Home

OJRP Change Logs - Possibly Merge in OJP Proper?

razorace

Hi All, I recently got this change log for OJRP, which is a mod that uses OJP 1.2 as a base for adding additional RP features along with some combat system improvements. Are we interested in pulling some of these features into OJP?

The goal with all of the lightsaber combat changes was to improve the flow of combat and make it more faster paced, with the likes of slow-bounce being removed from all riposted attacks and saber-locking disabled. Instead, we gave attack fakes a much greater purpose by allowing them to just be chained into normal combos, with each attack fake having a more pronounced effect.

Likewise, each power attack has a finishing disarm when the opponent is hit at a low level of DP. This is alongside other changes being made, such as the removal of kick-push, or being able to knock down a stunned enemy with lightning. The mod itself still some crashes , and the power attacks bonuses were never fully realised e.g. considering having successful Soresu attack fakes to give a temporary Protection buff.

The removal of knockdown from kick also promotes the usage of force largely for that disruption (besides knockdowns from parrying), and the stun effect does make combat flow better.

Damage was also retuned slightly, with the likes of Ataru simply dealing too much if you chained run hits. Djem-so is also another stance that would need to be looked at, as it's possibly doing too much at the moment.

The (majority of) changes are:

Systems:

Chat limit doubled.

1.3 animations used, alongside JKE running animations for lightsabers and while carrying rifles etc.

Admin System:

Dedicated administration system added, with its own console login commands.

You can select from five levels of admin and set commands accessible to each. (Not all commands function currently)

Admins can now use the NPC spawn command.

Admins can use the noclip command.

Emotes:

An array of emotes have been added, which can be accessed through /help.

Roll System:

A new roll system has been implemented, allowing dice rolls starting from 3 to 100. Outputs as an emote.

New Chat Commands:

Distance chat has beem implemented, including alterations to how chat appears. The following methods of communication are:

Say - ordinary speech e.g. Example says: Hello.

Low - accessed with /low in chat line e.g. Example says (low): Hey.

Shout - accessed with /shout inchat line e.g. Example shouts: Come back!

Emote - accessed with /me in chat line e.g. Example walks to the end of the room.

OOC - accessed with /ooc in chat line e.g. (OOC) Example: Hello

Comm - accesased with /comm in the chat line

Teleport function:

Teleport function without the need of the administration system. Currently allows you to teleport a player to you, or via XYZ coordinates.

Functionality will be expanded at a later point.

Lightsaber Combat:

- 1.3 animations used.

- Stabdown animation when opponent is on the ground has been disabled.

- Cap of 120 dodge points introduced, regardless of how many points spent.

- Kick has been altered. Kicks at any level of mishap force the character to stumble back and be stunned.

- Ripostes no longer slow bounce parried attacks, only attack fakes (power attacks).

- Lightsaber damage on Ataru has been reduced to 10, from 13.

- Lightsaber damage on Djem-so has been reduced to 16, and force point damage per swing to 1, from 2.

- Ataru run-swing damage multiplier has been reduced to 2.

- Juyo no longer knocks down opponents at lower mishap levels.

- Saberlocking is disabled to allow increased power attack functionality, as detailed below.

Updated Attack Fakes:

- Attack fakes (power attacks) now deal increased damage (15% across all forms), and have bonus effects on hit dependent on the stance:

Shii-cho:

Restores increased mishap on successful hit, and causes less mishap when parried.

Disarms opponent on 35 DP or lower.

Makashi:

Deals triple mishap on successful hit.

Soresu:

Restores 15 dodge points on successful hit.

Ataru:

Increases saber attack speed significantly on successful hit for a short period of time (Rage effect).

Djem-so:

Deals 4 Force Points damage on successful hit.

Niman:

Restores 15 Force Points on successful hit.

Juyo:

Deals mishap and restores 5 Force Points on successful hit.

Force Powers:

- Force points cost of Force Push and Pull increased by 10 at each level.

- Force lightning will no longer knock down players based on mishap.

Gunnery:

- Gunners altered to be closer to the 1.3 system, including changes in the Jetpack, body dodge etc.

- All damage values altered to OJP 1.3 levels.

I've tested it in RP with a team and I have to admit that those features are great. The only major issue we've been through is an increasing amount of crashs when fighting npc's with OJPRP.

Has a RolePlayer it would be great to have this implemented without the crashs of course. ^^

Hi Razor.

Since you are making big changes to my most beloved sabersystem (the one I was virtually in-charge of for almost 2 years), I've returned to help when I can although my time is limited. I had to create a new profile since my classic one (JRHockney*) seems locked beyond repair unless an admin finally does something.

The purposed changes are interesting but I worry might throw off the balance and lose to many great features. Enhanced 1.2 had a near perfect mix of offense and defense with a system that was great for taking on several people at once if desired and I'd rather see added features that are blanced rather than modifying what we know works:

-While I kinda like the idea of having different results from power attacks, I don't like the idea of removing the saberlocks completely because it removes an important starwars visual effect. We have always been the most movie-like realistic sabersystem there is and removing visual effects should be avoided. I would purpose keeping them but retooling them a bit so they don't happen as often or even necessarily from a power attack...I"m not sure how this would work yet, but I'll keep you posted..honestly, I always like the them as finishing moves.

-Removing the slowbounce from Reposit one regular hits is a not a good idea unless you got something better planned. Have you forgotten just how powerful Jack Baldy was back in the day with his almost inhumanly fast combos? Reposit was often the only good defense against them when he got in the zone. It also helped advance players take on several players at once. Also, what will happen to the manual disarm that looked so badass (and should be placed back into more styles)? I'm hoping you at least kept that for repositing power attacks. I admit reposits looked a little weird at times because of the stall, but we could potentially fix this by just slowing their movement speed down and still preventing a swing for a bit.

-Power attacks disarm under 35 DP? I'm assuming thats only with a non-parried? That might work though I'm a little worried about excessive disarms going on.

-- Kick has been altered. Kicks at any level of mishap force the character to stumble back and be stunned.?.....We have the mishap bar for a reason and this will likely lead to excessiving kicking use as it has in the past. The way we had it also allowed us to determine what level mishap or DP they had and allowed for some cool fight turning instances.

-such as the removal of kick-push: Are you freakin kidding me?! :eyes8: This was one of the coolest most movie realistic combos we had! I had moments when I was losing facing several people where I kicked one into a stumble and pushed him off a cliff that were just epic! Do not remove

- Lightsaber damage on Ataru has been reduced to 10, from 13...that sounds pretty weak especially after reducing run hit damage. I never really had a problem defending again ataru in the old system, but I agree with reducing the run damage.

- Juyo no longer knocks down opponents at lower mishap levels...meh, ok but I thought that was a good movie style perk.

Conclusion: The power attack perks are potentially a good idea, but unless I play it with these changes and really like them which is not likely, I'm sticking with 1.2. I also have some other ideas that I might share in the future...its kinda surreal to post on this forum again! :D

...Oh yeah, and do what ever you want with the admin stuff since I don't really give a crap about that lol :D

I think I agree with most of what you said, at least from a high concept point of view where you want to retain OJP's unrivalled (at least in terms of JKA) cinematic look and feel. Saberlocks are iconic, feel good and are visually pleasing and the crowd control mechanics that you got from kickspamming and kick push had their place in an FFA game.

That said, saberlocks always struck me as an unfinished mechanic that was often buggy, lead to crashes and didn't really have a clear place in the game other than a bizarre low dp finisher. In OJRP we tried to save saberlocks by having them be executes with the power attack execution thing we have going but that ended up being unfun when you could endlessly dominate people who didn't have extremely good defence and therefore had no chance to make a comeback. Kickpush and kickspam cheapened combat by making instantly killing someone very simple in comparison to a duel where skills are on display.

The current disarm and force drain you get from not parrying a power attack when below 35 dp does result in disarm city but with this path of changes it seems like a good solution that isn't broken/overpowered.

Duals are honestly pretty weak in this version and it was probably an overnerf. Considering how ridiculous and cheap duals run attacks felt before, though, I'd rather this dodgy stance be weak and only for players who're great at it rather than duals being a noobslayer stance.

I think I agree with most of what you said, at least from a high concept point of view where you want to retain OJP's unrivalled (at least in terms of JKA) cinematic look and feel. Saberlocks are iconic, feel good and are visually pleasing and the crowd control mechanics that you got from kickspamming and kick push had their place in an FFA game.

That said, saberlocks always struck me as an unfinished mechanic that was often buggy, lead to crashes and didn't really have a clear place in the game other than a bizarre low dp finisher. In OJRP we tried to save saberlocks by having them be executes with the power attack execution thing we have going but that ended up being unfun when you could endlessly dominate people who didn't have extremely good defence and therefore had no chance to make a comeback. Kickpush and kickspam cheapened combat by making instantly killing someone very simple in comparison to a duel where skills are on display.

Actually the saberlocks where more than a low DP finisher for noobs, it was also set up as a gambling move to do extra damage. It allowed the user freeze their opponent for an extra hit if they didn't break it in time. If you tried a finishing move and their DP wasn't low enough, it caused you to get the freeze instead. I rarely noticed any bugs with them.

I also never found the kick being overused in 1.2. Most vets just stuck to swinging, speed combos, and sneaky run hits and only occasionally used kicks when their weren't expected because they were too risky. I think we also had a kick block at one point but I forget if we kept that or not.

Since I'm bored at the moment, I had some possble ideas on modifying OJRP that I'd like to get down here for notes and reference:

-The saber lock finisher should not be taken out completely so I'm thinking maybe have it done if you successfully (unparried) hit a person with a power attack who has under 20 DP and 80% full mishap/balance. That way we still get the fun visual of them being finished off but with less frequency.

-Another possible visual addition for the saberlocks might be if two people do a power attack at the same time and their sabers hit eachother before anything else, it does an upright lock (sine they look better than the side lock) that just stays in the middle position until one person either breaks the traditional OJP way or maybe someone pushes the other. If the person pushed is waay off balance, they would be knocked down.

...if it could be coded correctly, It might also be fun if they push eachother at the same time, they both freeze in push position and their mishap/balance shoots up and whose ever balance maxes out first gets pushed to a knockdown. If one person has way more force points, maybe even make their mishap/balance meter go up slower. If they both max out at the same time, they both go flying lol ;P My only concern about this would be how ping would effect it, but breaking a lock before was never an issue. We could also make this feature optional and be set in the server settings.

-if by some miracle the above idea worked, we could also do something similar with lightning if two people have maxed out lightning skill or maybe one with lightning and one with absorb and both have their sabers down and get some yoda vs emporer visuals ;P

-I also remembered an old idea of mine that I want to get down before I forget: We use to have the slap animation in place of the back kick and I originally wanted to make the effect of it different: If a person was in a saber fake animation (maybe to do a reposit) and they are hit with a slap, they get hit into a stumble or maybe do balance damage at lower balance meter if its too easy...of course this idea was originally intended to work with a system where a successful reposit aways stalls the attacker so there is a defense against "reposit spam" lol ;P I actually like reposits the way they were before because it helped alot when taking on more than one person.

Anyways. This was just some brainstorming the way I did it back in the old days and I not sure how it would work out, but it would be good to get some opinions. :words:

That said, saberlocks always struck me as an unfinished mechanic that was often buggy, lead to crashes and didn't really have a clear place in the game other than a bizarre low dp finisher.

If players like the saberlocks but not the way they can get executed at low DP as an early finisher, we could change it so that saberlocks automatically happen as the finishing blow when a player is hit by a kill move. This would effectively act like an execution move seen in a lot of modern action games.

...if it could be coded correctly, It might also be fun if they push eachother at the same time, they both freeze in push position and their mishap/balance shoots up and whose ever balance maxes out first gets pushed to a knockdown. If one person has way more force points, maybe even make their mishap/balance meter go up slower. If they both max out at the same time, they both go flying lol ;P My only concern about this would be how ping would effect it, but breaking a lock before was never an issue. We could also make this feature optional and be set in the server settings.

Sounds cool, but it might be a hassle to program in the current saberlock system thou.

If players like the saberlocks but not the way they can get executed at low DP as an early finisher, we could change it so that saberlocks automatically happen as the finishing blow when a player is hit by a kill move. This would effectively act like an execution move seen in a lot of modern action games.

Though I think the saberlock system is fine and balanced the way it is, that might be kind of interesting. Though if its going to be like modern games, it should only happen 50% or 60% of the time and the view should automatically switch to side view to give it that Skyrim/Mortal Combat finisher goodness. There should also probably be more than just the two saberlock kills as well...maybe add the Melee combo animations as well lol.

Sounds cool, but it might be a hassle to program in the current saberlock system thou.

What's the matter, McFly...Chicken?! :eyemouth: (Dun Dun Duunnn)....

Nah I understand. What I was describing would be best done with that saber lock idea I had anyways but if you're up for some experimentation, It might be a good challenge or we can come up with something similar that is less of a coding burden.

I like saberlocks but in my opinion they don't work as an execution (unavoidable death, while disarm/knockdown isn't) and I like that power attacks/attack fakes work more like stronger attacks with special effects rather than the thing you do to trigger a saberlock. What if saberlocks happened randomly on hit, working as an execution too if your opponent's at low dp and you get lucky?

Archived