Home

Moving Beyond Existing EU, Lucasfilm Announces New Direction For Star Wars Canon

deathdisco

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At first I was really upset about this whole thing. Then I realized that the New Jedi Order books completely ruined Star Wars for me. So I'm trying to convince myself that rendering it all non-canon means I can appropriately pick and choose which parts of the EU I like and which I don't. So maybe this isn't a bad thing after all.

Still pretty sure the new films are going to suck. (Naturally I would love for Disney to prove me wrong on that.)

Personally I never really put much stock into the stuff after ROTJ. As I said before if they pretty much leave Kyle Katarn and the ancient history up to the bane trilogy of novels alone, I'm not too broken up by it.

I always thought the infinities were an interesting bunch of takes on events in the films. Like Marvel and DC, there should be multiple dimensions. That way there's no conflict of canon and creative license is free to flow, and nothing is marginalized.

I'd love to see an alternate dimension where the alternate ending of ROTS took hold. Or one where Luke and Leia saw Vader redeemed to Anakin Skywalker, and donned the white variant of his armor, as they hunted the Emperor down.

Whatever may come about, I'll watch the new movies even if it hurts and it sucks a golfball through a 500ft. garden hose.

Think of this as a reboot, sort of like how Man of Steel rebooted the Superman movie franchise last year, except that we're just keeping the movies and the Clone Wars animated series.

If we're looking for a Superman analogy, Superman Returns would work a lot better than Man of Steel.

If we're looking for a Superman analogy, Superman Returns would work a lot better than Man of Steel.

Except that Superman Returns wasn't a reboot. They still used the Christopher Reeve story universe.

Except that Superman Returns wasn't a reboot. They still used the Christopher Reeve story universe.

They ignored everything after Superman II, and kept the things before. Much like they're now ignoring everything after RotJ but keeping the things before.

It's kinda funny, right now SWTOR is in like some kind of limbo. It's the only piece of legacy EU content that is still adding to the legacy EU content since everyone involved still wants to keep the game alive in order to make all that delicious moneys. That means at some point there's going to be more expansions which adds more to the legacy EU cano...er...not-canon... *looks around*

It's kinda funny, right now SWTOR is in like some kind of limbo. It's the only piece of legacy EU content that is still adding to the legacy EU content since everyone involved still wants to keep the game alive in order to make all that delicious moneys. That means at some point there's going to be more expansions which adds more to the legacy EU cano...er...not-canon... *looks around*

I'll try and find the link, but TOR has also been deemed Legends (Non canon), but like you say, they're still gonna want to make money off that lol, Not sure how I feel about this.

(not aimed at Lynk) And before I get the "the EU was never canon" bashing, it WAS considered continuity/canon unless otherwise stated, now, however, it is NOT considered continuity/canon unless it is used in the new Canon ie; Rebels or the films.

Yeah, SWTOR is part of the legends EU now just like everything else. I'm sure all they'll need to do to justify the continuation of the game will be something along the lines of it being the last hurrah for the legacy EU and >insert PR spin here<... which is fine with me lol.

I just realized that until further notice, Korriban will forever be known as Moraband in official Star Wars lore.

Nooooo.

Better Moraband than Pesegam. According to the wiki, that was another name for it at one point roughly 25,000 years BBY.

@ Prime: It's exactly Korriban... with a different name.

Though, saying that, that doesn't mean that Korriban still can't be used as the ancient name of the sith home-world... actually, now that I think about it, this brings into question other names and such for various other things that only exist in the old (EU)...

I mean, in the upcoming movies, if there are children of Han and Leia, will they use the already existing names or will they come up with a totally new name for their kids? Is Balmorra, Nal Hutta and Dromund Kaas still planets that exists or have they been wiped clean from all Star Wars lore completely? I get that some things will end up changing in the new canon, but there's a lot of good material that can still be used. Perhaps the same characters won't return in the new stories and we won't see the same kind of events occurring, but I'd hate to see them drop EVERYTHING completely.

Plus, Boba Fett's dead at this point, right?

I get that some things will end up changing in the new canon, but there's a lot of good material that can still be used. Perhaps the same characters won't return in the new stories and we won't see the same kind of events occurring, but I'd hate to see them drop EVERYTHING completely.

Considering one of the first new novels is written by John Jackson Miller, who wrote the KotOR and Knight's Errant comics, we might already see some old EU stuff brought into the new canon. I can imagine for these veteran Star Wars writers it'll be hard to shake off the old EU and they might unwittingly already be writing about planets or starships or whatever else that at this point aren't canon.

I haven't watch those episodes yet. Is it a Korriban clone?

It is exactly like Korriban. Lucas didn't like the name because it sounded too much like "Coruscant".

I was miffed at first when I heard about the name change, but pacified when they kept it looking just like Korriban as I remembered it. Lucas Film explained it as there are many different names for different places throughout history.

You should watch the episodes - it's a fantastic arc.

Archived