Home

DP's Droid Foundry

Also gonna provide the images of the things I've mentioned.

Dxun Droid

Starforge Spider Droid

One legged droid

Small spider droid

Head cannon spider droid

Tank droid

Cleaning droid

Torture droid - proposed replacement: Imperial Pacification Droid

Mandalorian cache droids

Starforge Spider Droids and the TankDroid please!!!! :lol:

excuse me for my 'naivety' or rather lack of knowledge but ... we here talking exclusively about texturing Kotor/TSL models right? no chances to replace meshes right?? :roleyess:

impressive so far ... of course ... keep it up!!!:thumbsup:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, we aren't talking about simple retextures. I am doing full model replacements, as per T3-M4 and the protocol droid above, and HK-47/50/51 in the thread mentioned in the first post.

just checked both and ... :eyepop:bow:

how do those weapons fit and move with the HK models?

no too serious clipping there DP? fixable? :)

HK is using the hands/fingers from the original model, so any clipping of hands is no worse than the original. There is possibly some clipping with the shoulder pads occasionally on the SWTOR torso. There is some clipping during animations with more extreme body contortions, such as the tops of the things clipping the pelvis when kneeling down to arm/disarm mines, but there's not much to be done about that. The original model has all sorts of clipping. Mine is actually an improvement in some instances. For example, the original model has the spine as a TriMesh, so it can't flex (being a bone), and thus pops out of the back of the torso any time there is an animation involving more than a few degrees of bending. My HK on the other hand uses a regular skinned mesh for the spine, so it flexes with the body during any bending.

There's only one astromech model by default in both games (well technically there are physically two models, but they look identical to me - T3 is just the supermodel). All the different NPCs are just texture variants specified by appearance.2da. So yes, assuming I don't override the model directly, which I don't intend to do, you could simply revert T3's appearance.2da row to reference the original model. Or just don't use that particular mod.

HK is using the hands/fingers from the original model, so any clipping of hands is no worse than the original. There is possibly some clipping with the shoulder pads occasionally on the SWTOR torso. There is some clipping during animations with more extreme body contortions, such as the tops of the things clipping the pelvis when kneeling down to arm/disarm mines, but there's not much to be done about that. The original model has all sorts of clipping. Mine is actually an improvement in some instances. For example, the original model has the spine as a TriMesh, so it can't flex (being a bone), and thus pops out of the back of the torso any time there is an animation involving more than a few degrees of bending. My HK on the other hand uses a regular skinned mesh for the spine, so it flexes with the body during any bending.

"so it flexes with the body during any bending." oh mamma ... :hattip:

keep good news coming!! :wavey:

mdlops6 hahaha
Yeah, kind of hit a roadblock with that. Compiling the model by itself with 0.6 causes the game to freeze on load, and using the Replacer function causes all sorts of position offsets, as in the pic. 0.5 causes the game to freeze on load whichever you try. Seems like astromechs, T3 or otherwise, might be a no-go. I'm open to suggestions, but for now I'll move on to testing the protocol droid. Hopefully I'll have more luck with that....

Yeah, all the pivots were set to the same as the originals, X-Forms reset, etc. It works fine in Max, as per the video in the first post. When comparing the decompiled original and fresh output, there is something screwy going on. The position values match, but the orientation values are seemingly inverted. It's like it is rotated 180 degrees or something. For example:

ORIGINAL
node trimesh ArmL
 parent body
 position -0.26800000667572 0.368571996688843 0.387457013130188
 orientation 0.997358497436921 0.0455855821768896 -0.0581475344042729 0.00420035490656095

NEW
node trimesh ArmL
 parent body
 position -0.268 0.368572 0.387457
 orientation -0.997267 -0.0455814 0.0581422 -0.00420074

Positive values become negative, zero values become 1. Even objects from the original that I left untouched, like dummy objects, are affected:

ORIGINAL
node dummy ProbeDummy
 parent ProbeTip
 position 0.000183152995305136 0.239912003278732 -0.0212179999798536
 orientation 0.681410626318478 -0.449199428934533 0.57783497595533 0.111385342935242

NEW
node dummy ProbeDummy
 parent ProbeTip
 position 0.000183153 0.239912 -0.021218
 orientation -0.681413 0.4492 -0.577836 -0.111385

I tried manually editing the position values in ASCII mdl, but to no effect. I assume if it is rotating entire meshes, and not just pivots, then naturally all the vertex co-ords will be in the wrong place.

Well this is looking like a bust. I can't even get the protocol droid in the game. Both a direct compile and a replace cause a crash on load. Unless someone has a magic solution, I don't see much point in bothering with any other droids if they are all likely to end up the same. If other people want to make an attempt to resolve the issue, I'll upload the models as a modder's resource. In the meantime, I'll focus on getting HK finished off.

Well this is looking like a bust. I can't even get the protocol droid in the game. Both a direct compile and a replace cause a crash on load. Unless someone has a magic solution, I don't see much point in bothering with any other droids if they are all likely to end up the same. If other people want to make an attempt to resolve the issue, I'll upload the models as a modder's resource. In the meantime, I'll focus on getting HK finished off.

Which version of MDLOps are you using?

Archived