Home

Module Hexing

harIII

I've been going through hexing a few a modules so that I can reskin them and I have ran into a strange problem. I've hexed a module at least 5 time using all fresh files and every time it crashes about half way through the loading screen. I hex and renamed all the models, model extensions, walkmeshes, lightmaps, textures, module files, visual, and layout files.

Just now I cleaned the override folder of all these files and the autosave function loaded the last failed module I attempted to create and this time it loaded. The only model I saw though was a sky box which wasn't the same one for the module I'm creating.

I am wondering can the game react negatively to the fact that I am replacing the original ingame models with the updated models. For example:

KOTOR - If I wanted to make Manaan's modules the first planet to travel to and I hex them using m01xx references since 01 refers to the first planet and xx refers to each separate group of modules for that planet.

TSL - If I wanted to make Nar Shaddaa modules the first planet to travel to and I hex them using 001xxx references since 001 refers to the first planet and xxx refers to each separate group of modules for that planet.

If the game refuses this concept then why does it work for the first one I did by replacing the original models with the newly hexed ones?

I've been going through hexing a few a modules so that I can reskin them and I have ran into a strange problem. I've hexed a module at least 5 time using all fresh files and every time it crashes about half way through the loading screen. I hex and renamed all the models, model extensions, walkmeshes, lightmaps, textures, module files, visual, and layout files.

Just now I cleaned the override folder of all these files and the autosave function loaded the last failed module I attempted to create and this time it loaded. The only model I saw though was a sky box which wasn't the same one for the module I'm creating.

I am wondering can the game react negatively to the fact that I am replacing the original ingame models with the updated models. For example:

KOTOR - If I wanted to make Manaan's modules the first planet to travel to and I hex them using m01xx references since 01 refers to the first planet and xx refers to each separate group of modules for that planet.

TSL - If I wanted to make Nar Shaddaa modules the first planet to travel to and I hex them using 001xxx references since 001 refers to the first planet and xxx refers to each separate group of modules for that planet.

If the game refuses this concept then why does it work for the first one I did by replacing the original models with the newly hexed ones?

From my experience with hex-editing, I'd say to double-check that your replacing the text with the same length of characters.

Also, did you wipe the .are, .ifo, and .git of entries(scripts firing, people spawning, .etc)?

Worthy of note is that I was able to replace the Tutorial Hawk in K2 with the normal Hawk, but that was just renaming the .rims...

You know, I really should make a tool for that kind of thing. It'd be a all-in-one thing for the module as a whole(.wok, .mdl, .mdx[if .mdx has to be hex-edited]), and I could do it because of the naming convention("***_" in most cases...)...

Though, I'd need extensive contact with people like you on what gets hex-edited in the module files...

If you have the programming know how, I would gladly have your babies should such a tool come into existence. PM me if you are serious and I will give you all the information you need.

Currently working on two tools right now(a tool for the .git file, and a visual JRL Editor), but rest assured, I will be contacting you within a month. I'm not saying the tools will be ready by then, but I will be contacting you to begin researching the info I'll need.

Also, I recently made a new tool, WalkSwitch. Check my sig.:)

Im currently Hex editing textures in the narshadaa module..I screwed up the first time because instead of using the find and replace option in the hex editor i tried to manually it made a difference. Also by using the model editor to view the files helps as u can output a new mdl and mdx file. I however have not attempted to replace models as all i see in hex is object 45 and piece 23.

Archived