Home

Goodbye, Robin Williams...

You will be missed.

http://www.businessinsider.com/actor-robin-williams-found-dead-in-his-home-2014-8

He was a bit of an inspiration for me. My whacky "characters" be they in person, online, or other, is something I have done since I was a little kid. He was part of the inspiration I had for the voices I do IRL, and whenever I'd do an act on stage in school.

Those of you who know me a bit on the serious issues elsewhere in the forum know Mr Williams and I probably wouldn't agree on a whole lot, but even so it goes beyond serious business. Actually, when I need to dial it back a bit and not be so serious is when I'd do my thing and kinda think of him.

The fact he committed suicide is a bit of a shock to me. I always thought him a likeable guy, too. Sad day that we have lost such a marvelous actor.

Wow. This is really hard news to take. I've always admired him since I was a little kid, and, even though not all of his movies a great, I loved so much of his work and always looked forward to seeing what he would do next. Any death is tragic, and this is no different. I know he'll be greatly missed by his family and his fans.

So long Robin Williams. We'll never forget all the laughs you brought us.

Sad day indeed. He was not only a great comedian, but a great actor as demonstrated by his more serious roles. He just knew how to get an appropriate reaction from the audience. I don't know what to think about this news and the suspected circumstances of his death.

Have a good rest Mr. Williams and thanks for all the laughs. :(

I hope it wakes some people up. Depression is not just some "Gee get over it already, you have a good life." kind of thing. People need to realize that depression isn't just someone who needs to cheer up. Many of our soldiers come back to the states with the same kind of depression and take their lives the same way.

I will truly miss seeing Robin Williams in movies. He could pull off almost any kind of role. From the lovable oaf, to the slapstick humor, to the deep thinking, to the truly terrifying, Robin Williams could do them all, and give them everything he had.

Death is very sad and all, but this one has shaken me a hell of a lot more than any other celebrity or public figure that I can remember. He wasn't just an actor or a comedian, he was like a part of the family. A part of everyone's family. He was that goofy uncle you may not see very often, but who could always put a smile on your face whether you knew you needed it or not.

The world will miss him. Something fierce.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not that it hasn't been out now for some time...

So apparently it was suicide...over Alzheimer disease.

This isn't to knock the seriousness of depression. At all. I was a little upset to learn this because on the one hand I thought it a waste. He could raise awareness and fund research into it, like what Michael J. Fox is doing. But alas, they're two very different people. And certainly something like this will never get better so...I also find myself on the other hand, unable to blame him for wanting to preserve his dignity if only in his own eyes. To the rest of us there may have been no shame in living with it...but we're not him.

So, I guess let us cherish the time he did have here to inspire us and to bring us joy.

This isn't to knock the seriousness of depression. At all. I was a little upset to learn this because on the one hand I thought it a waste. He could raise awareness and fund research into it, like what Michael J. Fox is doing. But alas, they're two very different people. And certainly something like this will never get better so...I also find myself on the other hand, unable to blame him for wanting to preserve his dignity if only in his own eyes. To the rest of us there may have been no shame in living with it...but we're not him.

So, I guess let us cherish the time he did have here to inspire us and to bring us joy.

That's pretty much my take on this as well. I don't agree with his choice, but it was his and he is entitled to it.

I'll continue to enjoy his timeless work.

Oh wow, I got the impression from the media that it was over family issues or something. But that makes perfect sense as to why he did it. And that situation is kinda like what Film Director Tony Scott had, who committed suicide because he was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.

It's really hard to personally blame them both in what they did. Because those two diseases are the worse way to suffer and linger on like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Bummer. I just checked it out--he actually had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease rather than Alzheimer's. Unfortunately, both of these diseases have a high rate of depression associated with them. Since he already had depression, I wouldn't be surprised if the Parkinson's disease made his depression that much worse and possibly contributed to his suicidal thinking.

Rest in peace, Robin. You made me laugh in Mork and Mindy, Mrs. Doubtfire, Aladdin and The Birdcage, and you made me cry in Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting. I will miss you.

Archived