Home

2014 World Cup

Ping

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Belgium left in pretty late against Algeria. I'm guessing there were some nail biting moments, eh Miltiades? :)
Boy, I must have punched a hole through the air after the 2-1. First half was really bad, second was better but they can still do so much better. The tempo is the biggest working point for this team, if they can up their tempo, they'll be a force to be reckoned with.

^ Wasn't much of a game to be honest. All the action was in the first 10 minutes and the last 10 minutes. Ghana had most of the possession, but couldn't do anything with it.

In other news, Croatia demolished Cameroon (been celebrating all night :)) and Spain crashed out to Chile. Had money on Chile, so a double win for me. :D

USA managed to beat Ghana. Missed the game thanks to awful wifi in rural France. To anyone who saw the game, how did either team play?
You could see Ghana was the better team. In fact, Ghana probably is the best African team on this tournament, going by the first group matches. They did have a lack of creativity in the final third. USA played to their strengths. Left possession to Ghana and waited for quick counterattacks. The very early goal dictated the rest of the game and the quick 2-1 after the equalizer was a decisive blow to Ghana's belief.

Good job, Chile and Croatia! I was expecting this outcome for Spain, to be honest, after their match against the Netherlands. Because I feel like Chile is a better team and has been more impressive than the Netherlands have been so far. It'll be interesting to see who's gonna go out on top in that group, because number two gets to play against Brazil in all likelihood.

Urghh... I would like to support my country, Greece, but it's pointless, so moving on... (I'd root for Japan too, but they're following us throught the exit door, so...)

Then it's Spain-wait, they were knocked out that fast? What the hell?

All that's left for me to support now is Argentina and Germany (and Russia, if they make it with that goalkeeper of theirs). Personally, I'd fancy a good Germany VS Netherlands final myself... I also feel sorry for the Australians, they gave it everything they had but didn't make it. Yet, I salute you, Kangaroos, well played football indeed!

2-1 loss again for England, we are number 2 behind America in the world's most hated countries so I don't expect sympathy, but I think we need to go out, if only to push the team to make better decisions and team member choices. It's hard when you make a sport popular and make it your national pastime, yet aren't actually any good at it. It doesn't help that the majority of our Leagues are made up of foreign players, give's us a false sense of our skill, as the Premier League is so popular.

I don't understand what went wrong with England. They always used to play attacking football, but now they only played on counter attacks, which is even more strange considering their team is relatively young. I guess Hodgson is to blame. :giveup:

France really surprised me last night. That's the way to play football - nothing too complicated, fast accurate passes and shoot whenever you get the chance, no matter the distance. As much as I dislike the French team, that was the performance of the tournament so far.

i went downtown to watch the game here in my hometown. the atmosphere was like watching an NFL playoff game where everyone in the bar was pulling for the same team. it was loud; the beer was flowing; and we got rowdy. it was just awesome to be with other Americans getting into a game like that, and it wasn't American football.

looking forward to USA v GER!!!

i went downtown to watch the game here in my hometown. the atmosphere was like watching an NFL playoff game where everyone in the bar was pulling for the same team. it was loud; the beer was flowing; and we got rowdy. it was just awesome to be with other Americans getting into a game like that, and it wasn't American football.

looking forward to USA v GER!!!

Sounds nice! I think I saw somewhere it was the highest viewed soccer game in America ever. Being in Belgium atm, I stayed up until about 2:30 in the morning watching it in a bar with only about 3 other people, bartender included. Even with so few people, it was pretty animated, since the one Portuguese customer and the bartender got into an argument about Ronaldo's performance. I felt like it was the start of a joke, actually (So an American, a Belgian, and a Portuguese walk into a bar...) :xp: Brussels was also going nuts from the Belgian win against Russia. Speaking of that particular group, was anyone expecting Algeria to win 4-2 against South Korea?

Speaking of that particular group, was anyone expecting Algeria to win 4-2 against South Korea?
Who knew that'd be the most exciting match of that group? (thanks to a blundering defense, it must be said)

But who expected Suarez to bite again? What a weird little dude. I'm a bit sad Italy is out. They didn't play good in their last two matches, but even only for Prandelli I'd have wanted them to go through.

And now we're getting a Costa Rica-Greece second round match-up. What the hell... This World Cup is so strange.

But who expected Suarez to bite again? What a weird little dude.

That's an understatement. :D

And now we're getting a Costa Rica-Greece second round match-up. What the hell... This World Cup is so strange.

A 93rd minute penalty. And a dubious one at that. I'm definitely cheering for Costa Rica in that one.

Chile were robbed, plain and simple. They deserved to win so much more than Brazil, who got through on luck more than anything.

You can say the same thing about Mexico in today's game. They dominated for 88 minutes and got taken down by a lucky rebound and another 90+ minute dubious penalty.

You can say the same thing about Mexico in today's game. They dominated for 88 minutes and got taken down by a lucky rebound and another 90+ minute dubious penalty.

You won't get an argument from me. As much as it pains me to admit, Mexico owned that match with little contest. It seems as though with the exception of Costa Rica, the round of 16 matches thus far have gone against the team that clearly played a better game.

Archived