Home

Moving Beyond Existing EU, Lucasfilm Announces New Direction For Star Wars Canon

deathdisco

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So he steamroller'd KOTOR games, SWTOR, Kyle Katarn, and parts of the Bane trilogy huh?

Meh. That settles it. So since $$$ is what he's after, I'll vote with my $$$. Have it streamed to my computer for free...someday.

Let everyone else vie for your attention, and jump through hoops to get a chance at writing a piece of your legacy...then take a **** on all of them after raking in the $$$ for royalty. Brilliant bastard, I'll give him that.

That pretty much sums up GL for me, among many others. Am I unhappy? Sure. Am I surprised? Not in the least.

Commandments de George Lucas

Thou shalt not have any colors of lightsaber other than the 4 in the films. Ever.

Thou shalt not have rivals to any characters in the films! Ever.

Thou shalt not have creative license under my franchise without my doting obsessive consultation.--Even if accepted, if thou shouldest create such a work, I shall strike thy work to hell!

Thou shalt not accept that "Han shot first".

I know that's pretty cynical, you would be too if your favorite parts got nerfed.

At this point, just about everything I once held dear is either dying due to this kind of dick-headed executive decision making, becoming obscure and forgotten by time, going obsolete, or something in-between. So to save time and avoid stress, I don't really deign to care much anymore.

All while rule 34 of the internet further ruins and makes a mockery. Of everything. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :dev11:

It's not that big a deal... it's not like the legacy EU has suddenly stopped existing and al of the books, comics, games, etc that we own have suddenly disappeared. My copy of Heir to the Empire is still sitting on the bookshelf along with all of the other Star Wars books I own.

If fans still want to hold onto the old EU, they still can. It's still all there, the only difference now is that it's no longer being added to (aside from SWTOR).

So he steamroller'd KOTOR games, SWTOR, Kyle Katarn, and parts of the Bane trilogy huh?

Meh. That settles it. So since $$$ is what he's after, I'll vote with my $$$. Have it streamed to my computer for free...someday.

Let everyone else vie for your attention, and jump through hoops to get a chance at writing a piece of your legacy...then take a **** on all of them after raking in the $$$ for royalty. Brilliant bastard, I'll give him that.

That pretty much sums up GL for me, among many others.

And yet, Lucas has nothing to do with this decision...

That pretty much sums up GL for me, among many others. Am I unhappy? Sure. Am I surprised? Not in the least.

Commandments de George Lucas

Thou shalt not have any colors of lightsaber other than the 4 in the films. Ever.

Thou shalt not have rivals to any characters in the films! Ever.

Thou shalt not have creative license under my franchise without my doting obsessive consultation.--Even if accepted, if thou shouldest create such a work, I shall strike thy work to hell!

Thou shalt not accept that "Han shot first".

I know that's pretty cynical, you would be too if your favorite parts got nerfed.

At this point, just about everything I once held dear is either dying due to this kind of dick-headed executive decision making, becoming obscure and forgotten by time, going obsolete, or something in-between. So to save time and avoid stress, I don't really deign to care much anymore.

All while rule 34 of the internet further ruins and makes a mockery. Of everything. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :dev11:

People always hate on GL, say he's all about the $$ and such, when he's actually a huge philanthropist and a kid at heart.

BTW, he didn't make this decision... it's not his company anymore.

^^^This

It's not that big a deal... it's not like the legacy EU has suddenly stopped existing *brevity* It's still all there, the only difference now is that it's no longer being added to (aside from SWTOR).

Very true. On the brighter side, I suppose we all ought to nab up non canon stuff that doesn't have the 'legends' banner yet. It's now gone from ordinary collectible.

And yet, Lucas has nothing to do with this decision...

People always hate on GL, say he's all about the $$ and such, when he's actually a huge philanthropist and a kid at heart.

BTW, he didn't make this decision... it's not his company anymore.

You're right. It's that damn company who took it over.

You mistake my tone though: it was a backhanded compliment. A little unfair perhaps, but a sober assessment.

It is exactly like Korriban. Lucas didn't like the name because it sounded too much like "Coruscant".

If that's the reasoning, I can understand. Casual viewers would be a lot more familiar with Coruscant than Korriban. It's just like all those name changes in Game of Thrones.

On an unrelated note, is anyone else betting they'll keep the establishment of the New Republic, but drop its reorganization into the Galactic Alliance?

• 3 weeks later...
If that's the reasoning, I can understand. Casual viewers would be a lot more familiar with Coruscant than Korriban. It's just like all those name changes in Game of Thrones.

On an unrelated note, is anyone else betting they'll keep the establishment of the New Republic, but drop its reorganization into the Galactic Alliance?

Not sure. Why?

@ Prime: It's exactly Korriban... with a different name.

Though, saying that, that doesn't mean that Korriban still can't be used as the ancient name of the sith home-world...

Yeah there could easily be lots of hand-wavey in-universe explanations.

R.I.P Kyle Katarn.
Kyle Katarn transcends canon. :) He will always be a part of MY SW universe!

It's not that big a deal... it's not like the legacy EU has suddenly stopped existing
Yeah, I never really put too much stock in canon in terms of enjoyment. It isn't like Star Wars hasn't been trampling over its own canon for years. The PT contradicted a whole bunch of stuff.

Maybe it is because we are Macross fans that canon and consistency was never relevant to us :)

Well, all the more reason to embrace the non-canon.
The Republic comics and CW micro-series are just as much real Clone Wars to me, regardless of TCW show, canon or not.

I would presume so. Hopefully the ST New Republic will not be the debacle the EU version was.

Honestly I can't blame them, trying to continue the series in any meaningful way within the constraints of the massive unwieldy EU of wildly varying quality would have been insanity. The EU stuff that I actually like, I like whether it's canon or not. Now I suppose we just have a Star Wars multiverse just like the sorta thing Marvel does. No big deal.

Then again, I'm the guy who, if I'd bought Star Wars, would probably end up purging everything but ANH, ESB, and certain parts of ROTJ from canon. I'm just that XTREME and edgy I guess.

If they didn't have to nerf the KOTOR games and SWTOR (seriously that far back they aren't really hurting anything) I'd maybe start to support Disney's reincarnation of it. Keeping Kyle Katarn would have been nice too.

But alas, the market is being reset and kiddified as it's marketed to the younger generations now. Knowing my luck if I ever have kids, either they'll be a bit contrary to me and either go magic or star trek...or they will end up liking the Disney reincarnation of Star Wars.

It was naive, though, to believe something like this wasn't going to happen eventually. It has been done in the comic markets.

Right now the retconned stuff is all relegated to "legends", but I imagine soon enough they'll do the multiverse thing as my friend above said and find a way to re-integrate it. I mean, hell they did Soul Calibur 4, and different comics/content companies are doing crossovers all the time now it seems.

Don't like this iteration? Take an alternate dimension of this universe.

Meh...Whatever...

Because if you overthrow one government, you have to set up a new one in its place, and the whole point of the Rebellion was to restore the Republic.

Ah. In that case I would throw my tickets in as well.

Archived