Home

Garden Art Studio (aka large shed) build

RoyTordesLegend

As some of you may have read, I'm attempting to build an Art Studio/Workshop in my (small) garden. I am building this myself bit by bit, pretty much designing it on the fly in my head. I am hoping to end up with something a bit like this....

hanleypent128large.jpg

....heres my progress over the last couple of weeks.

1) Levelled garden and dug shallow foundations, started laying gravel and breeze blocks.

build1_zps07f721d9.jpg

2) Finished laying gravel and breeze block foundation

build2_zpsf692f818.jpg

3) Truck load of timber arrived, started building a frame for the floor

build3_zpsede1328b.jpg

4) Floor frame completed

build4_zpse60b511d.jpg

5) Wall frame started

build5_zpsaf727535.jpg

5) More work on Wall frame

build6_zps4f79a69e.jpg

6) Wall Frame almost complete

build8_zps3c940e14.jpg

7) Roof Rafters installed

build10_zps8f9a4ec4.jpg

8) Another photo, just 'cause I felt like it

build9_zpsc349643a.jpg

I'm now out of cash, so it'll be another month before I do any more work. I know you're probably not that interested, but as I did say I would post up some pictures, I thought what the hell! :D

P.S. The building itself is nigh on perfectly spirit level perfect, it's the fence behind that's wonky!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of the greenhouse my dad built behind the house where it couldn't be seen from the street when I was a kid...

Looks good, Roy. You should put the fridge in before you finish the walls; otherwise, you'll limit the amount of beer you can put in there. :max:

Looks good, Roy. You should put the fridge in before you finish the walls; otherwise, you'll limit the amount of beer you can put in there. :max:

I'm gonna have massive doors on it. Anyway, I can't afford a big fridge :(.

Looks to me like RoyTordesLegend is trying to hide a couple graves in the backyard. Hmmm haven't seen DrMcCoy around today.

You're the second person who has suggested they're graves mim....if the coppers turn up wanting to rip up me floor, I'm going to be mighty annoyed.

Maybe you should just stop here permanently and grow some pretty vines all over it? Plant some rosebushes around it? You could rent it out for bacchanals...

EDIT: With a little more sanding, that is.

Rough sawn treated outdoor timber really doesn't sand down that well lol.

Awesome, Roy.

Thanks Ray, I'm hoping it'll be finished in a couple of months....so much so that I might be making future posts from out there :D

Thanks Ray, I'm hoping it'll be finished in a couple of months....so much so that I might be making future posts from out there :D

I build one large bed/extra level into the kids room for the older kids last year, it took me amlost two months, may I'll find those pictures...

Nice, Ray. The crossbeam coming off the door jamb will hit an adult in the forehead if he tries to enter, but children can scamper through unscathed.

I see what you did there. ;)

I have used a loft bed for several years now. The space underneath has become a library of sorts, with two book cases and a model display case. The air gets stuffy up by the ceiling, but a fan fixes that.

Archived