Home

Deflecting Blaster Bolts Baseitem property

So...

As I'm working on this large Saber mod, nearing completion, as gaping bug rears its ugly head. One that is so frustrating that you'd think it never should have existed.

The way the mod works (for sake of organization) is it creates a new baseitem for each new saber hilt model added, the model variations being the colors variants of each hilts.

When adding them to baseitems.2da, I copy the corresponding original lightsaber row and create a new one with the updated values (which are only itemclass and default model)

Works fine in-game, but as Mr. Phil pointed out, the new sabers lack the ability to deflect blaster fire.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a separate place that this property is set or if I'm missing something... or if I've dug a really deep hole this time...

If we can't find a solution, not all is lost...

I've figured if I can manage to fit 52 saber hilts of each type (max). There aren't nearly that many double or short sabers, but I may run into issues with singles.

I may also get rid of some of the colors - azure, amethyst and crimson, for instance we can probably do without.

Only issue then is we lose all of my fancy naming conventions.. but it's probably more important that the mod works properly - who cares about fancy names?

I took a look. I didn't see any other 2DAs or anything in the item properties that might be involved in blaster deflection. I also tested a couple things in the game. Adding a blaster bolt deflection increase property to the lightsaber doesn't affect anything. Also, a character with the Deflect Force power wielding the new lightsaber base item will deflect blaster bolts with the hand, just as with any non-lightsaber weapon.

So, I hate to be the guy to say this, but it's probably hard coded.

I've also heard that adding lightsaber base item can cause a bug with Force Jump, though I haven't tested that personally.

I took a look. I didn't see any other 2DAs or anything in the item properties that might be involved in blaster deflection. I also tested a couple things in the game. Adding a blaster bolt deflection increase property to the lightsaber doesn't affect anything. Also, a character with the Deflect Force power wielding the new lightsaber base item will deflect blaster bolts with the hand, just as with any non-lightsaber weapon.

So, I hate to be the guy to say this, but it's probably hard coded.

I've also heard that adding lightsaber base item can cause a bug with Force Jump, though I haven't tested that personally.

Well, it's not too big of a deal, although I lose my pretty naming conventions for the models, and it puts a limit on the number of saber models I can add to the game. The issue with Force Jump just makes it all the more apparent that it needs to be done.

Archived