Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

Projected year-end post total after February: 1,788

February always seems to do a number on my average, but at least I had a better night to begin my bowling in March.

This hasn't been a great year+ physically for Harrison Ford, BTW...remember, he broke his ankle in an accident on the set of TFA, too.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Working a Heavy Metal Opera tonight and tomorrow. Metal and opera. Yeah. 2 great tastes that... well... really don't go together that well at all. Not if you actually want to hear what the singers are saying, anyhow. Or the strings. Or the choir. Or the oboe. Or anything but the drumset that makes Metallica's look restrained, and the several Marshall and Mesa half-stacks on stage... directly behind the vocalists.

Every day it seems my life becomes more challenging. I hate the fact that the **** I bitched about 5 years ago has now become like a vacation day for me. :rolleyes:

It's rough... but if I can work out the technical details, it might actually be somewhat interesting. It's about the story of Queen Boudicca. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudica

And the lead actress is the daughter of the guy who wrote the piece... but she's a professional actress, and pretty hot. https://www.berklee.edu/events/queen-boudicca-metal-opera

It was a very, very long day yesterday... and I suspect a longer one today.

I think I'm going to have to lose the body mics on the actors, and give them all wireless 58s. It will be a little less theatrical, but audible. Play down the opera in favor of the METAL!!!!!

:dozey:

I've no idea what to do about getting the choir and the strings and woodwinds heard though. That's probably a lost cause. :rolleyes:

The stage is too small. The back 2/3rds of the stage are completely taken up by a 3-foot tall, 8-foot deep, 24-foot wide riser, upon which several scenes take place, and also on which are the 25 choir members, the 5 strings with the electric cello and all his pedals, and the 3 flutes and clarinet and oboe, with the drums and amps taking about another 6 or so feet deep in front of that.

Our stage is only 30-feet wide, and less than 24-feet deep, with a tiny bit more in front of the proscenium. I'm going to try to put plexiglas in front of the drums today... but that will direct all the sound back into the choir and string and wind mics... so any way you slice it, something is going to lose.

..... I don't think this last 4 months will go with out me losing every ounce of patience I have.

I wanted to sleep. Too bad, because the ex and her BF waltz in at 3 in the morning, make a bunch of noise, and she decides to microwave some food.

So... I'm up until I collapse at my desk.

Ed: That is one packed stage. And I'm sorry about your dad.

Cracken: Your current living situation sounds totally unbearable. I don't even know how you are standing it. At least you know it's ending soon. Keep your eye on the prize.

This year has not gotten off to the greatest start for us XWAers...

I keep my word Keyan. When we broke up, since we couldn't afford to break the lease and part ways this past September, I said I would move into the living room and continue to pay rent until the lease expired.

I regret such decisions. However, it's something my family does, is keep our word when given. (sigh)

Though if I magically came across 3 thousand dollars... I'd nope right the **** out of here and call it a day. Even my parents are like "You have the patience of a Saint".

Thanks.

And the show worked out better once the cast was on handheld mics and the drums were encased in plexi. The choir and the woodwinds were still pointless once the rock band started playing... but on the couple of times where they were featured without drums and guitar, they sounded OK.

If I were to do it again, with more time... I would have set up a sub mixer on stage and run ALL our 58's (about 20) from it to the choir, then submixed that to stereo, or maybe bass, tenor, alto, soprano as separate outputs back to the FOH board.

That still would have been clunky and imperfect... but I'd have had more level.

Next time...

I don't live in Madison anymore. But yea. Another killing of an unarmed black kid by a Police officer. The area is notorious for being a rather bad neighborhood. Some police officers don't even bother going there.

Contrary to our Governor comparing Unions and Protestors to ISIS, most protestors in the Madison area and quite well organized and peaceful.

Watch stupid teevee, enjoy stupid commercials.

Crackmonkey: As one who has also put up with ex girlfriends and new boyfriends, I feel your pain and validate that what you are doing is morally superior. Suffering is a teacher. Having said that...you have paid your dues, and can be excused for checking out early since she now has anther person who can help her pay the rent (at least in theory, if he has a job.) So, if the opportunity comes up...git dafuq out, yo. :dozey:

Curious note: the ex to which I refer is long gone from my life, and his. They didn't work out...but he became a friend with whom I'm in touch with to this day.

KK: My bad. Glad you aren't there, and glad the protests are turning out to be peaceful.

Ed: Can't help much; the only sound trick I know is to point the speakers at a wall so as to disguise their actual location. Sorry to hear about your dad. :indif:

He has a job, but couldn't save a dollar to buy his way out of a wet paper bag.

That doesn't make sense.... Either way, he's an idiot.

I've tried to broach the subject, but every time she refuses to listen or discuss the issue. And I can't just up an leave with out having an agreement in place or I would probably risk some things happening that would negatively affect my immediate future.

Fun Fact: He works in the same room as I do. Different section/bosses, but I have to see his stupid face every day.

it's finally above freezing out. all week. Thank God. now i can run outside again!!!

anyone play Day Z? i started playing that with a friend last night. it's pretty fun. still playing galaxies, got novice creature handler! :)

good day today....ice melted by the park i run at, so i got a good 2 miles in then i ran down the street which actually has this huge hill, so that was good. buddy picked me up after work study and we went to the range...i feel so much better after that. but then tonight my ex-fiancee decides to message me out of the blue. now an emotional can of worms is trying to open up. i refuse to reply to that piece of **** that treated me so wrong when i was with her. i deserve much better, that chapter of my life is behind me and i'm not opening it up again. it kind of makes me mad and sad at the same time that this happened. i should probably be seeking counseling/therapy but all they do is push drugs, which is why i'm on bupropion and won't get off it until they make me start paying for the crap. they don't know how to talk to me anyway...my initial counseling session was a ****ing disaster, the bitch didn't know wtf she was doing so i was like 'show me the drugs' **** wasting my time talking about ****. i'll just keep it in and let it brew til one day i've had enough of peoples bull****...at least it helps fuel my workouts.

going to the gym tonight...its gonna be brutal.

Dad is doing better, though they haven't discharged him yet.

I'm exhausted. Long days at work... bad night's sleep... changes in the weather... daylight saving time... worry that I might have to fly to Florida again...

Hopefully I can catch up on rest next week. Spring break is here already somehow. Time flies when you can't get to work thanks to insane snowstorms, I guess.

Archived