Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's your preferred Scotch?

I tend to steer away from the peaky smokey kinds like Laphroaig (I feel like i am smoking a cigar when drinking that). Glenlivet is my "Go to" brand and rarely buy any single malt younger then 12 years.

Balavine Double wood is fine for those who don't appreciate single malts

There is a place in Madison I love going to that has some nice 15-20yr (or more) scotches in barrels that you can buy 200ml bottles of. It is a chain called "Vom Fass". if you want to treat yourself without taking out a loan, you should see if there is one in your area. They also have a good selection of aged brandies and grappa

I just worked 43 hours of the last 72. Yup.

It's fun to do a full week's work, then ANOTHER full week's work (plus OT) in just 3 days. :)

No wait... it's not really fun at all. What's the thing that's diametric opposite of "fun"? That. It was that. :rolleyes:

The paycheck will be epic though. :D

Let's just hope I live to enjoy it... :dozey:

I tend to steer away from the peaky smokey kinds like Laphroaig (I feel like i am smoking a cigar when drinking that).

I definitely had to try peaty, smoky whisky a few times before I started to like it. I had Laphroiag 10 year old once at a restaurant, and I quite liked it. I plan to buy a bottle of that sometime this winter and spend some more time with it. So far, my favorite peaty whisky is Ardbeg. The 10 year old is excellent, and the Uigeadail, which is high ABV and also has some sherry maturation, is even better.

I haven't tried a Balvenie yet, but my friend is a big fan of the Balvenie 21 Year Old Port Wood, and bought a bottle a few weeks ago while we were on a whisky run. We're going to have a tasting to compare what we bought (his Balvenie and the Highland Park 18 year old I bought), so I'm looking forward to trying that.

I've had Cutty Sark, and thought that did the trick just fine.

*(Looks around.)*

What? :max:

My favorite form of whisky is unaged corn whisky (moonshine.) Since this reflects my Scotch-Irish heritage...I'm gonna have to go with Anonymous Moonshine in a Mason Jar being my choice of scotch. Fresh off the still.

and they try to take bad single malt, and give it more flavor by... putting it in another barrel

It's matured in an ex-bourbon cask and then transferred to a ex-sherry cask along the way. There's nothing particularly odd about that. A lot of single malts are mixtures of bourbon and sherry cask maturation.

Bad enough that some single malts are reusing barrels that were previously used for the same single malt

That's probably most of them. Using all first-fill casks could mean way too much cask influence, particularly in younger single malts.

The Balavine 12 year old Double Wood doesn't seem to have a bad reputation from what I can find. I'd try it for sure.

The restaurant is being sold. The deal isn't final yet, so nothing is set in stone...but the boss left some paperwork out on her desk, it was seen, and so she called a meeting to tell everyone what was going on.

Probably not a good idea. :dozey:

The kitchen staff is panicking. We were already short staffed, but when the news went down, our kitchen manager and prep cook put in their notice. The old man in back is also planning to quit when it changes hands, if he doesn't get a sweet deal like he gets from the current owners. Which leaves...

Me. :max: And one very brave but easily overwhelmed cook from Mexico who is difficult to understand.

This is really going to suck fat donkey balls, but I might get to run the kitchen for my efforts. Wish me luck.

Bought a 2 TB hard drive this afternoon. Backing up a bunch of crap off my laptop in case I decide to make the move to Win 10 and it all goes to hell in the process.

Or... if the internal drive craps the bed before I can get that far... which is always a distinct possibility with a 5+ year-old-laptop.

Either way... I'm covered for all the stuff I have no desire to lose... which isn't really all that much, anymore. Some family pics. A few music files. A couple of interesting PDFs... I doubt I'll make much of a dent on the drive.

The restaurant is being sold. The deal isn't final yet, so nothing is set in stone...but the boss left some paperwork out on her desk, it was seen, and so she called a meeting to tell everyone what was going on.

Probably not a good idea. :dozey:

The kitchen staff is panicking. We were already short staffed, but when the news went down, our kitchen manager and prep cook put in their notice. The old man in back is also planning to quit when it changes hands, if he doesn't get a sweet deal like he gets from the current owners. Which leaves...

Me. :max: And one very brave but easily overwhelmed cook from Mexico who is difficult to understand.

This is really going to suck fat donkey balls, but I might get to run the kitchen for my efforts. Wish me luck.

Good luck, Zoom! Run that kitchen! But not, like...into the ground. Run it out of the ground. Or...parallel to the ground? I'm not sure what ground metaphor is appropriate here. Whatever it is, do that.

What Mr/Msz Farlander said. Run that kitchen like a badass.

Edlib, I've always found that taking an image of your hard drive when backing it up is more usefull then just cherry picking files. If you miss a file, then your hard drive crashes, then...its gone.

Disk 2 vhd is a free utility that takes an image of your drive, and creates a VHD file of it. Then you can mount that vhd and get what you need off it.

What Mr/Msz Farlander said. Run that kitchen like a badass.

Edlib, I've always found that taking an image of your hard drive when backing it up is more usefull then just cherry picking files. If you miss a file, then your hard drive crashes, then...its gone.

Disk 2 vhd is a free utility that takes an image of your drive, and creates a VHD file of it. Then you can mount that vhd and get what you need off it.

I'll take it into consideration, thanks! :)

Even if I don't move to Win10, though, I might just reformat/ reinstall Win 7 from the backup DVDs I have. It's gotten pretty slow and buggy lately. But it's over 5 years on the same OS install without a refresh... I'm probably way overdue.

By the way: Keyan is a dude. I'm pretty sure we're all dudes here. Those of us remaining, still posting, and keeping this place alive on bare minimal life-support, that is. There used to be females... if you dig through the forum strata deep enough, you can see evidence of activity from the other gender back in the prehistoric past. Those days are apparently long gone now, though...

There might be lurkers, though... who knows?

Fair enough... but of those of us remaining here, it's 'Ye Olde Sausage Fest.

At least I think it is... I've met several of them in person too... but perhaps I assume too much. :joy:

If you want to see the faces behind the usernames, you'll find most here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/18468824200/ or https://www.facebook.com/groups/18003359008/

There, all our secrets are revealed.

By the way: Keyan is a dude. I'm pretty sure we're all dudes here. Those of us remaining, still posting, and keeping this place alive on bare minimal life-support, that is. There used to be females... if you dig through the forum strata deep enough, you can see evidence of activity from the other gender back in the prehistoric past. Those days are apparently long gone now, though...

There might be lurkers, though... who knows?

I've always believed that there was a secret lurker fan base of hot chicks who were too awed by our awesome sexiness to register and post but who instead download this webpage every morning and read our posts naked.

Headlights, right at the screen. :dozey: But we can't see it...

If I've learned anything in my life, its never a smart idea to assume someone is a guy on the interweb.

It's the Internet. Where men are men, women are men, and children are agents of the FBI.

Zoomie: If only that were actually true.

Pretty sure our collective nerd power alone will scare off most of them.

Archived