer canon in any sense in relation to the movies any more. Technically, we now have two canons, one that's tied to the movies and one that aren't.

The KotORs aren't completely junked. It only affects the post-ROTJ era of the Expanded Universe.

The decision doesn't really affect me that much. I only care about stuff that is in the Old Republic era.

Junked isn't the right word, as this stuff will remain and will still be sold, but it is not canon, and if JJ decides the Jedi have only been in existence for 1000 years then it will no longer have happened officially.

Jennifer Heddle, Senior Editor at Lucas Licencing, or now the Story Group I guess confirmed earlier today/last night:

(These were specific questions regarding Continuity and the new releases, and not specific to KotOR etc)

1. Yes, the idea of all previous EU stuff being "Legends" now and therefore not part of this new canon/timeline being created, DOES include PRE-ROTJ stuff too. It's EVERYTHING but the films, TCW, and Rebels.

2. Heir to the Jedi by Hearne is currently not to be considered "Empire and Rebellion #3," since books 1 and 2 (Razor's Edge and Honor Among Thieves) are now both "Legends," while Heir to the Jedi will be canonical in the new timeline.

3. The upcoming Son of Dathomir comics will be considered canonical, since they are based on TCW scripts.

4. Yes, the "wipe" does include even the Darth Plagueis novel, and we can assume also the Tartakovsky Clone Wars micro-series, Droids, Ewoks, etc., though there's not been any real focus on determining if any of the older cartoons have any chance at being considered the way TCW and Rebels will be.

5. Fantasy Flight Games is affected in the sense that they appear to not be allowed to create new materials that reference anything they don't want to be considered canonical. No word as of yet on at what point FFG materials will see a cutoff of "Legends" vs. Canon, if there is such a cutoff.

6. Yes, Rebel Heist, despite not yet being out, *is* to be Legends, not canon. The only comic series thus far to be considered canon is Son of Dathomir.

"While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe."

Well I expect more than a few things finding its way back to official canon. A lot of elements have been cluttering the EU beyond repair, but there's also a lot that wouldn't make sense to disregard. Starwars.com pointed to Rebels already including elements of the EU.

I'm a bit saddened Thrawn won't be considered canon, as I feel it was a big part in Luke's arc and established some great elements in the EU, but again, Thrawn and Mara Jade, to name two, might find their way back to the new canon in no time. Either way, it won't diminish my enjoyment of the stories of the EU I like (but now I'll probably do have to resign to never knowing what happened to Sev :p).

Oh, and now no more "Revan Vs." threads, because he isn't canon anymore. Muahahahaha!

I'm a bit saddened Thrawn won't be considered canon, as I feel it was a big part in Luke's arc and established some great elements in the EU, but again, Thrawn and Mara Jade, to name two, might find their way back to the new canon in no time.

Oh, and now no more "Revan Vs." threads, because he isn't canon anymore. Muahahahaha!

Mara Jade IS canon, man! At least, she'll always be my canon.:)

And me and ZM90 were having an AWESOME debate over Revan Vs. Thrawn over Skype the other day. We've declared that it'd be a toss-up decided by the opportunities of war...

Personally, I've never given a crap about what's canon and what's not. To me, the EU is home, and I will always enjoy these adventures.

P.S: The only thing I didn't like about the NJO section was having to say good-bye to Mara...:crybaby:

Does this mean I can stop caring about C-Canon and so on?

Technically, we now have two canons, one that's tied to the movies and one that aren't.

To use a similar, if not completely related example that I've raised before, it's more or less the exact position that Paramount/CBS have had with Star Trek and its licensed works for a long time now, Authors and Game Developers have created a rich universe based on the lore of Star Trek, but series creators and executives haven't been defined by it. (though their EU is considerably more messed up).

Leland Chee has done a great job as Holocron Keeper, and I know George has never let himself be defined by the EU he set in motion, but I think his mistake was actively tying the main Star Wars universe into the EU.

And, as others have said, it's not like they're going to go all Fahrenheit 451 on us and burn anything considered heretical. It's all still there for us to enjoy. Even the Holiday Special. :p

so what you are telling me it is alright for me to disregard the fates of Revan and Jedi Exile within TOR and go with my own demented headcanon?

I disregarded Revan and the Exile's fate as soon as I found out what their plan was for TOR. Now it's just official for me. :D

in the end, this can be a good thing. from a writer's perspective, its frustrating at best to find out that your work has been rendered null and void by an established fanbase because you didn't read a book/comic that you didn't even know existed until the hatemail starts flooding your way.

just my two pennies. ;)

What does that Contract say Alexrd? And not what you think it might say for the purpose of an Argument, what does it actually say?

Many years ago (2007/8?), a writer (don't recall his name right now) who used to participate on TF.N boards back in the day clarified that whenever a writer gets the offer to write a Star Wars novel, on the contract there is a clause that stipulates that the story, characters, etc that are created in it belong to Lucasfilm and that they can be adapted, changed or be completely ommited from canon (or something along those lines). IIRC, the issue was brought out when Karen Traviss quit due to some conflict with the way she portrayed Mandalorians or something...

I'll edit this post with the exact quote and respective link if I find it.

Archived