Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

Perhaps the quest for self aware AI has been unsuccessful because all computers use electrical means to process information, but organic brains are both electrical and chemical in nature...

I think the quest for self aware AI has been unsuccessful because it is impossible. Even including organic components would get you animal-level faculties at best. Not all that helpful.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kinda got railroaded to 2nd shift. wasnt happy about it at first...but i'll be really furious if i have to work weekends. which they told me when i got hired originally i had weekends off. now gotta come up with a plan to avoid having to work them. because **** that ****, i am already missing a weekend thanks to military nonsense.

also...figures the va falsepital shrink-bitch ignored my request for a refill on my prescription. now all i can do is pray that i dont have an anxiety attack at annual training. :( could really use those meds with everything going on right now.

Day off project: re-tie handle of yard sword and make new battle cover.

The original sword had a black scabbard and poorly tied black ito on the handle. I repainted the scabbard in military colors and tied the handle with green sinker line...but I was always dissatisfied with the handle. The sinker line was too wide; the parachute cord I used in later handle tyings was thinner and produced a tighter pattern. (Note: I remove the cord interior before using the parachute cord, leaving the sleeve which forms a flat ribbon when empty.)

Original sinker line handle:

image.jpg1_zpsuj5xu4uu.jpg

So today I re-tied the handle with the parachute cord. It came out like this:

image.jpg1_zpsrm5j8zu3.jpg

The original paint job, complete with smart ass stickers...

image.jpg2_zps1tcsikht.jpg

Today I got a pair of modern GI surplus camo pants and cut them up to make a decent battle cover for the sword. In the process, I discovered that rip-stop will dull a pair of scissors, a pocket knife and a razor blade. :dozey: Leather is easier to work with.

image.jpg5_zpsdurhtdvk.jpg

The sword is a cheap battle ready katana made in China, which is why I use it to cut stuff in the yard. Modern looking and ready to clear out some overgrown bamboo out back.

The sword is a cheap battle ready katana made in China, which is why I use it to cut stuff in the yard. Modern looking and ready to clear out some overgrown bamboo out back.

You have bamboo out in the backyard? You have a backyard? You use a sword as a machete?

I need to take out another loan for more ?

Downside of my new car. 12v outlet fuse was blown. and there is a small chip in my windshield. They repaired a repair, but i can still see the crack from the inside. About ready to pull out some bigger guns and talk to the next people up the food chain at the dealership to get it fixed. If i am driving and can easily see the crack, it isn't fixed

i think i lost a friend...that girl i had the biggest crush on, well i spilled my guts and said i couldn't hang out anymore pretty much because my heart ****s with my mind too much when i'm around her-which always ALWAYS leads to me at the bar drinking until i throw it all up. can't wait for my shrink appointment. gonna blow up on her for not following up with me last year. stupid ****.

Long weekend at work ahead. School kids tonight... some rich guy's wife's Bollywood ego-trip all day Saturday and Sunday.

Had a huge panic attack at work yesterday... first time plugging a mic in after all the upgrades, and every channel we tried sounded absolutely horrible. Like it was running through a cheap fuzz-box into a phase-shifter, then a ring-modulator. Completely unusable.

When I called Yamaha support, they were on lunch break.

So we dug through menus and settings we rarely if ever touch. Turns out, the latency setting was off. How and why that changed during the setup, I have no idea, but putting it back to the correct setting fixed it.

WHEW!!! I wasn't sure how we were going to do the next 3 days of events without a P.A. system...

i am praying that my antidepressants are in the mail today...something besides alchol to help get my mind off of ****..idk i think i lost a good friend thanks to my ****ing heart for ****ing **** up. ****ing hell why me

they arrived. :) just in time. still feeling depressed...not looking forward to the next two weeks...i'll be at training which is going to suck no matter how i look at it. cant wait to be done and out...

You have bamboo out in the backyard? You have a backyard? You use a sword as a machete?

I need to take out another loan for more ?

Downside of my new car. 12v outlet fuse was blown. and there is a small chip in my windshield. They repaired a repair, but i can still see the crack from the inside. About ready to pull out some bigger guns and talk to the next people up the food chain at the dealership to get it fixed. If i am driving and can easily see the crack, it isn't fixed

Yes to all questions, even the loan. It will help your credit rating.

Consider this...seeing the crack is either a wonder or a horror, depending. :max:

Did my annual trip to see a Shakespeare play.

There is a world renown trope in Wisconsin about 45 minutes west of Madison. Deep in the heart of Frank Lloyd Wright territory.

Started off going about an hour south and had lunch at a Farm to Table restaurant. The food was obviously wonderful, and the place was packed. Then pass the Wisconsin river to get some wonderful world class artisan cheese at Carr Valley Cheese.

House-On-The-Rock_6.jpg

Then over to one of the most wounderous attactions. The House on the Rock. A very wealthy artistic man build a house on top of a rocky spire with only local materials he hauled up himself. Then after building the house he created rooms to house all his collections. Took us 3 hours to tour everything. A lot of Music rooms, and even a whale that was longer then the Statue of liberty was tall

the Tradition for American players theater is a picnic lunch before the performance. A nicely wooded area is relaxing and inviting. Before climbing "Up the hill" to the outdoor Theater

16814367-ae22-486f-868a-cd49c100978b-american-players-theatre.jpg

We had seats just to the left of where the guy is standing in the fifth aisle. 4 rows back, close enough to be spat on by the performers.

The play was "The merry wives of windsor" and the person playing John Falstaff did a great job as well as the one playing Mr Ford

Wonderful day for the trip

2 of the nicest days Boston has seen in a while... spent inside with a stage crowded with Bollywood players from India.

Very long days... so far. The show is predicted to be 3 hours long. Which seems optimistic. I'm guessing much longer. Last night, I was supposed to be on my way home before 8 after the rehearsal... but I didn't leave until after 10:30. We'll see.

Getting my fill of Indian pop this weekend. :rolleyes: Yay. :dozey:

11039273_10152929565663461_4898835471633361269_n.jpg?oh=37b096d2f708d0efe2d191197bf508f3&oe=56019EF0

/me has been slacking

Projected posts at year-end after May: 1,728

Got my laptop back pretty much when expected and ran brackets last Monday night. One more night of brackets tomorrow night before I can call my "summer vacation" started.

Pretty full weekend this weekend, but not nearly as stressful, imagined or otherwise, as the state tournament weekends were. My "first nephew" (the one I was first aware that I had) graduated from high school Friday, watched a cyberbuddy from the bowling forums win a tournament in my home house Saturday afternoon before my association's Hall of Fame dinner, and then my association's annual meeting this morning. I want to say we had more of the general membership at this meeting than we've had when we put out notice of it online.

Finally, I can cross off another item from my sports bucket list: The Information Age finally has a Triple Crown winner. I hadn't seen a horse win it since grade school, so I could fully appreciate American Pharoah's win yesterday. :)

Did my annual trip to see a Shakespeare play...

House-On-The-Rock_6.jpg

Then over to one of the most wounderous attactions. The House on the Rock. A very wealthy artistic man build a house on top of a rocky spire with only local materials he hauled up himself. Then after building the house he created rooms to house all his collections. Took us 3 hours to tour everything. A lot of Music rooms, and even a whale that was longer then the Statue of liberty was tall

My folks took me to see the House on the Rock when I was six or seven. :) Going to visit it again someday is on my bucket list; it really is an extensive study in wonder.

We have an annual Shakespeare festival in the local hamlet (see what I did there?) of Ashland. If you ever make it to that one, you'll have to look me up.

people are *******s. im done.

I hope he didn't mean us.

Or do anything rash...

Considering the odds of Pharoah winning, and the fact most of the challengers didn't even participate in the last race. it wasn't much of a surprise.

That horse is going to be getting a whole lot of sex for the rest of his life. Could easily make $36 million in stud fee's. and conservative estimates that is $75000 for each time

Zoom, if you are ever going and I am still in wisconsin, I could join you, or at least be a partner in crime.

Really liked the Organ room, and surprisingly a lot has changed in the last 20 years. Tho some parts are a little worse for wear as i don't think there is enough time, or talent to properly maintain all the music machines and animitronic shows

Archived