Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Neilsen's teevee research people want me to be a research household.

I've heard they pay you and stuff, but I don't know anyone who's done it. :indif: Do you guys think I should participate?

You definitely should. You would have the power to influence what goes on TV! And in the end, isn't that the most important issue facing our society today?

You would think all those digital cable boxes and 'on-demand' streams would leave a record someplace that can be tallied, and the data analyzed.

My guess is that the Nielsen people, like the offer I got to subscribe to TV guide the other day, are a relic from the pre-digital media universe with a tiny niche of Luddite hold outs, and clinging to life and relevancy for as long as they can before extinction.

The survival instinct is very strong...

I think I'll do the teevee ratings survey. Unless they get too nosey... :dozey:

Very good day prowling the pawn shops. I just love it when they get something and don't really know what it is. Like this model 1883 Japanese kyu gunto sword, which is a military mounting for a traditional samurai sword blade.

image_zpsizgyutk2.jpeg

The tang is unsigned, but that's not uncommon with this mounting. The tangs were often made smaller to fit the regulation military handle, and the signature would have been filed right off. However, the details are right in the steel...like this vivid hamon (temper line) and other points which identify this as a hand forged blade.

image_zpsfrrwwfn7.jpeg

The intricate carving on the back of the handle indicates that this sword originally belonged to a Japanese army officer of the rank of major or above. :) $290 (an insane crazy good price!)

image_zpsiuejlfmk.jpeg

Projected year-end post count after September: 1,778

The upset here is that I actually logged on on the first of a month and remembered to calculate the projected total.

So far, so good in my Wednesday night league, anyway. I'm averaging 181 after four weeks and have had a game 200+ in each of them. The only night so far I've been under 500 was my first night of my Sunday league. Lanes play really differently between the two nights, b/c I find I have to use a stronger ball Sunday night. Still, my teams are both up around 50% points won/lost, so I'll take that. :)

ha! nice!

Shame I have such a hard time watching baseball games. Its a sport I really want to get into, but every time I try I find myself so bored i almost fall off my chair.

That said, I always enjoy myself when I get to go to a Yankees game. So much better then watching it at home.

Anyone else battening down for this hurricane heading north? I wanted to go see the martian tomorrow, but that might not happen now.

Edit: Oh, and nice find zoom!

Zoom Rabbit: rescuing Japanese steel from ignorant pawn shop owners since 1983. :D

I also have an issue with baseball. The game looks like fun, but. It's. Too. Damn. Slow. I think the game would be improved if there were a clock involved, like in football and basketball...they wouldn't spend so much time standing around, acting like overpaid baseball players. Also, the runner should be allowed to keep the bat (for self defense) as he leaves the plate.

I'm for the Broncos. Are they in the playoffs? :dozey:

Saw the Martian Friday. Well worth it.

The book was good as a book

The movie of the book was good as a movie.

And we need to stop rescuing Matt Damon when he is lost in space.

I hope in my lifetime I will see a human walk on mars. And another walk on the moon

I would recommend to anyone going to see the martian, read the book first.

The movie is good, don't misunderstand. It just cuts alot out, and I mean alot.

two different entertainment media. both did it well. The movie was 2hrs and 33 minutes long. That was a LONG movie, but at no point was I bored, or checking the time, and really, can you think of something that REALLY needed to have been added. the only thing I can think of was his "Survive something that could have killed you" moment (if you read the book you know what meal I am talking about)

The movie climax, was a good movie climax, The ending of the movie was a good movie ending. The book ending was really flat, but that was because it was originally a blog, and didn't NEED an ending.

But the book.. being a book. has so much more depth to the story. in fact, as soon as I get done with my current slog through Keven J Andersons new Saga book I will read it again

had a good drill weekend...sortof. got home took my girl on a nice date, went and saw the movie 'the visit' lol not really that scary, more disturbing...i wanna see that crimson movie. also peter pan looks pretty good.

my girl also picked me up the star wars trilogy book...i've never read it so that should be a good read i think. :)

Archived