Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

Order up! :D

image.jpg1_zpso2yksaao.jpg

Last night's dinner special at the diner. Indian Tandoori chicken with a curried cream sauce on a bed of rice pilaf, with honey-ginger carrots. $14.99.

Tonight I think I will run a seared New York strip with mushrooms in a dijonnais sauce...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am no where near zooms cooking skills. But i do enjoy American Test Kitchen. Probably the only cooking show I really like that inspires me to cook things I normally wouldn't or doing things a certain way. It just a 5 minute segment they talked about Quinoa. The first time I tried it, i just boiled it in water and it had no flavor. American Test kitchen suggested roasting the seeds then doing at a pilaf.

SO MUCH BETTER. in fact my wife has begged me to do more. So i made a Tuscany Roasted Red Quinoa pilaf. and it was wonderful

Zoom, is your partial all acrylic with some wire clasps?

Yeah. The part that goes up against my palate is metal, and the rest is some kind of plastic that looks like teeth and gums. Except for the wire clasps, it looks surprisingly normal.

Have to say, wearing a partial isn't as bad as I've heard. Mine must fit pretty well. Food does get caught up in it, though, so...

Although I can make seared New York strip dijonnais, I can no longer (easily) eat it. :indif:

I saw Billy Joel in concert last night. I was worried about this show for a few reasons. First of all, it was in a stadium, so if the weather is bad, you're screwed. Sound can also be pretty bad in a stadium. And Billy himself is in his mid 60s now, and his voice has sounded pretty rough in recent years, and he hasn't seemed all that interested in music in any case.

However, it was absolutely fantastic. The weather was perfect. Not too humid, with the nice little breeze. The sound was amazing - loud but not too loud, and very clear. The best sound I have ever heard in a stadium concert. The lighting and video screen work were also fantastic. And Billy was in great form. His voice was perfect, and he even hit the high notes with no problem. His piano playing was also very sharp. The rest of the band was great as well. LeAnn Rimes opened, and she was very good too.

I'm especially glad it was a great show because I took my nephew, and this was his first concert. He had a blast!

Order up! :D

image.jpg1_zpso2yksaao.jpg

Last night's dinner special at the diner. Indian Tandoori chicken with a curried cream sauce on a bed of rice pilaf, with honey-ginger carrots. $14.99.

Tonight I think I will run a seared New York strip with mushrooms in a dijonnais sauce...

Oh yeah, Zoomie? I can cook too! :thmbup1:

FniKSwz.jpg

Italian sausage pan cooked in a mix of Franks Red Hot, BBQ sauce, and Black Velet whiskey. The pepper was cooked in the same. Red marinera sauce with sliced mushroom and sliced olives, with a bit of red chili paste for a bit of fire.

And now I wait for Zoomie to make me look like an amateur. :D:cool::p

What, no garnish?

:D

Just kidding. It looks good, but I would probably drink the whiskey, smack the waitress on the ass and knock the table over when I got up to leave. Then the manager would come over, I'd grab the ketchup bottle to defend myself, and things would just go south from there.

Cracken's fault. :max:

Update on the partials: I also can no longer whistle or roll my R's when speaking Spanish. I really hope to regain these abilities, as I do so adore the local Latinas...

You must have exotic Asian taste buds or something...

;)

I sat down to eat with the guys at an Indian restaurant I worked at, and the way they made the food when it was for themselves (and not for pasty gringo palates that find heat in yellow mustard) was indescribably hot, like food from the devil's table that tastes so delicious but burns you going in, from the inside, and most notably coming out. Indians. Do NOT. Play.

Today was the last day of the "Jazz in the Park" for the season. We have a "Big band" jazz orchestra that plays down by the riverside about 6 times a year. This years special guest was Deborah Brown and it was amazing.

Weather was prefect with a nice breeze. A wonderful sunset over the river. and the Sweet melody of Deborah leading the band was magic. She could do amazing scat that was perfectly in tune with the solo. a perfect night.

had a good lunch date today before going to work. :)

At what point does dating turn into a relationship? this is technically the 4th date i've had with this girl. the other 2 dates were way back in January. Never really dated like this before, all the other girls i was in a relationship with it was maybe 1-2 dates which were more of a "hangout" than an actual date then sex, but this one i want to take my time with and not rush into bed before i get to know her.

Speaking of hot food, is anyone here a big sushi eater? I am not, but I went to a sushi place on Friday with a friend. It's supposed to be a really good place. I've had sushi a couple of times in the past, and there was always a glob of the wasabi stuff on the side, so you could add it to taste. It was never part of the actual rice/fish thing. But this time, there was wasabi stuff in between all of the rice and fish. Sometimes it was a BIG glob - enough to make my nostrils feel like they were shooting out fire. It wasn't really unpleasantly hot, but it was enough to kind of mask the taste of everything else.

So my question is, is that common is sushi preparation? To put the wasabi stuff on the rice/fish instead of just having it on the side?

No, that sounds like hipster "fusion" sushi. The authentic, traditional stuff is what you described as having the spices on the side.

Had an OK weekend with my lady. The weather wasn't great, and I was feeling a bit "off" all weekend (I kinda still am, actually...) but we had a decent time anyway. Got to the beach twice. Had a couple of nice meals out. Slept in yesterday morning... until it was technically afternoon, actually.

This seemed like a pretty authentic place. The menu was all in Japanese, and the staff there barely spoke English. There were no fusion elements that I could detect. Maybe it's just a different style of sushi. I think I kind of like it better without the rice anyway. Just plain fish (sashimi, I guess that would be).

For sushi, it is all about tastes. And "Sushi" is really a style of cooking rice with vinegar often served with raw fish (sashimi) . In American we are more familiar with Futomaki or Uramaki, which are the Rolls with nori on the inside or outside with stuff in the middle

it is okay to use your hands to eat sushi

dip just enough of the sushi to get the taste of the soy sauce. if you want, place a little bit of wasabi on the side Opposite of the soy sauce.

If you are having sushi wrapped with sashimi, dip the fish part into the soy sauce.. not the rice part.

Don't put the wasabi in the soy sauce, you ruin the taste of both.

The pickled ginger is meant to be a palate cleanser between pieces... not to be put on top of the sushi

if the wasabi is in the sushi, it is not authentic Japanese, but a bastard Americanized version that is an insult to tasty raw fish everywhere

Archived