Home

Grim Fandango: Remastered coming to PC!

Mr.Ze

Remastered version of Grim Fandango is coming to PC!

We all were worried that remastered version of PC-only title ironically won't come out on PC... but, yes, it's coming! Sony and Tim Schafer were pulling a slight prank on us by not revealing a PC version right away, however, here it is, despite Sony's announcement at E3 that Grim Fandango will be PlayStation exclusive, it is coming to PC as confirmed by Double Fine.

More about it:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2452420/grim-fandango-remaster-confirmed-for-pc-of-course.html

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/09/double-fine-confirms-grim-fandango-remaster-coming-to-pc/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's true, and there's already been one patch. Some of the bugs go back to the original (Olivia's twitchiness, primarily). There is a subforum over at DoubleFine if you want to know what's being reported. There don't appear to be any showstoppers (except maybe for people trying to run the game on underpowered machines).

Most of the bugs seem to be graphical. The only thing I noticed apart from the old Olivia animation bugs is some odd distortion on Manny's body when Charlie is holding him up. But I still think that the only fatal problem are from not meeting the system requirements. A very important one is OpenGL 3 for the new whizz-bang graphic and lighting effects. So maybe it just boils down to just how underpowered your machine might be. Or, at least, how capable or up-to-date your graphic drivers are. You could go over to the DoubleFine forums, post your system specs, and ask if anyone has the game running on anything similar. You might get an answer. Maybe even a civil one. Wouldn't hurt to try.

When I played through the game using Residual last year I noticed quite a number of animation glitches. It seems surprising that a lot these have made it into the re-release, but I guess it's to a certain extent unavoidable with an old game that has an engine seemingly quite vulnerable to scripting/animation glitches caused by various hardware configurations. Even when the game was being developed in the 90s they had a lot of trouble with animation glitches, apparently.

I'd be interested to know if the console versions of the remastered edition are as bad. With one platform to test, it should be much easier to identify and fix scripting/animation glitches. As such, those are probably inherently more 'preservable' than computer versions, and would be a wise purchase for those with the devices to run them.

I'd be interested to know if the console versions of the remastered edition are as bad. With one platform to test, it should be much easier to identify and fix scripting/animation glitches.

Playing on PS4 now, I encountered a Manny warp zone on the El Morrow rooftop (pigeon puzzle) in Year 1, where you teleport from one position on the roof to another near the vents—perhaps related to the scripting of the guard pigeons' routines/detection as you approach the main flock—but it's the exact same glitch I encountered on my first playthrough on PC way back when. However, apart from being visually jarring, it is easy to avoid and doesn't break anything. I've seen a couple of other strange placement issues and glitches in animations (only in Year 2 now), but I'm not really convinced they're new glitches, but rather ones that have been present since the original release, and are now preserved.

Overall performance is fine in-game, but saving and loading games seems to chug (almost) to the point of concern.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Hello

I did notice that some animation glitches are fixed. Elevator doors, for instance. Sal's mouth works properly when he leans into frame to say his line about 'the fat man'. And there aren't two ear pieces when Manny picks up the phone in Toto's place. But Olivia is still glitchy. So is the tube-switcher guy's mouth. Kind of makes me think the fixed animation bugs are only the ones Residual has fixed already. Considering the short development period of the Remastered edition, that kind of makes sense.

Archived