Home

Star Wars: The Force Awakens teaser trailer

Lynk Former

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7PxYKaa.png

I'm reserving judgement for the light-claymore until I actually get a context for it... the context is important otherwise there are A LOT of things in Star Wars that are arguably just as, if not, more stupid than the light-claymore.

From the observations we get from the trailer, it looks like some kind of supercharged laser sword. I'm guessing that this saber is either home-made or possibly even ancient and that what we're seeing is excess heat/energy being vented in order for the laser sword to not... explode.

Light-claymore aside, check out the bad dudes walk and the aggressive way he ignites that laser sword of his. It's pretty badass.

The "light-claymore" has those thingies on the end for the same reason swords have a cross-guard; to protect your hands when the blade slides down to attack. It looks weird, but when I stop to think about, it actually comes off as very practical.

I'm felling cautiously optimistic for this. The trailer has the same feel as the OT, which was exactly what made Star Wars good in the first place. On the other hand, I feel like they could screw this up big time.

Not a fan of the Excalibur flame saber. It did not have the same effect as Maul igniting the other end of his double saber in TPM teaser which was epic for that time.

I'll also echo what others have said about john Boyega's scene looking like fan film material.

Other than that it would of been nice to have seen some of those ships in space.

I'm cautiously excited.

I'm not completely sold either, but on the other hand I kind of like the idea of a European-esque two handed greatsword as something new and unique vs. the traditional katana-esque lightsaber aesthetic.

I also really want to see a full shot of the stormtrooper armour.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering the post-ROTJ EU is dead.

From the observations we get from the trailer, it looks like some kind of supercharged laser sword. I'm guessing that this saber is either home-made or possibly even ancient and that what we're seeing is excess heat/energy being vented in order for the laser sword to not... explode.

Light-claymore aside, check out the bad dudes walk and the aggressive way he ignites that laser sword of his. It's pretty bad ass.

My initial thoughts exactly, I think it may even be a completely different technology, more akin to an electro-staff, than the well known focusing crystal based weapon. It would also be cool if, like you say, was an ancient design, much like the Protosabers of 5,000 BBY.

On a side note, I've heard rumors (From the same people who predicted this trailers content almost frame for frame) That this "Dark Cyborg Man" is more of a Fanatic, than an actual Sith or trained force user, so maybe he just doesn't have the knowledge, skill and components to fashion a Lightsaber that works like the ones we know so well.

Either way, buzzing about this trailer! can't wait until Christmas 2015

I still believe Abrams will do the same here as in his Star Trek movies - all heavy CGI and lens flares. Let's hope the effects are a bit more realistic.

I don't have a problem with the "light-claymore"; we've seen stranger things in the EU (forked lightsaber, lightsaber tonfa, lightwhip...). I just hope they make it a decent story.

I still believe Abrams will do the same here as in his Star Trek movies - all heavy CGI and lens flares. Let's hope the effects are a bit more realistic.

On the contrary, all evidence suggests that he's dialed back the CGI in favour of practical effects. Mind you, that shot with the Millennium Falcon and the TIE Fighters was undeniably CGI.

To be honest it's quite a strange thing, I genuinely think most people who brought up the question were honestly asking about it with regards to the EU, and the way the Empire was portrayed as Nazi-like, with assumptions that ST's were blonde haired and blue eyed, but in a rush to be PC (and rightly so) HUNDREDS of threads popped up basically saying "So Stormtroopers can't be Black Huh? I think..." etc etc, so for every 1 thread asking why, there are 30 threads calling Star Wars fans and George Lucas racist.

So I think it's a good discussion and it's bringing up valid points, but there has been a lot of intellectual dishonesty, or at least "Playing dumb" for the sake of Starting a flame-war, which sucks, and sullies the amazing acting and emotion John Boyega brought to that 2 second scene, in fact it's probably the best acting in Star Wars since 1983.

I made that meme to try and cool the jets in a couple of Facebook threads lol

#BlackstormtroopersFTW

@ adamqd: I don't see this as being a valid discussion to begin with and is only being used as a justification for silly racist views. Mauri origin clone trooper is okay but African origin future stormtrooper is not? I find it interesting that no one batted an eye at Temuera Morrison, but I guess it's because a lot of folks up there have no bull**** cultural tendencies to see a Mauri person as a lesser person as they seem to with someone of African origin.

Plus, we've already established in the OT that the Empire is human-centric, and that is the nature of their bigotry in comparison to the Nazi's instead of human racial differences.

And this is all simply taking the movies into account only with nothing from the now defunct EU.

Archived