Home

Ripping CMI animations

Udvarnoky

For reasons too insidious to articulate publicly I'm looking to rip all of the animation frames for the Madame Xima character. Before I resort to a strategy that's reckless and calorie-burning and heavily reliant on the Prnt Scrn button, I'm wondering if this particular nut has ever been cracked before by any of you folks known to do unholy things with SCUMM resource files.

Thanks.

All right, pin your ears back and I'll give you the benefit of my 5 minutes spent Googling and experimenting. Someone who knows more than me might appear soon, but equally RoyTordesLegend might just turn up talking about sheds so you'd better take what you can get.

This site contains links to download some of the old LucasArts ripping programs, including the excellent SCUMM Revisited:

http://www.freewebs.com/lucasstyle/downloads.htm

I thought that SCUMM Revisited 3.0 sounded approximately 1.5 times as awesome as SCUMM Revisited 2.0, so that was my first port of call. Chrome told me it was a malicious file and wouldn't let me download it. Danger Will Robinson! Abort! Abort!

So I downloaded the dowdy old SCUMM Revisited 2 and used that to open resource files like COMI.LA1 from the game CD-ROM. Back in the glory days you could download annotation files for each of the resource files, which when installed alongside SCUMMRev would tell you what each of the mystery items represented, but those days are gone. I don't know where you get annotation files now.

Fancy a spelunking trip out onto the wilds of the internet? Good. Let us know how you get on.

Anyway. Expand a LFLF entry and if you're lucky you'll see a AKOS section in there. Right-click that and be all like "File Dump". Save it somewhere. Then download AkosView from the same site and use it to look at what the AKOS file actually is and curse your luck that it's a completely different animation to the one you want. (Cursing may be reduced if you can track down the SCUMMRev annotation files). Repeat forever until you're convinced you've been through every AKOS file in the entire game and still haven't found what you're looking for, like U2.

That's the theory anyway. When I tried to download AkosView, Chrome reckoned it was also a virus so I turned off my PC in a panic. I'm typing this from the toilet, in the dark in case the virus has got into the electricity. I think I can hear it scratching at the door.

And I guess SCUMM Revisited 3 might just do the whole thing in one package, if you can avoid getting computer AIDS when you download it.

Hope that helps!!!!

Archived