Home

Sad times... :-(

The Old Days, miss them?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. The Old Days, miss them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Used to.

It's sad when you look at KOTOR Files and see no new mods on there for years, yet this forum is still active. Yet you look at EAW Files and it's respective forums, and it's the other way around. The Latest mod on EAW Files, is April this year.

I do miss the days when mods came out nearly every day or two.

- NOTE: May be exaggerating a bit on that last line -

Is it because SWTOR is out? I myself still play KOTOR/TSL and rarely play SWTOR. So, this poll is to say, do you miss the days.

All of Filefront has a server problem. If you refresh a couple of times, you'll see that the most recent mod upload to KF was on May 7th this year. But a more accurate picture of the state of modding may be looking at DeadlyStream's dowload section.

The modding scene, in short, is moribund rather than actually dead, though KotORFiles is pretty thoroughly zombified at this point.

At the moment, the community averages a couple of mods a month, I think. We're in a lull at the moment, but there always were high and low points of modding activity.

As to the poll question: yes, I miss the old days. However, it's worth bearing in mind that the majority of mods which used to come out were pretty low-quality. The people who have stuck around are, in general, from the group of people who tended to put some time and effort into their mods anyway (though it is by no means all of such people).

As for why there's been a drop-off, KotOR II is nearly ten years old, and KotOR has already passed that mark. Of course interest has dropped off.

The modding community was never exactly huge, never very coordinated, and simply couldn't produce the number of large-scale mods needed to sustain interest in the games over a longer period, mainly because of the difficulty of modding the games, but also the difficulty in coordinating efforts.

If anything, I think TOR temporarily led to a spike in interest, but as I said, the games are both a decade old now.

I do miss them. I was trying out my voice talent but I don't have anything more advanced than audacity.

I was actually starting to get the hang of gmax and some other things for modding. I lost a bunch of files of things I worked on due to memory leaks. I had a worm attack awhile ago, too.

Many programs are now refusing to work and my machine is at an all time low. :(

One of the things I do miss about "the old days" was actually still playing K1/K2. I've still got a drive w/XP on it and hope to give them another run for nostalgia's sake (w/as many non-conflicting mods as possible). But DI and HED are quite right......it's like being nostalgic for the good ole days......but that's still the point....the OLD days. Things have moved on and so do we. That said, I'm kinda amazed this is still kicking (if somewhat) almost 8 years after I joined, no doubt b/c K1/K2 weren't the sole focus of this group (just important ones). It's been fun and frustrating, but life moves on... Speaking of TOR, I wish it were SP and moddable..might almost make me forget the 1st 2 games. :p

They had their time and they were brilliant. SWTOR kinda cemented the end of the single player series and this community is slowly but very surely dying with it. I enjoyed my time on kotorfiles and here on the forums since 2009, but all I can really say is that those days are gone and aren't coming back. Those days were mostly gone around 2012, to be honest.

Well, I hope that's not entirely true about SWTOR. I still find I prefer SP type games over mmo for many reasons, but will concede that the scope of SWOTOR does dwarf many SP style games. That said, KOTOR marked my slide toward a preference for rpg over fps.

I wanna try and make some mods myself after all these years. I just love this place so much, even though I haven't ever really been that active here. I think KotORFiles is done for though tbh. I can't even view files without refreshing two or three times.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^GIMP and 3DSmax are free and downloadable, and DeadlyStream is where it's at, now. ;)

Holowan Labs is still alive and actually I wish I could download that whole subforum as a viewable document because I have not seen this level of mod info on K1 & K2 anywhere else, and it'd be a shame if that all just went kaput. I hope this place stays around long enough, at least another year or two, for me to either afford to repair this old beast or afford to get my new machine at least operable. Sucks not being able to continue what I was working on. Let alone play the games... :(

My work in *EDIT*Gmax partially is responsible for my turning to Daz Studio Pro 4.6...but agan I can't do much of anything in my current state of affairs. I feel like I'm Darth Nihilus and my comp is the Ravager as I am keeping it alive even though it probably should be dead. :D

I second Darth Avlectus. KotOR modding is still alive and kicking. It's certainly past its heyday, but we've got the best tools at our disposal along with a huge wealth of knowledge. Deadlystream is the new place to download KotOR and TSL mods. It may not have the selection that KotOR Files does, but it's way less problematic and has consistent reviewers.

Yes the activity has slowed considerably, but consider the heavyweight activity that has transpired over the past couple of years:

- The release of TSLRCM 1.8 in July 2012 leads Steam to offer TSL for purchase. The mod received incredible press coverage across the net. It also made people who were averse to mods more open towards them.

- Couple that with the release of M4-78EP......

- VarsityPuppet's Duplisaber mod is unprecedented in terms of its customization possibilities.

- Fallen Guardian's Dustil Restoration added some serious content to an otherwise lifeless ;) Korriban.

- Remember the extreme popularity of Handmaiden for Females? There is now a TSLRCM compatible version. Same goes for the Admiralty mod.

- Kainzorus Prime's NPC Overhaul for both KotORs increases immersion 100fold by eliminating the cloned NPCs.

- Logan23's Revenge of Revan, Trex's The Jedi Masters

- Toasty Fresh's weapon model overhauls - Boy was that ever needed badly or what?

- K1 Restoration is alive and kicking.

- Let's not forget the contributions from some venerable modders in this very thread and many others!

I would say the community is in the "quality, not quantity" stage at this point. And what superb quality it is.

Aah, the old days. When I started to sweat to get my first hilt model in the game. Following T7 Nowheres tutorial. What a struggle, but what a pay off.

I remember the big influx of new modders. That was often a bit 'annoying', as the newbies just kept posting the same questions over and over. Though it certainly didn't do the community harm.

As Milestails nicely listed above, we have top quality mods now. And some of the old guru's like DI stick around to show us younger ones the follies of our ways :lol:

Ah, the fun times with DarthDingDong. *sigh*

Another point:

This doesn't have to do with mod creation, but let's not forget the consistent and seemingly never ending requests for messkell's Shores of Death / Evil Temple / Slaugter the Council mods in the request section!

They are by far the most often requested "rare" mods along with AVol's Darth Vader.

Someone did a Korriban TSL mod awhile ago.

That got me wondering what an Ambria mod might look like using Dxun moon module. Freedon Nadd's tomb entrance reskinned to look more like the settlement of Aleema Keto. The Lake colored black to resemble lake Natth and crawling with hississ all around. Junk piles and wreckage.

I scoffed at this idea after awhile. But I don't know. What do you all think of that?

That got me wondering what an Ambria mod might look like using Dxun moon module. Freedon Nadd's tomb entrance reskinned to look more like the settlement of Aleema Keto. The Lake colored black to resemble lake Natth and crawling with hississ all around. Junk piles and wreckage.

I scoffed at this idea after awhile. But I don't know. What do you all think of that?

While I may have loved the idea of that when I joined like 6 and a half years ago, I feel like gaming/marketing has made me a cynical bastard and even though it would be a free player-made mod, I would STILL scoffle at it and think "this is just Dxun my god so bad". My imagination and enthusiasm for games aren't what they used to be.

I think it's possible.

While I may have loved the idea of that when I joined like 6 and a half years ago, I feel like gaming/marketing has made me a cynical bastard and even though it would be a free player-made mod, I would STILL scoffle at it and think "this is just Dxun my god so bad". My imagination and enthusiasm for games aren't what they used to be.

Get uncynicalized. Module reskinning can be quite powerful:

paradise02.jpg

paradise03.jpg

paradise04.jpg

paradise05.jpg

paradise06.jpg

paradise09.jpg

club01.jpg

club02.jpg

club03.jpg

club04.jpg

club05.jpg

In addition, the creation of new areas is in its golden age. The ability to create lightmaps is a huge leap forward, and we're now able to create modules that are on par or better than the originals.

In regard to the SWTOR subject, is the game still the hit with the community that I'm led to believe it is? I don't yet have my computer hooked up to the Internet (posting this from a mobile device), but when I do, will I be too late to join the crowd? I've been told that TOR has almost bled the KoTOR series dry, and I'd hate to miss the final stretch of people actually being into the games.

I guess I'm not as cynical as I might believe yet.

I think it's possible.

Would it take much to move or remove the generators? Or to add some wreckage?

Get uncynicalized. Module reskinning can be quite powerful:

*brevity*

In addition, the creation of new areas is in its golden age. The ability to create lightmaps is a huge leap forward, and we're now able to create modules that are on par or better than the originals.

Isn't that...Manaan?! That took me at least a couple minutes to process.

In regard to the SWTOR subject, is the game still the hit with the community that I'm led to believe it is? I don't yet have my computer hooked up to the Internet (posting this from a mobile device), but when I do, will I be too late to join the crowd? I've been told that TOR has almost bled the KoTOR series dry, and I'd hate to miss the final stretch of people actually being into the games.

It has some people. A solid community. However, once you finish the storyline, all that is left is to play PvP, raids and Ops, catching monthly stuff like bounty contracts...while waiting and hoping for new content and fixes.

Oh, and decking out your character, then submitting pics of your new outfit to TOR Fashion and our very own SWTOR section where you show off your latest gear.

Too bad the site is down or I'd link you to the latest costume (more or less) I used on my character. Lottie (2) was what it was called, except I didn't have a blue and gold dye module so...it was default white and lemon yellow. And I substituted some parts.

EDIT: Found it, page moved. :)

I'll just post an image here:

Custom005action.jpg

So yeah, that costume more or less but for a Jedi Consular and undyed.

/EDIT

I was trying for the Samus Aran look, personally.

BTW...

I took a republic strike team to the maelstrom nebula, and rescued a ~300 year old Jedi called Revan from an imperial base.

Would it take much to move or remove the generators? Or to add some wreckage?

Isn't that...Manaan?! That took me at least a couple minutes to process.

I'm not too familiar with Dxun, but I do believe that the generators could be convincingly removed. Adding wreckage is easily done as well.

Some of them are Manaan. The rest are the Star Forge.

Archived