Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

Drinking rihgt now.

really? didn't notice ;)

in weather related news... going to be damn cold here in the midwest for the next few days. single digit weather, and a low of -8 tonight, windchill of -20

i might need to get more booze.. but then I remembered I have curling tonight... problem solved

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heh...i dont get fasting rituals...lent and ramadan for instance.

i got really sick yesterday...nasty diarreah at school followed up with projectile vomit. got 16 hours of sleep when i got home, didn't eat a damn thing..and hardly ate anything today besides a mini bag of cheetos and a multigrain bagel. i feel a sinus cold coming on, chills and all...but i'm damn sure going to make it to the gym tonight!!

heh...i dont get fasting rituals...lent and ramadan for instance.

Really? I would think a soldier especially would understand challenging oneself in order to become stronger and more disciplined.

Bought some Highland Park Scotch and Wild Turkey 101 bourbon for my ski trip this weekend. Gonna do some skiing and some sipping :cool:

Really? I would think a soldier especially would understand challenging oneself in order to become stronger and more disciplined.

Bought some Highland Park Scotch and Wild Turkey 101 bourbon for my ski trip this weekend. Gonna do some skiing and some sipping :cool:

i don't understand them because they are hypocritical holidays.

starve yourself all day just so you can binge eat at sun-down..

i don't understand them because they are hypocritical holidays.

starve yourself all day just so you can binge eat at sun-down..

Ramadan does tend to go that way, though I suppose it is at least a little delayed gratification. But the traditional Lenten fast is to eat only one normal size meal during the day (it does not have to be after sundown or at any particular time). The traditional Eastern practices are even more severe, with no animal products being consumed throughout the entirety of Lent. Probably no matter how strict you make the rules, you can always game them and observe the letter of the law while violating its spirit, Pharisee-style. Like most things, you only get out of it what you choose to put into it, I suppose.

There are spiritual benefits from fasting.

When I arrived at navy basic training, I was grossly overweight. Before beginning with my company, I was put into a physical fitness training unit to lose the weight first. Grouped together with all the other fat, slow kids...I was officially in hell. To get out of this situation, I decided to fast in order to lose the fat.

Fasting while undergoing military training is not easy, by the way. :dozey:

I would go to chow with the other guys and just eat a piece of fruit while they piled their trays with lard and cereal, bacon and pancakes. The weight started dropping off, so I continued with the fasting for a whole week. Now...this is the part that is hard to communicate to others, but I will try. I experienced an unexpected clarity of thought and spiritual energy that coincided with my fasting...as if the food going through my body before had clouded my mind, and without it I could experience life more fully. I started to meditate, which I had studied years before but never got anywhere with. I engaged the other guys in meaningful discussions, figuring things out with new ideas formed that I carry to this day. If my life with food had been the flickering of a candle, while fasting it had become a bright hurricane lamp.

After one week of fasting, my weight dropped down to training weight, and I was transferred to what would become my actual company. I resumed eating as normal, and things returned to a more normal state of life...although there were lasting benefits.

I have not fasted since, although I did learn how to eat less because of my boot camp experience. Eating less has obviously kept me in better health...but it has also kept me closer to that more spiritual state. In the morning before I eat, I find that meditating is easier and more fulfilling, as is physical exercise. When I do these things later in the day, I find that the food in my system slows things down somewhat.

One must eat to survive. :max: Duh. However...if you try starving just a little, you might become a little less earth-bound.

nice story, zoom. i'm actually a little surprised i didn't have to go to ftu when i went to ft benning, guess they figured 3 weeks in the blazing sun would do the trick. it did. went from 195 to 170...and now im back to 195...more muscular however since i've been going to the gym and working out properly. i just need to lose belly fat which i'm sure will happen come late spring when the weather peaks above 30 degrees...and i'm able to go outside and run and hike again without my skin freezing off.

i have fasted before, but it wasn't intentional. more like surviving deciding whether to pour money into gas tank so i could get to work and make money to eat or satisfy my hunger and call out of work...those were bad times, but i will never forget them.

speaking of food...just ordered some pizza hut delivery. my reasoning...i need to eat and it's too cold to walk anywhere to do grocery shopping. :) honey siracha sauce with pineapple topping, cinnistix, and some red pepper flavored breadsticks. should be good. i've got a good workout later tonight, and this will be the only thing i really ate today besides protein powder, a small bag of cheetos, and 2 reeses cups. :p

I repurchased Star Wars Galaxies...going to give SWGEMU a shot. i really miss that game, and want to experience some precu, since i only got 2 weeks in before they went to CU!

edit: and pizza hut denies my delivery request!!!!!!! WHAT THE ****. IM STARVING!!!!!!!!!! went to dominos and put in an order...right after that pizza hut calls saying that they're giving me my order for free!!! so now i'm gonna be stuck with alot of pizza.

Wait a minute.

If we have transporters, we could just BEAM all that snow to someplace useful, like Las Vegas. :max:

I will have to hack the public transporter grid, adjust the bandwidth of the containment beam to encompass an area the size of, say, Boston...adjust the Heisenberg compensator to differentiate between unwanted excess snow and ice and the normal water contained in living organisms, then reassemble the water molecules over a reservoir in Nevada at an appropriate enough temperature as to not alter significantly the local weather patterns.

This might take awhile. I'm not Wesley Crusher, you know...

I wasn't there for it, but there was a 900 series (three perfect games), the first in my state's history, last night at my bowling center. I know the bowler primarily from Monday night. I have a blog about it, but I feel comfortable saying it probably won't be the definitive article about it, as the USBC's PR manager is in contact with the bowler, and a write-up on bowl.com will be up there soon, with a better video of it than the one I could post.

HA it is a balmy 28 degrees here in wisconsin. We are digging out our swim trunks so we can get started on our farmer tans.

Local liquor store has a promo going during the month. There is a discount based on what the tempurature is when they open at 8am. Today it was 26 degree's and I saved about $30 using the 26% discount. (if you want you can do the math on how much booze that is) even bought my Scotch to bookend my Curling season

my copy of SWG showed up today...playing on SWGEmu basilisk server...current population is 1700. The funny thing is, it's like a whole ****ing new game to me because I only experienced PRE-Cu for less than a month before CU and then the NGE. :)

Loving it so far, why would SOE want to **** up such a fun game?

Do the math.
6. I got 6 for an answer. What does that mean?

Do I have to show my work? Because I really just copied the answer out of the back of the book.

Maybe the answer is Pi. Or Ω.

Can you see Russia from your house? How about when you are high? Like, really , REALLY high?

6 means what is three times two.

You are prohibited from showing work.

The answer is not pi, but is another abstract and mysterious number that I hereby name 'fliz.' It is indicated by the symbol €.

The earth's curvature prevents one from seeing Russia from my location, although Sarah Palin's house is much closer from what I'm told.

:dozey:

I was doing the math and I got "Tuesday" for an answer. It was better then before when I was using circles and the paper started screaming at me to use τ (Tau) instead of 2π (2 Pie), when I asked who was talking to me I all heard was Ben Stien's voice saying "Euler? Euler?"

I think I am going to stop using math

Archived