Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

Before the prequels, it never bothered me...

Yeah, that chosen one stuff did negatively affect the climax of Return of the Jedi. When Darth Vader was just some guy who fell to the dark side, it all worked well - it wasn't about action at that point, it was about a man who fell redeeming himself and saving his son. By not making it a big action moment, it puts the drama and themes of the movie in focus, and it proves Luke's statement to the Emperor that his overconfidence was his weakness true.

On the other hand, when you build up Darth Vader as being the most powerful Force user ever, and his killing of the Emperor as a prophecy, you are creating expectations for the final battle to be externally grander in scale.

The chosen one/prophecy angle didn't add anything to the prequels either, so I'm not sure what the point of it was.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the other hand, when you build up Darth Vader as being the most powerful Force user ever, and his killing of the Emperor as a prophecy, you are creating expectations for the final battle to be externally grander in scale.

I don't know about that. I love spaghetti westerns and Sergio Leone was the master of huge buildups to short action scenes. Time how long the final shootouts in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West take vs how much 'action' is in them. I think it's more of the fact that CGI action sets in the prequels are grander due to budget/sign of the times reasons that set it out of sync with the older movies.

Recently finished watching the entire 6 episodes of Star Wars again... In preparation of the new film... And the fact that my girlfriend had never seen either the prequel trilogy, or all the Special Edition DVDs and wondered what all the hubbub was about... So I showed her.

She was kinder and more forgiving than I am to both... Though she did hate Jar-Jar in ep. 1.

After seeing ROTJ last night, something struck me:

The final scene with the Emperor was really kinda lame. All that build-up about being the "Chosen One" and the most powerful Force user in the galaxy... And his solution in the end is picking up the really bad guy, and throwing him down an open hole like a sack of potatoes. No Force Push... No Choke... No Saber play. Other than his cyber-enhanced strength, it doesn't seem like there was that much that being Darth Vader helped him in this. Chewbacca could have easily done the same thing if he was there... And probably survived the lightning attack.

I'm not sure exactly where having the universe's highest Midichlorian count came into play.

When I think about it, it really was more than a little anticlimactic.

Before the prequels, it never bothered me...

A high Midiclorian count? JESUS CHRIST, you didn't get the idea of the force creating a immaculate conception?

That was likely one of the worse ways to write how someone is powerful, but creating something and having presense of that something mean you have a correlation of how powerful you are it was star wars equivalent of "It's over 9000!"

If you just take the Climatic battle between the 3 forces users scene at face value, yes it is anti-climatic. But there is so much more that isn't said and is subtext you might have missed

Vader wanted luke to join him, take out the Emperor, and rule as father and son.

Luke, wanted to save this father from the Dark side, and maybe defeat the emperor

The Emperor, either wanted luke dead, or turned to the dark side. Maybe even Luke taking Vader out at the same time.

But when Vader threatened Luke's sister, throwing Luke into a fit of dark side rage, it was only at the point of administering the final blow, that Luke understood how he was becoming just like his father. And Rejected the Dark side.

Vader might have realized that if Luke could do it, maybe he could. But it would have to be a sacrifice of himself to save his son.

The 6 star wars movies isn't about Evil Empire against good guys. it is all about the Fall and redemption of Anakin/Vader

No... I got all that.

It's just the selling of Anakin as the super Force user to end all Force users all during the prequels... only to see him NOT do anything even the slightest bit Jedi-like in order to dispatch the Sith Lord who has been messing up the Galaxy for 50 or 60 years.

Seriously:

Once again these ragged dogs have struck one of our cities. The innocent lie dead in the streets, once again, as sirens pierce the night. The clash of civilizations has come to personal tragedy...once again. In God's name.

:dozey: Next they say they will attack the US again.

*(Chambers a round.)*

Bring it.

i wish i could say i was surprised to hear of the attack on paris. but i'm not. i've seen too many videos of isis/*******s executing their own people, it was only a matter of time. especially with this mass-regugee bull****. why arent' they migrating to the countries where the muslims are majority? trojan horse that was bound to happen and it's probably already here in america, i'm begging my friends not to go to the macy's thanksgiving day parade or if they go to know the parade route and study exfiltration routes, but they're civilians they don't know any better. :( we should declare total war, arm every man child and woman, give every citizen 1 million dollars instead of throwing it at these ****ing sand people.

We've stepped up our security here... although that typically means a 20-something college student work-study kid making minimum wage, doing his homework by the stage door with a walkie-talkie to campus security, who are typically unarmed.

That will surely stop battle-hardened suicide attackers with grenades and Kalashnikovs. :dozey:

blew off steam at the range today. way too many people at the 25/100m lanes so me and my bro took the 200m lanes took like 100 rounds to finally get the .22 on target...AR15 on the other hand i have no idea, every time i go to the range the 25m lane is hogged so i havent even zeroed it yet. /mad

having a great time playing The Old Republic with my girlfriend. things are going good...cant wait until the semester is over so i can have more time with her.

Can you play honky-tonk, wash the dishes and reload magazines under fire?

I play a lot of ragtime, which should be close enough. I can totally wash the dishes - I have years of experience volunteering to do this so that I can get out of having to cook anything. All of my firearms experience is in revolvers and rifles without detachable magazines, so I'm not 100% up on reloading magazines under fire, but I'm a quick study :rifle1:

Just need to recruit some chicks... :dozey:

That would make this apocalyptic scenario better than my current non-apocalyptic scenario :dozey:

I want to buy a rifle, but I have no idea where to start, what to look for. Bolt action, semi-auto, clip fed, manual fed, scope, sights, where to actually fire the weapon.

Kinda lost. ;_;

For a first long gun, I suggest a pump action shotgun. It's the kind of gun that makes a scary sound when you load it (always useful if there's a burgular on the other side of the door.) Learning that kind of gun will give you a good idea about the basics of chambering, safety and keeping it clean.

For a first hand gun, I suggest a revolver. They never jam, are easy to clean, and very simple to operate.

You will need eye protection and ear plugs. You will need a gun cleaning kit, bore cleaner and gun oil.

Most importantly, get some training. It can be as simple as taking a veteran buddy with you to the range, signing up for hunter education at the local parks and recreation department, or getting professional gun fighter training. Just make sure that the first time you go out to the shooting range, you have someone with you who can make sure you're doing it safely.

For a range, try googling them for your area. It might be legal to shoot on public lands, too, depending on the laws in your state. If shooting in the open, always check the 'back drop,' or area behind where you will be shooting, to make sure there isn't anyone where the bullets will be coming down.

To sum up: shot gun or revolver, hearing and eye protection, gun cleaning supplies, get training, google a public range or find a safe place out in the woods (if legal in your area.) :) Now go blow some sh*t up.

I'm just praying that guitars will become the accepted form of currency... because it will be me and maybe Slash ruling the wastelands if that is the case. :dozey:

But I propose a XWA bunker... where we all pool our talents and resources together, and become the heroes the remnants of America needs, if not necessarily the ones it wants.

We will conquer, and then breed a new civilization... one based on sarcastic, mildly self-pitying, and occasionally insightful internet comments.

It cannot fail.

:joy:

I want to buy a rifle, but I have no idea where to start, what to look for. Bolt action, semi-auto, clip fed, manual fed, scope, sights, where to actually fire the weapon.

Kinda lost. ;_;

clip fed? no such thing. magazine now, that's another story.

Here in NY, its damn hard to get the permission to buy a hand gun. And its illegal to own a taser. but I can go out and buy a shotgun, give it 5 days, and bring it home.

Though, I would prefer a rifle. First and last time I fired a shotgun, i was almost nocked on my ass.

Never been a fan of the new viper looks. its like the artist who designed those was trying too hard to design a futuristic viper. At least, that's how it looks to me.

fair enough, I was 15, and I have no idea what gauge I shot. I do know I didn't hit anything when I shot at the moving discs of the boyscout camp.

I did get my rifle merit badge at 14 though, and I got it all in one week. couple that with my preference to use a longer range weapon in video games (single shot if possible), and you see why I'd prefer a rifle.

Though that's just me.

Oh, and its not just paperwork. You need to go on an interview as well, to make sure your not some psychotic individual looking to get a weapon to hurt folks with.

There is a game for showing you how some guns work. Its called world of guns, and its on steam. Very interesting to see how to disassemble a gun, and xray views of the internal parts of a firearm.

I've always believed in appropriately sizing a weapon to the person using it. I'm on the smaller side myself, so my shotgun is a 20 gauge. I also prefer the 9 mm caliber handgun over a .45 (9 mm being equivalent in width to a .38 caliber) and choose the short sword over the long one. :D I also dig short women.

With shotguns, the smaller number means bigger barrel. A 10 gauge is freaking huge, but a 410 is very small. The 20 gauge is about medium.

Based on the color of the shells I see on the ground at my favorite shooting spot, the 12 gauge is the most popular shotgun in use. Matt was probably shooting a 12 gauge...and that would knock me on my ass, too.

Another hint: the heavier the gun is, the more recoil it will absorb. An old wooden-stock shotgun with ten pounds of iron in the barrel will feel easier to shoot than one of the modern pistol-gripped models with plastic frames and shorter barrels. It works with handguns, too; my steel framed Luger is easier to handle than the aluminum framed Walther P38, although both fire the same cartridge.

R15, that really sucks. :dozey: Some bureaucrat decided for you that you could have only so many bullets in the magazine. What a time we live in...

Never been a fan of the new viper looks. its like the artist who designed those was trying too hard to design a futuristic viper. At least, that's how it looks to me.

My favorite is the classic viper, from the original BSG series. It's the one on the right. It just looks like a piece of sci-fi hardware, designed to rocket through space.

There was more thought given to aerodynamics with the later two designs, which makes sense when they take them into atmosphere. Makes them look like airplanes.

Archived