Home

Death Stars built to fight the Yuuzhan Vong? A Fan Theory backed up by loose evidence

I can't find anywhere else to put this, so I'll put it here. - also, I trust you guys. :thmbup1:

I've been wondering, were the Death Stars designed to fight the Yuuzhan Vong? Because, they're designed to destroy planets, or things of a planetary size. I'm no expert on the Yuuzhan Vong, but I find it odd given what I have learned recently.

No sources that specifically state this as either fiction or fact, but I do have other sources you might find interesting, that may point towards the possibility. All from Wookieepedia, I might add.

Copied straight from the history paragraph of the Yuuzhan Vong Article:

Information of Yuuzhan Vong activity within the galaxy for the next few decades is scarce. It is known that, by 27 BBY, at the start of the Outbound Flight Project, Palpatine had somehow gained knowledge of the incoming Yuuzhan Vong fleet, though he planned to withhold it from the Republic until after his New Order could be instituted. At least one of his subordinates, Kinman Doriana, was informed, however. The distant threat of invasion was also part of the reason Palpatine ordered the destruction of Outbound Flight in order to prevent its occupants from falling into the hands of the Yuuzhan Vong (and also to eliminate six Jedi Masters and 12 Jedi Knights).

Following the end of the Clone Wars, Emperor Palpatine let out hints of the Yuuzhan Vong to the public. One of his official justifications for maintaining the Imperial Navy even after the war had ended was to ward off the threat of extra-galactic invasion

So, Palpatine knew about them from even before the Clone Wars and continued his military build-up, because of it? The Project that would become Death Star, started it's work roughly around that time too. Palpatine may have manipulated the two sides to combine it to make the Death Star. Yeah yeah, the Battle Planetoid project started in 29 BBY, but if Palpatine knew about them from at least 27 BBY, perhaps he knew about it sooner. Or perhaps he saw it as an opportunity later on.

So, I put it to you. What if the Galactic Empire, despite it's flaws, had the best of intentions when they designed the Death Star? If they did not, then why start to build a second one so soon after the first one failed so spectacularly? Also, why create a Superlaser that could target ships as well as planets?

So, I say that The Imperial Military had three purposes:

Destroy ships landing on planets, sometimes with the help of a Death Star.

Their fleet to counter any fighters as they can.

And finally, the Death Star to destroy planets that get over-run

If you're going to mention how Tarkin destroyed Alderaan, from what I think from his pre-destruction of Alderaan personality. I think that the guy was not only power mad, but he also believed in the fear through oppression ideal too much. He did set up the modern Imperial policy of how to deal with the Empire's Enemies, don't forget and I think that he just went too far with his schemes.

Please, speak your mind. But at the same time, please be polite. It's something I've been thinking a lot about, as well as working on for a fanfic.

Oh yeah. Just as an easter egg for you. The Yuuzhan Vong are mentioned in KOTOR and Exar Kun saw something from them. Both of these from the same article, as the one above:

Exar Kun: It would appear that by 3997 BBY, sometime after Exar Kun became the new Dark Lord of the Sith, the Praetorite Vong's slivilith probe creatures had arrived

Canderous, leading on from the last line of the Exar Kun statement: and as of 3963 BBY, at least one scout had reached the Wild Space region of the known galaxy. In that year, a group of Mandalorian Neo-Crusaders under the command of Canderous Ordo encountered what would later come to be known as a Yorik-stronha, disguised as an asteroid in the Crispin system, while chasing a group of pirates in the system's asteroid belt. When Ordo used a thermal generator to melt the frozen methane covering the "asteroid", the Yorik-Stronha, in Ordo's words, "woke up". The asteroid began to spin quickly and then proceeded to fire plasma at the Mandalorians. The extragalactic weaponry was able to melt through the Mandalorian's armor "like wax". The attack on the Mandalorians became the "first contact" with the Known Galaxy.

The probe fled soon after the brief battle with Canderous Ordo's Mandalorians. Ordo followed in hot pursuit, but was unable to keep up with the probe. The Mandalorians were able to track the probe's hyperspace wake to the edge of the galaxy, where the Neo-Crusaders turned back, apparently thinking that the mysterious ship was going on a suicide run into the great void outside the galaxy.

It's obvious that the Yuuzhan Vong have been known, if not KNOWN to the galaxy for millennia.

• 7 months later...

While I acknowledge that this is a possibility, I do think that ultimately it's also possible the Death Star had two purposes: First, to scare rebellious systems into falling in line under threat of annihalation. And second, to defend the Empire against any threats that would pop up. Tarkin as you say got a bit power mad and arrogant, underestimating the Rebellion just as Palpy did.

Had Alderaan's destruction not backfired on the Empire--spurring numerous star systems to pledge their support to the Alliance--it would have eventually been able to turn the Death Star against any outside threats.

• 2 months later...

Y'know, when you lay the facts out like that, I can really see both sides of the theory. I mean, when the Death Star was written into the first movie's script, years before the conception of anything pertaining to the EU, I'm sure the logic behind its design was simply for the Empire to use their nearly limitless resources to build a superweapon capable of keeping dissident systems in line through fear of annihilation. I never knew about the retcon with Palpatine having knowledge of the invasion before the end of the Clone Wars, but I could totally see that. I mean, Palpatine was one self-righteous, high-strung ruler. He thought he was doing what was best for the Republic, even if that meant him taking over. After all, everyone, even the Sith, thinks that they're doing the right thing. No one sees themselves as the villain. So, in short, I could definitely see the plausibility in the theory. The EU just doesn't give us enough evidence to verify it.

By the way, out of curiosity, is there any way you could source the information saying that Palpatine had knowledge of the impending invasion during the Clone Wars? Not calling you a liar, but I'd just never heard of that before, and I'd be curious to read it myself.

• 1 month later...

Archived