Home

Looking for a thorough dialogue transcript

Thrik

I'm just wondering if anyone happens to have a thorough dialogue transcript for Grim Fandango lying around? I'm specifically looking for a non-modified version that's as complete as possible, i.e. not a rushed play-through but one where most things were explored and interacted with.

Frustratingly, I actually went out of my way to interact with virtually everything during my last play-through for exactly this purpose but the file has gotten lost during a laptop changeover.

If anyone has this and can reply or PM me (I can send you my email privately), and is OK with it being included on an updated Grim Fandango Network it'd be much appreciated!

Nice, that's even better — thanks!

Is there any straightforward way of mapping the IDs used for characters in that to the names rendered in the dialogue transcript? I'm happy to search/replace for them if there's another file with them listed.

I deciphered the file out of curiosity, to take a peek, but had no plans with it so I haven't really given it much thought. From what I can tell, chars 1-3=set, 4-5=character and 6-7(sometimes 8)=line index within the set. So e.g. LSAMA02 should be the second line of dialogue in LSA HQ and it's spoken by Manny. [Edit] After taking another look, I see this isn't consistent throughout the file - the set is sometimes designated with 2 letters, sometimes with 3.

Any chance you could upload the file which contains the character names that the character numbers refer to? This is all mostly to do with looking up lines/quotes for various purposes while I'm putting together content for the updated GFN, so all I'm really after is character names.

tumblr_m5wku4jXpt1qjwp1yo1_400.gif

Seriously, that's fantastic! I might have to put this on the site wholesale too just for reference. I bet there's stuff in here I've never even figured out how to trigger in the game despite my 7+ playthroughs. :D

The simple but delicious recipe for deciphering grim.tab (XORing with 0xDD) is actually quite old and I found it right here on this forum, but I guess we could say the file is even more humanly readable now. A step further would be to convert the set IDs to friendly names as well, and maybe rearrange the lines so they are properly grouped by set and ordered chronologically (they already pretty much are, but some bits seem to be scattered about). I think I'll leave that part to someone else, though. :)

P.S. I updated the file - found a line that slipped through unchanged: line 6426, SNALO04 -> Lola:

Archived