Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shotguns are nice, but I've been a fan of Single Shot rifles since I was a kid. I think most are, because we grew up idolizing World War II heroes.

I would eventually like to own an M1 Garand. They are mighty expensive, and the .308 might actually be more powerful than I can realistically handle. I was considering a .22 bolt action rifle to learn on, then move up to the larger calibers.

Or something. Don't know enough about rifle manufacturers to really make a clear decision.

A bolt action rifle would also be a good choice for a first gun--teaches the basics. Stay away from .22, though. The ammo is hard to find, believe it or not. My bolt action is a 30/30, which seems to be a nice, medium kick for a shrimp like me. Manufacturers are fairly equal; in most cases, you get what you pay for.

Can I ask what kind of rifle you have, that takes a 30 round clip?

Edit:was it something I said?

:dozey: You said 'clip.'

No one says 'clip,' not since Old Yeller died.

;)

AR-15. i use the M4 magazines i got issued on deployment with it. :)

i have a remington 710, it's a cheaper version of the remington 700. bought it at walmart for under $200. synthetic stock, it uses .270 caliber rounds and you can buy the bullets in different weights, there's i think the lowest is 75 grain up to 150. of course the higher you go the more sore your shoulder is going to be at the end of the day.

cooked dinner for my girlfriend and myself, made sloppy joes...they turned out alright considering it's been a while since i've made them. afterwards we played The Old Republic for about 8 hours straight. lmao.

I proposed making gun ownership a licensed privelege. Putting it on the individual rather than the gun, because it's the owner who needs to be knowledgeable about safety.

:dozey: Right now, when grandpa dies, little Bobby gets a gun or two with absolutely no training. Bobby could also be crazy as hell, or hooked on meth. That's a problem.

planning on jumping ship to work with my friend as my supervisor and i'll be starting at at least $12 an hour which is 1.50 more an hour than what i make now...guratneed full time, holiday pay, no 3% ****ing city tax cause i wont be working in the city that made that law, and 3-11 shift plus there's some overtime days. weekends generally off. just found out my current job does not pay holiday pay and i got a ****ing tax levy for some unknown reason so **** that place. lol /randomevent

lol, sounds like an upgrade similar to my phone. had this alcatel piece of crap with 8 gigs of internal memory, and a 16 gig sd card in it. my oneplus one has 64 gigs of internal storage, and I'm still not sure what to do with all the space. have all my apps installed, music uploaded, and I still have 32 gigs of space.

Edit: rogue, thats a nice upgrade right there. thats a jump I'd make too.

im gonna put my 2 weeks in when i know for fact that i got this other job...at least i'll get a certificate from department of corrections training academy...only sucky thing is i will not be getting experience towards being a qualified applicant for a career as a parole agent...though i might be able to work something out where i can work there part time.

The LF home page is shrinking! Reminds me of that Star Trek episode where the universe shrinks because of an experiment Wesley was doing with the warp core...

Update:

The situation at work is getting interesting. The new owners are taking over the establishment at the same time the old owners are hovering about to make sure the whole thing doesn't crash before they get their bearings. On the one hand, I've got the old boss running on and off the line with a sharp eye out for anything 'not up to standards,' and on the other I have the new boss standing right next to me, watching what I do in fine detail. Very annoying.

The old man who's doing the kitchen manager job now told me that he would be leaving after Christmas, which gives me little time to learn a whole grip of back of the house stuff. My justification for getting the new iPad was so I could load more apps on it that I might need at work. :D Riiiiight.

The staff continues to remain short. We just got rid of one guy who was too slow, and the new guy with mad skills and lots of experience was going to quit today because the old boss said something that hurt his feelings. :dozey: On day two. I can tell already that he isn't going to make it either, due to what I call 'chef ego.' Why can't people just be simple, humble cooks?

Just to rant...the guy with the hurt feelings is a vet, wearing a Marines hat. :max: Seriously? A marine is quitting because someone insulted him? The leathernecks I trained with were not put out by any amount of harsh language. The old boss apologized to him, which forestalled the ego crisis for today. Which was POINTLESS, as I pointed out, because the old boss is LEAVING.

The new boss is Korean. Like, off the boat Korean, difficult to understand. He and his wife are very nice people, and love my work so far, but since they are from the old world, there is the possibility of cultural misunderstanding. If they were Japanese I would have a clue how to react, but just across the pond from them is a whole different ballgame.

I am literally about to become the only human being there with a solid background in the cuisine. :indif: This is Red Five going in...!

\

The new boss is Korean. Like, off the boat Korean, difficult to understand. He and his wife are very nice people, and love my work so far, but since they are from the old world, there is the possibility of cultural misunderstanding. If they were Japanese I would have a clue how to react, but just across the pond from them is a whole different ballgame.

I am literally about to become the only human being there with a solid background in the cuisine. :indif: This is Red Five going in...!

I wish I could be some help here. Despite being Korean, I was raised American... so I got nothing. :/

reconsidering quitting current job, going to see if i can work a deal where i just work weekends there and at the other job i'm 3-11 so i really won't get any days off but i'll be saving the job because i need that experience. plus it's not like "work" going there. i love it. just need that extra $$$, goal by end of next year is to have $10,000 saved up...

Well, I had a nice and relaxing weekend....kinda. Tried formulating an LP of my very own, needs to have 4x4 matrix minimum. Started working out the word problem portion first, and I have to say, that was a pain. I need 1 more set of values for the last sentance, then decide if I want to make it a min or max problem

Besides that, I got really into divinity dragon commander. Though I did rage quit yesterday. There was a battle where it was me vs the ai, and the ai had a solid advantage in numbers. I figured i've dealt with that before, no worries.

whelp, the battles are a bit like dota, where you need to capture key points on the map, then produce units from those key points. I would make solid gains on the land of the map, then the ai would use a cloaked transport to drop a whole mess of guys in my starting area to capture or kill everything there. and it got frustrating. the ai would never get a solid lead from this tactic, but it was lots of anoyances over the course of 20 is minutes. Where I had to fall back from the front line, to re-enforce my flank, then go back. couple that with the ai dropping off enough units to insta-capture half my base before you could blink, and I was just done.

so, I walked away from it for some farcry 3. nothing reduces stress like capturing enemy outposts with a bow and arrow, and a flame thrower.

passed first aid/cpr class. turned in my rental books. started up my workout, did bunch of situps on my decline bench today, ran 3 times last week (tuesday, thursday, saturday). awaiting my friend to call me saying what his boss said about interviewing/hiring me on.

I haven't mentioned my running lately, but it's going well. I always get into these situations were my running is going well, but then I get sick or have to work every waking second of the day, and I lose a bunch of progress. But I've had about 10 good weeks in row so far, and the weather has been perfect for running too.

Last week I did a 5-mile run in 36:00 flat and a 10-mile run in 1:16 flat. Not great times even by amateur standards, but I'm not really working on getting faster in particular - it's just a nice way to mark progress in fitness. Seeing lower times is always motivating.

well since we are on the topic of quitting jobs. I have decided, afterconsulting my wife that I am looking for a differant job, and hoping to quit my current one by end of march, jsut before the busiest time of the year for my work. Just got tired of being jerked around. I have to schedule my 2 full weeks of vacation next year, by the end of the month. Out of the 5 years i have worked there, I have only gotten a full week off once due to senoirity BS. yet they can make me work overtime, with as little as a notice at the start of my shift, and maybe a day to work on my day off.

The "loss prevention" manager is a Little Napoleon who has micromanaged us to death in the name of safety. I now have a $2 glove to cut boxes with, a pair of $5 gloves, that don't fit, to move wooden pallets with, Badly fitting safety glasses when I am riding on a forklift. I now have to beep by horn at every aisle, and 3 times at the end of an aisle or cross aisle (I actually got taken into the office once for beeping TOO many times at the end of the aisle) a blue light on my forklift that EVERYONE complains is too bright and gives me headaches all day.

And today, Mr Napolean came running up to me as I was moving away, asking if I had safty glasses to wear, I put them on, and he comes into my face asking if I am wearing them. I flipped out and told him to "Knock it the F#$% off and leave me along" He got made and yelled at me to come ot the office. When we got to the office he told me "Sit there, or keep walking out the door" Where he called the new BUILDING manager who got recently promoted and wanted a "witness"

And i basically lost it getting tired of his harrassment of me. Not once while he has been on the warehouse floor has he ever noticed i did anything right, instead he has Always pointed out something I was doing wrong. (see above about beeping my horn too many times)

oh.. an MR Napolean didn't have time to resolve it cause he was suppose to leave. basically making a mess for the others to clean up

So it ended up while I had a 15 minute cooling off period, which turned into 25 minutes, as my direct supervisor, My manager, HR manager, and building manager hashed it out. It was my lunch time I told them I was going to take my lunch, before anything happened.

In the end I talked to my supervisor, and Manager about the issues, of getting properly fitting safety glasses and gloves, and I never got a chance to talk to the HR manager about the harassment cause she was gone

So tomorrow I am going to my manager and complain i was told to talk to the HR manager, BUT SHE WAS NEVER THERE yesturday after the incident before i had to leave.

FML

Though I did rage quit yesterday.

I did that once. Sauté pan hit the wall, spraying hot grease on the ceiling. Ripped off my apron and hit the kitchen manager in the face with it. Showed everyone they were number one (in a manner of speaking) and slammed the front door on my way out. Astonished clientele staring in mid-meal.

:dozey: Very satisfying.

;) Also very young...

I haven't mentioned my running lately, but it's going well. I always get into these situations were my running is going well, but then I get sick or have to work every waking second of the day, and I lose a bunch of progress. But I've had about 10 good weeks in row so far, and the weather has been perfect for running too.

Last week I did a 5-mile run in 36:00 flat and a 10-mile run in 1:16 flat. Not great times even by amateur standards, but I'm not really working on getting faster in particular - it's just a nice way to mark progress in fitness. Seeing lower times is always motivating.

You need to stop bragging, Keyan. I would kill to be able to run a 7-minute mile consistently. ;x

damn, k_k, sounds like you need to be more safe at work!! peoples lifes are in dangarr! doesnt look like i'll get to keep my current job with this other one because my buddy said there's alot of overtime...and i am interested in making money i'm sick of living paycheck to paycheck i want to bank $10,000 a year and have some left over for fun. i want to get another car and another computer. :p

Archived