Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

had a good weekend with my friends...got my AC installed in my room today. it's nice. also, my parents brought my mountain bike down from their place...haven't rode it in about 10 years...

on that note however, really considering getting a motorcycle....cheaper insurance, less cost of gas. but i want a car as well something cheap to get me through the winters, then a truck so i can get a ****ing dirtbike. :) heh goals.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more weekend of state tournament and I'm a "free man"...all kidding aside, it's been a great tournament so far, and the goodness continued yesterday when a team of some of my friends shot a 3,662 series (five-man), which was just a pin shy of the state tournament record. The last game included a 300 game from one of our local association's Hall of Famers, and I got the last strike of that on YouTube. It was just amazing to watch them, particularly their last game (1,309).

good luck cracken!

I start my new job tonight! pretty excited, a little nervous...all the coworkers on my shift are 50+ years old. :\ made confirmation of having weekends off though...if they ask me i'll just say i got other obligations (ie. friends) 40 hours a week...

gonna be having more $$$ than i know what to do with soon. can't wait!

15: Save. Dump most of it into your savings account. Always have at least 1 -2 months of bills on hand in case **** goes south. Do not do what I did and just spend spend spend.

Then you end up in situations like mine.

In OTHER news...

Violin is progressing. My neck hold is ok, but we noticed that my bow has... we think my bow is possessed.

See, interesting thing happens when you get toward the frog of the bow where there is a noticable flat of the note. After ****ing with everything for about 30 minutes, double checking and running though a lot of basic training and exercises to make sure it wasn't novice issues....... we determined that the bow just wants to do... whatever the hell it wants to. It's most noticable when you play a G on the 2nd and 4th (D and E) strings. Like, that's when we noticed it.

I have put a new violin bow on my list of things to buy.

I'm sure in a few weeks I will also be bitching about the heat and humidity... but for now, as long as it's something I don't have to shovel, the weather can do whatever it wants. :dozey:

I've been walking after work the last couple of days. I am somewhat determined to get into some kind of shape again this year. Other than the shape of "blob" that is... :rolleyes:

I spent the weekend with my lady friend... which was nice, except that she really injured her knee a few months back, and her mobility is still really reduced, so we really couldn't get out and enjoy the nice weather. I hope it finally starts to feel better for her before the summer ends...

So that's why she couldn't run away...

:joy:

*(Runs away.)*

Funny that... :dozey:

*(Smacks Bunny in the knee with a crowbar, Nancy Kerrigan style...)*

It has meant spending a lot of time taking pressure off her leg, laying in bed... for hours... trying to think of things that we could do there to stay busy... and take our minds off things... Hmmm...

:naughty:

:joy:

i love when it gets so hot out that girls start stripping. :) winter can suck my dick.

I love my new job. Enjoying the close distance to it. I leave a little early and enjoy walking around downtown before starting my shift. Think I'm going to ride my bike down there tonight, see how fast i can make it there.

Inspired by Cracken's new lightsaber, I took decent pictures of my own model lightsaber for posting. It was originally a toy lightsaber about fifteen years ago or so that I was given for Christmas. It came with the standard flashlight in the hilt and blue plastic tube for a blade; in the handle were then sophisticated electronics that made lightsaber noises when you swung it and Yoda's voice would say helpful things like 'Control, control...you must learn control!' I soon took off the ridiculous tube so it could be used as a flashlight, and we used it that way for years. Eventually, I realized that the hilt was a perfect one to one scale reproduction of Anakin's classic lightsaber that was featured in the original Star Wars as being given by Obi-Wan to Luke...so I set out to remove its toy-ness and make of it a proper model lightsaber.

Original toy, in package. ;)

image.jpg1_zps0y0nhjtq.jpg

With the electronics gutted and then put back together with a few additions and repainted, it came out like this:

image.jpg5_zpsmmkl6t6y.jpg

The original was metal with black trim. I chose to use a metallic finish with gray trim, just to be different.

image.jpg1_zpsei4xqfou.jpg

The other side. I removed the screws, and dealt with the holes by turning them into switches and dials for saber adjustment. I left one screw to hold on the access plate, because obviously there would be a screw there...

image.jpg2_zpslqic3uks.jpg

The blade emitter. Gone is the flashlight bulb and round plastic lens. In its place is the reflector out of a small battery powered lantern, which was covered with reflective chrome and whose original purpose was to scatter the light beamed at it out into different directions. Here it is repurposed to project a magnetic field filled with highly energized plasma. At some point I plan to paint the inside of the emitter and cowling with a burnt metal effect metallizer, but as of yet it still looks like it's been cleaned before being put up.

image.jpg4_zpswnt0qlpq.jpg

Here it is at home, displayed with some Japanese swords for scale:

image.jpg6_zpsgw6m9wrw.jpg

What cannot be shown with pictures is the weight and balance of the saber. The inside is filled with lead fishing weights which I carefully balanced so as to give one the sense of the blade end being weightier, and the overall model feeling more like a metal weapon and less like a toy. No blade...but realism right up to the point where you push the button and activate it. :)

Archived