Home

2014 World Cup

Ping

Anyone here going to keep up with the World Cup in a week? Which team(s) will you support? I'm hoping the US can get out of their group, but that probably won't happen considering it's the group of death.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Croatia will be clobbered by everybody in that group. :D

And even if they pass to the knockout stage, they'll be up against either Spain or the Netherlands, so I'm not holding my breath. :)

I'll be rooting for the underdogs, someone like Uruguay or Belgium who can maybe pull off a surprise.

Croatia will be clobbered by everybody in that group. :D

And even if they pass to the knockout stage, they'll be up against either Spain or the Netherlands, so I'm not holding my breath. :)

I'll be rooting for the underdogs, someone like Uruguay or Belgium who can maybe pull off a surprise.

I wouldn't be so sure. Mexico has been god-awful lately, so it's pretty realistic to me that Mexico will get clobbered by everyone. ;) I actually have Croatia down to advance.

Belgium, obviously. We've been waiting a long time for our team to return to the international competitions, so it goes without saying everyone is getting into it! And we actually stand a chance of getting some remarkable results. If we get through the group, we don't have to be afraid of anyone. I don't see us actually getting farther than quarterfinals, though.

Other than that, I've always supported Australia, but... yeah... they'll get stomped in their group. Chile, as well. They charmed me 4 years ago with their open, attacking style. I'm hoping they qualify in their group (preferably taking the place of the Netherlands ^^). And I always support the little teams, just for the heck of it. Honduras, Costa Rica, Iran, always fun to watch.

Indeed. For what they've played, a tie would be fair.

Missed that game, unfortunately. I'm currently in Brussels and was meeting up with an old friend.

Anyways, I thought only one of the refs on the list was bad (Mark Geiger, as anyone who has watched MLS can attest to), but I'm utterly astounded that there have been controversial calls already.

Caught part of the Cameroon-Mexico match, where the officials were pretty awful in calling at least one or two legitimate goals offsides. Hopefully the next two matches won't be as bad.

Van Persie's equaliser. Oh man. That was a gorgeous goal. So were three of the other four, sure (one of them being sheer dumb luck more than anything). But that goal will be on the highlight reels for the rest of the tournament, I would say. I'm glad that the match didn't come down to one poor officiating decision with that "penalty" Alonso managed to sell.

So far this tournament has had some incredibly questionable officiating, if you ask me. With the state FIFA is in these days, a few people I know are of the opinion that the tournament is rigged for a Brazil/Argentina final, guaranteeing a South American victory.

I feel as if a lot of people underestimate just how badly the Dutch needed to do well against Spain, even if it was the only real victory they achieved. It was a matter of principle, and I never had any doubt that it would be a scoreless draw at the very least. A crushing victory is nice, though.

Now if they can manage to channel that level of passion and determination into the rest of the tournament, maybe they'll do better than the Quarter that Van Gaal has said is his highest ambition for this tournament.

And that "penalty" for Spain was ridiculous. Nevertheless, a great game with great goals.

Glad to hear someone outside my general associates say as much. Even the commentators on CBC were labeling it a valid, albeit controversial penalty. It was a joke, plain and simple. But I don't intend to harp on it, since in the end it doesn't really have much of an impact at this point.

Also, Italy - England 2:1. A solid game, especially when you take into account the temperature and the condition of the pitch.
Dat Pirlo.

The Costa Rica victory was great. Totally unexpected, but against an uninspired Uruguay, who can't seem to make the game against lesser opponents.

Archived