Home

[TSL] HK-51 as he appears in SWTOR

Sith Holocron

I redid 47's texture. I think it is pretty much done now, aside from a couple of minor tweaks. Some pics:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
HK_SWTOR_Style_05_TH.jpg HK_SWTOR_Style_06_TH.jpg

HK_SWTOR_Style_07_TH.jpg HK_SWTOR_Style_10_TH.jpg

HK_SWTOR_Style_09_TH.jpg HK_SWTOR_Style_08_TH.jpg

Now on to the 50/51 textures.

Is it possible to make the light for his chest piece more powerful? Not texture-wise, but the light in the model itself?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice work so far, but I have a couple suggestions.

1.There is a very visible seam on the mouthplate area in those closeup screenshots, which lets through the same light as the eyes/chestpiece. This should be patched up.

2. Could we have some shiny shader added to the texture, and make it look more weathered as well? Kinda like Svosh's, found here - http://www.angelfire.com/crazy2/xclone_0101/kotor_mods.htm

3. A port of this model to K1, for the love of god, please.

Damn, that looks a LOT better compared to his old look. If the model gets ported to K1, it should have a really clean look to it, and for this one add a tiny bit more scratches and bits of paint chipped off to match his original TSL appearance.

Is it possible to make the light for his chest piece more powerful? Not texture-wise, but the light in the model itself?
You can adjust the colour of the self-illumination, but I'm not sure if that changes intensity, or just washes out the texture. The colour used by the vanilla model is a mid-grey. I'll have a play with it, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Don't expect emissive on the order of a modern engine.

Does the new light blink like the eyes do when HK speaks?
Yes, the eyes, vocabulator lights, and chest lights all flash when he talks, as per the eyes in the original model.

There is a very visible seam on the mouthplate area in those closeup screenshots, which lets through the same light as the eyes/chestpiece. This should be patched up.
There's no seam. There is purposely a gap in the vocabulator grill. Look at the original texture and the TOR texture.

Could we have some shiny shader added to the texture
Apparently not. I tried, but it doesn't seem to want to work properly, as I mentioned earlier. For whatever reason it ignores the alpha mask and applies the envmap to the whole model at 100%. I'll give it a final try before releasing it.

make it look more weathered as well?
Not by me. If someone else wants to retexture it at some point to do that, that's fine, but I'm moving on.

A port of this model to K1, for the love of god, please.
That was the plan.

If the model gets ported to K1, it should have a really clean look to it, and for this one add a tiny bit more scratches and bits of paint chipped off to match his original TSL appearance.
The vanilla model uses the same texture in both games. While there is allusion to him being more beaten up in TSL, it's not actually represented on either the model or texture. As for K1, I figured he would be slightly less damaged, but he will still have a worn look.

The vanilla model uses the same texture in both games. While there is allusion to him being more beaten up in TSL, it's not actually represented on either the model or texture. As for K1, I figured he would be slightly less damaged, but he will still have a worn look.

The texture is slightly changed in TSL, and is no longer shiny as he was in K1.

K1

Show spoiler
HK47photoshoot1.jpg
TSL

Show spoiler
WeatheredHK-47-K2.jpg

Either way, it doesn't bother me, as I pretty much use the same texture reskin for both games... I believe it was titled "Polished HK-47" or something...grabbed it off of FileFront a long time ago.

EDIT Found the reskin I mentioned:

Show spoiler
99876_2.jpg

Yes, in K1 he uses an environmental map (i.e. cube map) with the texture to fake reflections, in TSL he doesn't. As I said above, my attempt to apply an envmap to him in TSL resulted in it ignoring my alpha. Looks like I will have to play around with appearance.2da and see what they changed.

Now that I look at some freshly extracted versions of the textures, it seems they did add some discolouration/wear to the TSL texture. I must have accidentally overwritten the K1 version when I was extracting the models, so I thought they were the same.

Well, for me, I can't see most of TSL's alpha channeled textures very well, (Dammit Intel...) so no alpha means no semi-invisible HKs. But I hope you figure it out.

Also I just realized, the way HK-51 looks in SWTOR is kind of like a mix between HK-47 and HK-50. HK-51 features a grey paint-job with orange highlights (so it's like a mix of his predecessors), and has an eye color that looks in between 47's Orange eyes and 50's Yellow eyes... maybe Amber or something. I guess it's supposed to signify 51 as being the superior model, being a mix of the two.

TSL envmap column in appearance.2da uses the same "Default" argument as K1 version, which is why people have been manually inserting Mycube/CM_Baremetal in there to make the shiny shaders kick in on various characters.

You could do that, and then have another look at the alpha of the texture. If that doesn't work, I volunteer to tinker with it once this mod's released.

Also, as far as the vocabulator lights go, they should be a little more pronounced I think, now that I know they're intentional - they're kidna hard to see from a distance, as seen on the second image of HK and Exile.

And another question, seeing as the HK-51 in the first post seems to have a different, non-flat vocabulator, will you make that alteration for HK-50s/51s or use the same model as HK-47?

As I said earlier, I may model the TOR head for 51. Not sure yet. Would be a nice break from dealing with textures though.

As to the envmap issue, I sorted it out. It's useful for picking up all the scratches, but it's not really something you can see in a screenshot. It probably needs a video to demonstrate.

Aw hell yeah! Also sorry to possibly add to the modelling work pile, but what about the Belts underneath the Chassis?

Show spoiler
W43O2ol.png
It's only a minor detail, though, so there's no problem with it not being there. Also quick note, HK-47 in TOR has the same belts as well, just in case you do decide to add them.

Alright, good to know. It's only a minor detail anyway. So will the HK-50's get unique heads, or just the HK-47 model with a new paint job? If you were to give them a unique head, maybe it should look like HK-47's head but with a few details that look like HK-51.

Alright, good to know. It's only a minor detail anyway. So will the HK-50's get unique heads, or just the HK-47 model with a new paint job? If you were to give them a unique head, maybe it should look like HK-47's head but with a few details that look like HK-51.

It's simple to just rename the model and textures of the 51s into 50s once it's released, if one so wishes. DP doesn't really need to do that.

Still playing with textures, but here's where I'm at presently:

HK_SWTOR_Style_12_TH.jpg

Went with a SWTOR style texture for 51, but stuck with the blue photoreceptors he has in TSL. 50 is a blueish/greenish metal colour, as in TSL.

Struggling with the envmap at the moment. It really is a piss poor substitute for proper specular. It's difficult trying to find the right level to get some sort of pseudo-reflection/specular without it completely overpowering the base diffuse map. It seems to be very much an all or nothing proposition, with little room for finescale adjustment. I may have to try some of the other envmaps (using cm_baremetal atm). I did try adding my own, but it didn't seem to like that much.

Archived