Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the thread title was my idea.

Started the New Year off the way I did last year, scoring a ten-game marathon tournament. I was hoping to get the sidepots figured out for them at the same time, but, even though I saw nothing wrong with my logic, some bowler rows in my sidepots sheet in the Excel workbook I was doing had errors, so I'm considering emailing the workbook to a friend and let him figure it out. Meanwhile, I told the tournament managers I'd run my bracket software (which has sidepot functions) concurrently with Excel next time; it'd just mean it would take longer to get the sidepot results (having to do that after I do the updating of the main tournament).

Happy 2015... so far. :) Nice thread title! Let's make it worthy of the epicness it foreshadows...

Went to a party after work last night. Ended up crashing at a friend's place... A lady friend's place.

Stuck around there most of the day. Just got home.

got a date set for tomorrow with another chick from the one dating site. former military. hoping this one goes better than the last one. and got a "hanging out" later this weekend with my other friend that i'm pretty sure friend-zoned me already, but i never really hung out with her outside of school, so we'll see how that goes.

new year's eve was fun. went to my friend's sister's house and played some board games and drank couple beers, mixed drinks, and shots. got home today and chilled with my one buddy we got some pizza and wings, watched I, Frankenstein and played halo for a couple hours.

It was a good time, both of the days.

date was alright tonight...much better than the last one. not sure if i'll see her again though. having mixed feelings about sunday...supposed to be taking my one friend who i'd like to date hiking...might be a fail. if it is a "fail", just gonna keep trying different girls i guess. heh i don't see a situation coming up where the one i was just on a date with messages me wanting to hang out again and the one im going hiking with wanting to date me. It would be nice to have that kind of a problem.

Happy 2015... so far. :) Nice thread title! Let's make it worthy of the epicness it foreshadows...

Went to a party after work last night. Ended up crashing at a friend's place... A lady friend's place.

Stuck around there most of the day. Just got home.

Most of the day?! Did you seal the deal, ed? :D

Have you guys heard about a bunch of Star Wars fans... with waaayyyy to much time on their hands?

Yeah, they did this:

Star Wars: De-Specialized Editions.

Using the Blu-Ray release, and a bunch of other sourced, they basically undid all of Lucas's tinkerings with the Original Trilogy.... and in 1080p.

I've spent the past few days reliving my childhood, watching these movies.

I..... didn't appreciate the special editions.

Maybe I should have. But I grew up from a very young age watching the original VHS releases that Dad brought home one day. This was in like 1990. So... I grew up with the Originals.

Needless to say, I was never a big fan of the changes as I grew older... *shrug*

the big grin is telling, happy new year ed

As far as SW special edition. Except for the rather botched "Greedo shooting" re-edit, most of the special edition was a lot of re-doing the special effects and adding more CGI stuff. I didn't mind it. Tho I wish they added more deleted scenes from ANH, like Biggs on Tatooine, and Luke's drive from the farm to Artoo

Spent most of my new years relaxing and working on the Star wars RPG game for today. Doing "Beyond the Rim" it is a cool story that sends the players on a search for a lost "Banking Guild" treasure ship that fled the newly formed empire at the end of the clone wars. The players were sent to find the ship, any survivors, and recover any technology.

Wreckage_on_Cholganna-BtR.jpg

I just love some of the artwork for this game

As far as SW special edition. Except for the rather botched "Greedo shooting" re-edit, most of the special edition was a lot of re-doing the special effects and adding more CGI stuff. I didn't mind it.

Let us not forget the utterly ridiculous musical number added to Return of the Jedi.

The problem with all of that added CGI was that it didn't match the rest of the movie. It really looks and feels tacked on. Which is fine if it's just something extra for fun, which is how I initially took the Special Editions. But being declared the definitive versions of the movies while the originals are banished forever is not cool, so I'm glad some efforts are being made to preserve the original versions.

i called the police on my neighbors last night. huge ****ing brawl outside their house at 230am. like 15 people screaming and yelling and chasing each other, sounded like someone was gonna get lynched.

going to be on Halo later today with my buddy. Going to be enjoying most of this year without going to the bar every friday and weekend. not really a new year resolution since i haven't been to a bar in about a month. it's nice going to the gym friday night, playing xbox and going hiking every weekend. when it warms up i might be going camping+hiking twice a month.

Let us not forget the utterly ridiculous musical number added to Return of the Jedi.

The problem with all of that added CGI was that it didn't match the rest of the movie. It really looks and feels tacked on. Which is fine if it's just something extra for fun, which is how I initially took the Special Editions. But being declared the definitive versions of the movies while the originals are banished forever is not cool, so I'm glad some efforts are being made to preserve the original versions.

It always felt to me like he was using the old movies as test-beds for all the CGI stuff he wanted to use in the prequels, but wanted to get it right before shooting the new films, and really didn't care if he actually ruined the older movies in the process.

I'm so happy modern film-making technology didn't exist when he made the old trilogy... It forced him to keep his ideas simple, practical, and better.

If CGI existed in 1977, I'm pretty sure the first film would have also been the only one made... and probably utterly unwatchable.

really enjoying Halo: Master Chief Collection...

my buddy and I just spent the last 6 hours playing the campaign of Halo Combat Evolved on heroic, it's so much fun.

weather is looking like **** for tomorrow, so might not be going hiking...i hope it clears up by 11 because i really want to go with that girl i like.

Oh yeah...

Happy Birthday Zoomish Rabbitus!!!

:joy:

This could be a trap to get me to wish Zoom a happy birthday and then make me look like a fool because it is not really his birthday and I just read your post instead of actually knowing when his birthday is. But I'm far too lazy to check, so I'll chance it.

Happy Birthday, Zoom!

I'm just going by the date on his now seemingly abandoned Facebook profile.

Last day off before work again. Ugh... but mixed feelings about it. I've been so busy these last two weeks that a dull week at work without a zillion social obligations might be just the ticket.

I had my car looked at yesterday. It ended up being pretty simple and cheap... but I DO need a valve-cover gasket replacement... which is neither.

could hardly sleep last night/this morning. neighbors decide to have another house party, normally i don't mind parties and people but this is at 3am-4am in the morning. people getting in their cars and leaving the house, but for 30-45 minutes before they leave "OH LET'S TALK REALLY LOUD AND BE STUPID" so close to going out and getting paintballs...at least there wasn't fighting. I think i got around 5 hours of sleep altogether.

Looks like a nice day for a hike, no rain in the forecast. Rubbing it in my friend's face...she was saying all week how bad it was going to rain today. I said it wasn't going to rain and if it did it was not going to be a downpour. I love being right. :)

Archived