Home

DP's Droid Foundry

So while taking a break from texturing the various incarnations of HK and friends, I figured it might be worth taking a crack at remodelling some of the other droids to resemble their SWTOR compatriots as well.

First cab off the rank is T3-M4. I never liked the KOTOR astromech design much. TOR goes for a halfway point between the KOTOR and OT designs and looks a lot better IMO. For T3, I figured the Jedi Knight companion T7-O1 was the perfect choice, being a superior R2-D2 clone in looks, personality and actions. Here he is in TOR (with a blue R2-like customisation, his default colours are orange/brown):

SWTOR_Astromech_T7-O1_TH.jpg

And here's my take on it for T3 (sans backpack - forgot to add that):

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Astromech_T3-M4_01_TH.jpg

I had to make a few concessions due to the way the T3 rig is set up and animates, so there are some differences, primarily in the body/hull shape. I had to make provision for the probe arm and allow enough clearance for the head movements so it didn't clip through the body. There is unfortunately a bit of clipping that happens in a couple of the probe animations (such as when he is "dead" and what looks to be a physical attack), and the retractable blaster also clips during what I assume is the Power Blast animation, despite multiple redesigns to try and avoid it. I think it's probably acceptable though. Here's a test of his animation set in Max using the new body mesh:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

I really wanted to add a door to the probe arm bay, but there's no way to have it open and close using the existing rig, at least not that I could figure out. Still haven't done an in-game test yet. I need to do the UV unwrap and finalise the meshes first.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the protocol droid is the next one on the list. I always hated how terrible the model was, and especially the way the arms basically just pop out of their sockets when they move. I'm going for what I call the "art deco" style one. If you are familiar with the Gree questiine on Coruscant you'll know the one I mean:

SWTOR_Protocol_Droid_TH.jpg

Still working on the head, but here's the rest of the body:

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Protocol_01_TH.jpg

The upper legs on the TOR original are a bit too spindly for my tastes, so I made mine a bit more chunky. Unfortunately I can't do much with the hands, given the way they are rigged, but I did try to give him something slightly more suitable for a protocol droid.

I was thinking about redoing those white war droids (c_drdwar), the ones you see in the apartment on Taris, although I got errors decompiling the model so I'm not sure if that will be possible. If it is borked I might still be able to export a version without animations and refer to the original as the supermodel.

Are there others? I think the ones on Dxun are c_drdassassin. Then there are some spider-type droids that are pretty crusty looking.

Maybe what you could do is use the replacer function on MDLOps? I suggest that for all the droids in any case, as many of them use emitters which will be lost by simply exporting out of Max and then through MDLOps. You probably lose all the sounds as well by that method. If you use the replacer, they should retain the emitters, animations, and sounds of the original with the new and improved geometry.

I was thinking about redoing those white war droids (c_drdwar), the ones you see in the apartment on Taris, although I got errors decompiling the model so I'm not sure if that will be possible. If it is borked I might still be able to export a version without animations and refer to the original as the supermodel.

Are there others? I think the ones on Dxun are c_drdassassin. Then there are some spider-type droids that are pretty crusty looking.

Yes, these old-looking ones on Dxun. There are olso the spider droids (The Starforge ones, four-legged ones with dual-barrel cannon on their head, and small four legged ones with two claw-arms), as well as the ones walking on one leg seen in Telos base, and small flying sentries seen when the party crashes on Telos' surface.

And obviously the mining spider and humanoid droids, and sensor ball maintenance ones, but I doubt TOR has any designs similar for them.

... and the sensor ball maintenance ones, but I doubt TOR has any designs similar for them.

Well, there's a few way you could go about that. No pictures unfortunately - as I'm typing from work and can't access the MMO sites.

1. Those little floating droids that seem to assist some Strong level folks that will shock you or set you on fire might do. (They are like mini G0-T0's!)

interrogationdroid.png

2. You could also use the Seeker Droids as well. These droids were added with the Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion.

swtor-Seeker-Droid.jpg

3. Kolto Droids are the last option I can think of at the moment.

13964.jpg

Heh, so basically almost every droid in both games. You don't want much, lol.

I will say right now my primary interest is in modelling, not texturing, so chances are that if I am to do more than just a couple then I will simply release the models as a modders resource for someone else to texture.

I updated my previous post with some pictures.
You didn't say what it is you suggest they be used to replace. Looking through the droid models, there are a couple of "mouse droids" in TSL that are sort of blobby floating things, but I can't remember seeing them much in the game. Maybe in the temple on Dxun, that's about all that comes to mind. There's G0-T0 and his clones I suppose, but other than that are there really many floating ball type droids in either game?

Archived