Home

Patient: RadioShack; Condition: Ciritcal, with death the likely prognosis

Darth Avlectus

That and Daz3d--if you're into that sort of thing. :)

Ugh, Target? Other than some CDs in 2001, some t shirts and jeans, and a couple copies of KOTOR 2 several years ago, I was unimpressed.

Wally's? They have their uses.

My local Target is my go-to alternative to Wal-Mart, and by that I mean that it's my only alternative, as I adopted a policy long ago of steering clear of Wally World. Granted Target's prices are higher (I think I paid something like $15 for the new Five Finger Death Punch album on CD), but the shopping experience is a vast improvement for me: there are a number of people in the store at any given time, but I wouldn't call it crowded, as I would Wal-Mart. Plus, the only things I ever look at, books, movies, games, and hardware, are all conveniently situated in the back of the store. They don't have as wide a selection of games as the GameStop on the other side of the parking lot, but some of their prices actually beat GameStop by a longshot. Target being Target, though, they're moving all their console games to next-gen. It's getting pretty hard to find PS3 games in there, and the few they do have are all overpriced. Can you believe they wanted $59.99 for GTA V on PS3, and it's been out for over two years!

Your Target must be scraping the bottom of the barrel, because I've never known one to have such a thin inventory as you describe.

Sick of GameStop eh? Here's something that'll make ya envious you live so far away from it:

http://www.thewarpzoneslt.com/

Eh, I do business with them pretty regular. It's just that they're the only games retailer I've ever had access to. Problem is, they know that, and they price gouge people accordingly. But they've gotten a lot better in recent years, to their credit, and all of the employees in my GameStop know me by name now. :D

Ah, well if you go broke at the San Dieg--err "Santiago" Fry's location, come on up north to Bakersf--I mean Sandy Shores. If you're willing to sell your soul to the devil himself, Trevor Phillips enterprises might have a space for ya! Ron and Wade could use some companionship. :dev9:

"I didn't have a very nice childhood!"

- Trevor

My local Target is my go-to alternative to Wal-Mart, and by that I mean that it's my only alternative, as I adopted a policy long ago of steering clear of Wally World.

I can see why you'd do that.

My reasons for avoiding Target are if I can get stuff from RS, costco, or dollar tree, so much the better. If I need serious hardware I go to a hardware store. If I need household tools I go to my local mom and pop stores or harbor freight. Maybe a big name store on occasion. So Target just never really stood out for me, and being all of them are at least 30 miles away there's little reason to visit one.

Then what sealed the deal is they decided to go with political correctness. Hey, it's their choice but if they're going to not sell things to avoid "offending" someone or cuz they have some kind of political agenda, I don't care for them especially when they still whore themselves out for holidays on the down low for profit. It just says pretentious all the way around. It's my right to protest by keeping my money and going elsewhere.

Can you believe they wanted $59.99 for GTA V on PS3, and it's been out for over two years!

Actually, so do Wal-Mart and gamestop for a new copy.

Your Target must be scraping the bottom of the barrel, because I've never known one to have such a thin inventory as you describe.

Much was implied, much was assumed. No, it's fine as stores go (quite clean and polished), I just never saw it as worth going to over the years.

Wal-Mart started out the American dream but has become a reason we don't have competition, and our free markets aren't as free anymore. There's stuff I'll get but for the most part it's great for insomniac loitering just to piss off their uptight managers. :trollface:

Eh, I do business with them pretty regular. It's just that they're the only games retailer I've ever had access to. Problem is, they know that, and they price gouge people accordingly. But they've gotten a lot better in recent years, to their credit, and all of the employees in my GameStop know me by name now. :D
Yeah, pretty much the same here.

I tend to just wait till stuff I want is bargain bin or on sale. For at least a few years I didn't do much console playing so not a whole lot of reason to even visit.

"I didn't have a very nice childhood!"

- Trevor

I'll admit T is fun to play as, but at the same time he reminds me of people I have known, and wish I didn't. I wouldn't miss him. But he will burn himself out eventually.

If nothing else it's fun to think how Freddy Krueger would have a heyday torturing Trevor to death with his own psyche.

The Darth Nihilus would consume Freddy for all he's worth.

And I can ultimately choose how they all die.

Then what sealed the deal is they decided to go with political correctness. Hey, it's their choice but if they're going to not sell things to avoid "offending" someone or cuz they have some kind of political agenda, I don't care for them especially when they still whore themselves out for holidays on the down low for profit. It just says pretentious all the way around. It's my right to protest by keeping my money and going elsewhere.

It really does. Target is probably among the worst for holiday profit-whoring, too. They cash in on Halloween, and they typically gear up for the holidays at least a month in advance. Granted, they weren't as bad this year as they have been in years past, insofar as I was able to tell, but I'm sure they'll drop Christmas hammer the day after Halloween. Ironic, isn't it, that big retailers make a killing off of Halloween and Christmas, but the only press Thanksgiving, the holiday characterized by giving thanks, gets is the Macy's parade...and even that's put on by a big name retailer. :thmbup1: On an unrelated note, I kid you not, I saw K-Mart Christmas commercials in early September. Even more ironic yet is the fact that Black Friday is what, the day after Thanksgiving, isn't it? So within a matter of hours after giving thanks for what we have and the simple pleasures we enjoy, Americans are trampling and beating one another to death in mobs every year on Black Friday...and people wonder why the rest of the world wants to kill us.

Yeah, I hear you on the political correctness thing. I have zero patience for that sort of nonsense. It's just like Wal-Mart only selling censored CDs on the grounds that it's a "family" retailer. Considering Sam Walton's small business kill count, I'd say Wal-Mart is the Holy Grail of hypocrisy. Wal-Mart's a family retailer, yeah right. And I took Visas from TSL to the movies.

Wal-Mart started out the American dream but has become a reason we don't have competition, and our free markets aren't as free anymore. There's stuff I'll get but for the most part it's great for insomniac loitering just to piss off their uptight managers. :trollface:

I never actually knew that Wal-Mart managers were uptight. I've always been under the impression that Wal-Mart employees tend to be unenthusiastic jagoffs, which was the origin of the joke, "You know it's a Wal-Mart employee's first day on the job if they're smiling." In fact, I've heard numerous lurid tales about how often people shoplift Wal-Mart. I've even read some accounts about shoplifters walking out the front door with television sets who claim that nine times out of ten, the manager will open the door for them. But, I digress. I wholeheartedly agree with you about loitering around Wal-Mart. I used to do something similar in the mall to piss off security guards by moon walking on the escalator.

I'll admit T is fun to play as, but at the same time he reminds me of people I have known, and wish I didn't. I wouldn't miss him. But he will burn himself out eventually.

If nothing else it's fun to think how Freddy Krueger would have a heyday torturing Trevor to death with his own psyche.

The Darth Nihilus would consume Freddy for all he's worth.

And I can ultimately choose how they all die.

I feel that Trevor's role in the game was primarily a front for Rockstar to cater to the psychotic players whose only use for playing GTA is to just blow things up, shoot people, and cause mayhem. I mean, compared to Michael and Franklin, Trevor has little to no backstory, other than him being Michael's accomplice and the occasional one-liner about his traumatic childhood. Most of T's missions aren't even entirely relevant to the overall plot of the game, mainly revolving around extended gunfights with the Lost MC and miscellaneous criminals, such as the shootout on Grove Street, and even the ones that do somehow tie into the plot do very little to advance it, such as Trevor and Ron's efforts to consolidate TP Enterprises' control over Blaine County. The second heist was also very poorly written, in my opinion. Incidentally, it was the only one planned by Trevor. I mean, all the promotional work selling the game on the meticulous planning and elaborate execution of these high-profile heists, and Trevor begins casing the joint simply because he "wants to steal something?" Gimme a break.

It really does. Target is probably among the worst for holiday profit-whoring, too. They cash in on Halloween, and they typically gear up for the holidays at least a month in advance. Granted, they weren't as bad this year as they have been in years past, insofar as I was able to tell, but I'm sure they'll drop Christmas hammer the day after Halloween. Ironic, isn't it, that big retailers make a killing off of Halloween and Christmas, but the only press Thanksgiving, the holiday characterized by giving thanks, gets is the Macy's parade...and even that's put on by a big name retailer. :thmbup1:

:lol:

True enough. What I'm amazed at is how a cheap p.o.s. fog machine costs $40 for Halloween. (Their longevity suffers because fog fluid corrodes metals and eats away at the diaphragm in the pump even if it's fine, electrically. Made even worse if you try to clean it out with water.) Ah but then halloween specialty stores like halloween spirit rent a vacant store (like the former Borders in Carson City NV) every year.

I digress... If you're going to be Politically Correct, tow the line and don't be phony. Ah, but now I'm telling them how to run their business--how dare I tell them not to take advantage of seasonal trends for profit! I'm the most horrible person in the world! :rolleyes:

On an unrelated note, I kid you not, I saw K-Mart Christmas commercials in early September. Even more ironic yet is the fact that Black Friday is what, the day after Thanksgiving, isn't it? So within a matter of hours after giving thanks for what we have and the simple pleasures we enjoy, Americans are trampling and beating one another to death in mobs every year on Black Friday...and people wonder why the rest of the world wants to kill us.

Well, I've seen companies jumping the gun as early in the year as May for "back to school" sales. *shrug* An early start is one thing, but this???

As it pertains to black friday thru cyber monday, I do recall that year an old man who was a greeter at Wal-Mart was trampled to death in the stampede. It's a sad day when a Chinese email friend hears about it within 30 minutes and asks you if you've heard--before it comes out in the hourly news.

I can't scoff too much though. While I acknowledge the irony of black friday starting mere hours after a holiday where we're all supposed to be most grateful, I've taken advantage of it too I'm afraid. Thankfully online more than in person. I'd like to say I wouldn't be caught dead being in that crowd but never say never.

85ffb6a0a7571d3f79f4e3e03b4d817b61117d7878b3350c3e002df683468da8.jpg

Sure I get crazy sometimes, but I hope I don't reach *that* level. Probably not cuz once I've eaten I'm more keen to walk it off like I do most meals, and stay at home.

Yeah, I hear you on the political correctness thing. I have zero patience for that sort of nonsense. It's just like Wal-Mart only selling censored CDs on the grounds that it's a "family" retailer. Considering Sam Walton's small business kill count, I'd say Wal-Mart is the Holy Grail of hypocrisy. Wal-Mart's a family retailer, yeah right. And I took Visas from TSL to the movies.

Well, you want inconsistency? You can buy Cat Run for $5 at wally's, which I'd say is almost too graphic for an "R" rating. Like a slasher flick only more realistic. Then again B movies are less popular. But still, the point being they censor one thing and not another.

I can go there to get chemicals or suppliments since I'm getting to be an old ass man. Well, I'm not THAT old but old enough I can see generations of both before and after mine. Or I get plastic tubs for storing stuff or whatever. Maybe analog VOMs (volt-ohm meters).

I never actually knew that Wal-Mart managers were uptight. I've always been under the impression that Wal-Mart employees tend to be unenthusiastic jagoffs, which was the origin of the joke, "You know it's a Wal-Mart employee's first day on the job if they're smiling." In fact, I've heard numerous lurid tales about how often people shoplift Wal-Mart. I've even read some accounts about shoplifters walking out the front door with television sets who claim that nine times out of ten, the manager will open the door for them. But, I digress. I wholeheartedly agree with you about loitering around Wal-Mart. I used to do something similar in the mall to piss off security guards by moon walking on the escalator.

Wally's...depends which location that has the uptight manager. Some locations the staff are all pretty laid back. Especially the one with an old vet at the door who I chat with about cars.

My sister got busted years ago with her friends. She tried to lift the least of all of them, a measly $11 worth. However, she didn't try anything stupid. The deputy said they were going to call us when the store pursued it, but we never got that call. Nevada (northern) is like the Texas of the western states and I notice that their government tends to hate bureaucracy. Guess the manager figures he got the bigger fish to fry in that group.

Still, you want to watch yourself late night during hours where ex-cons are using the floor cleaner.

I feel that Trevor's role in the game was primarily a front for Rockstar to cater to the psychotic players whose only use for playing GTA is to just blow things up, shoot people, and cause mayhem. I mean, compared to Michael and Franklin, Trevor has little to no backstory, other than him being Michael's accomplice and the occasional one-liner about his traumatic childhood. Most of T's missions aren't even entirely relevant to the overall plot of the game, mainly revolving around extended gunfights with the Lost MC and miscellaneous criminals, such as the shootout on Grove Street, and even the ones that do somehow tie into the plot do very little to advance it, such as Trevor and Ron's efforts to consolidate TP Enterprises' control over Blaine County. The second heist was also very poorly written, in my opinion. Incidentally, it was the only one planned by Trevor. I mean, all the promotional work selling the game on the meticulous planning and elaborate execution of these high-profile heists, and Trevor begins casing the joint simply because he "wants to steal something?" Gimme a break.

Trevor is a believable character, and he stands out among others. They certainly tapped into something with him. I still don't like that he killed Johnny K (among other things as a matter of personal taste). Some say the point of his post prologue intro was to make players not 100% sure about him. They have a point to a point. I've seen the sychophantic fanboys' knee-jerk defense of him. As I said, he's fun but if I had no other choice I wouldn't bemoan the loss of him. Having known people IRL a bit like him colors your perspective. The GTA Online protagonist is unafraid of him but silent like GTA3's Claude. If I could, my orignal character would be somewhat like Darth Sion and Undertaker, seemingly undead but unseen like a ninja. A sicko, like him, but different. The grim reaper, lurking death you won't see until he wants you to (when it's too late).

In a review I'll address some of the problems not only with Trevor, but overall. Some of these things weren't terrible but there just wasn't a whole lot of elaboration in each story arc. I get that rockstar wants to avoid filler, but the main story was something like 70 missions while other GTA games with singular characters had storyline upwards of around 100 missions.

:lol:

True enough. What I'm amazed at is how a cheap p.o.s. fog machine costs $40 for Halloween. (Their longevity suffers because fog fluid corrodes metals and eats away at the diaphragm in the pump even if it's fine, electrically. Made even worse if you try to clean it out with water.) Ah but then halloween specialty stores like halloween spirit rent a vacant store (like the former Borders in Carson City NV) every year.

I hear you. But, you've got to figure, Target is probably well aware that their fog machines crack out within a year's time, which is how they keep unwary consumers coming back for a replacement each year. Just basic profit farming at this point; I think it's transcended the realm of conspiracy theories by now. But, at the end of the day, I agree with you. The extent of my Halloween is macking candy and watching John Carpenter's Halloween at home in the dark.

As it pertains to black friday thru cyber monday, I do recall that year an old man who was a greeter at Wal-Mart was trampled to death in the stampede. It's a sad day when a Chinese email friend hears about it within 30 minutes and asks you if you've heard--before it comes out in the hourly news.

I can't scoff too much though. While I acknowledge the irony of black friday starting mere hours after a holiday where we're all supposed to be most grateful, I've taken advantage of it too I'm afraid. Thankfully online more than in person. I'd like to say I wouldn't be caught dead being in that crowd but never say never.

You know, if the crowds weren't so hellacious on Black Friday, I might consider going out to get a cut of the bargains myself. Or are prices raised on Black Friday? I've never actually engaged in it myself, so I'm not entirely sure, but the law of supply and demand would imply that if that many people are fiending to go shopping, prices must hit rock bottom on Black Friday.

Well, you want inconsistency? You can buy Cat Run for $5 at wally's, which I'd say is almost too graphic for an "R" rating. Like a slasher flick only more realistic. Then again B movies are less popular. But still, the point being they censor one thing and not another.

:rolleyes: On top of that, they sell GTA titles. "God forbid you hear a bad word on a CD, but we're happy to sell you what has been quite possibly the most adult-oriented and controversial video game franchise ever conceived!" Aside: the movie's called "Cat Run," you say? Being one slasher fan, I'll have to check that out next time I'm in Wally World.

My sister got busted years ago with her friends. She tried to lift the least of all of them, a measly $11 worth. However, she didn't try anything stupid. The deputy said they were going to call us when the store pursued it, but we never got that call. Nevada (northern) is like the Texas of the western states and I notice that their government tends to hate bureaucracy. Guess the manager figures he got the bigger fish to fry in that group.

Still, you want to watch yourself late night during hours where ex-cons are using the floor cleaner.

Man, it sounds like northern Nevada and I share similar philosophies. I've always considered moving there when the means become available to me...not because they take a lenient stance on shoplifting, of course, and I certainly don't ever plan to try it. I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea. Where I live in North Carolina, you'd be crucified for lifting a Wal-Mart. My local Wally even has a bunch of signs posted saying that shoplifting is punishable by mandatory jail time. Then again, what do you expect from the state ranking fourth lowest in the nation for teacher pay and one of the most economically desolate? A while back, CNN even listed Asheboro, N.C. as one of the fastest dying towns in the country. There's a laundry list of reasons to avoid coming to any part of N.C., and I plan to bail out and never return sometime within the next few years.

Trevor is a believable character, and he stands out among others. They certainly tapped into something with him. I still don't like that he killed Johnny K (among other things as a matter of personal taste). Some say the point of his post prologue intro was to make players not 100% sure about him. They have a point to a point. I've seen the sychophantic fanboys' knee-jerk defense of him. As I said, he's fun but if I had no other choice I wouldn't bemoan the loss of him. Having known people IRL a bit like him colors your perspective. The GTA Online protagonist is unafraid of him but silent like GTA3's Claude. If I could, my orignal character would be somewhat like Darth Sion and Undertaker, seemingly undead but unseen like a ninja. A sicko, like him, but different. The grim reaper, lurking death you won't see until he wants you to (when it's too late).

In a review I'll address some of the problems not only with Trevor, but overall. Some of these things weren't terrible but there just wasn't a whole lot of elaboration in each story arc. I get that rockstar wants to avoid filler, but the main story was something like 70 missions while other GTA games with singular characters had storyline upwards of around 100 missions.

Game Informer said something similar in their review of GTA V. If I recall, it was something along the lines of the game not living up to paragons of Rockstar storytelling such as GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption. I knew from before the game was released that Michael would end up being my favorite character, and I was right. That's not to say that I don't like T and Franklin, of course.

I too noticed the similarities between the Online protagonist and Claude, the most obvious being that they're both mute because in Claude's case, I don't think Rockstar had the means of providing hundreds if not thousands of lines of dialogue for Claude in 2001, and although they do in 2015, would it really be worthwhile? I mean, GTA Online wasn't meant to be played for the story.

I'm considering trying GTA Online out again if I ever get my PlayStation fixed. I gave up playing it some time ago because squeakers and dirty players were becoming a little too populous online for my liking...there's also the fact that actual jobs paid an abysmal amount of cash, so most players just fork out real money to obtain GTA dollars via microtransactions in-game. I'm still on the Rockstar mailing list, though, and I received the email saying that lowriders were being added to the online mode.

Archived