Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

Still doing better Sunday night than Wednesday night, both individually and as the team, and it probably helps that I have a very good bowler on my Sunday night team to get advice from.

UBA weekend coming up next weekend, and I know I'm running brackets for one of the tournaments that will hold an event in conjunction with that.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read the book series "The Expanse" by James SA Corey. SyFy is making a Tv series based on the book, and the Pilot episode is streaming free online. my Wife and I watched it yesturday.

I do not watch much TV. Except for football. The last shows I religiously watched SW: rebels, Clone wars, and Game of thrones. that's it

The Expanse is going to be a show I watched. And the pilot episode is amazing. I know what is going to happen because I read the books, but that does not take away my excitement. There are some good lines, good character banter, amazing sets and the writing is great.

"I am coming in, I don't want to see any hairy bits"

Lol, I never got to alderan. Back when I played tor, the highest level one of my toons got was 30. Then the Grindy nature of the game bored me enough that I stopped playing altogether.

Edit: fecking auto correcting phone. Only complaint I have about it so far.

So I picked up farcry 4 on the steam sale. 25 bucks, not bad at all for that. I kinda see what everyone was saying about the protagonist just being ok with killing people right off the bat. No real character arc so far. That said, its just as fun as farcry 3 to run over animals.

They do need to get a better way of hunting the giant game of rihnos and elephants. There is something I'm trying to get enough skins to craft, and every time I kill a rihno with a shotgun, I don't get a skin. If I try to use another weapon, the bow, the assault rifle, a car ect. the thing kills me before I can kill it.

My computer upgraded to Windows 10. I didn't really want it to... but it started this morning, and I decided to give in and run with it.

Not sure what I think yet. I'll keep you posted...

Wait, what? It did it without your explicitly agreeing to it? I would have punched my computer straight in its stupid computer face if it did that.

They do need to get a better way of hunting the giant game of rihnos and elephants. There is something I'm trying to get enough skins to craft, and every time I kill a rihno with a shotgun, I don't get a skin. If I try to use another weapon, the bow, the assault rifle, a car ect. the thing kills me before I can kill it.

Silly human...the trick is to get them to fight each other, then come back later and collect the skin.

Wait, what? It did it without your explicitly agreeing to it? I would have punched my computer straight in its stupid computer face if it did that.

Yeah! Even my Beast controlled iPad asks politely before installing an updated operating system...

I think it had downloaded the files as part of Windows Update, and my options were to install it now, or install it later. And I think I had clicked the wrong button trying to make the window go away.

I probably could have canceled out of it, but I was eventually going to make the move anyway...

It's not horrible. Seems less resource-hoggy so far. A bunch of my custom tweaks disappeared though, and a lot of my security software is incompatible, and will need to be updated and reinstalled...

I'm not used to the interface yet... but I go through that with every OS update. Why they choose to move the most used menu items around for the sake of "newness" and aesthetic-changes for the sake of chages is still beyond me.

It works fine.

I found how to get most of my tweaks back, and now my firewall and antivirus are reinstalled.

It's faster on a few things, slower on a couple. But it seems to not have the nasty memory leak that 7 had.

10 minutes after booting up, with nothing running, I'd be up to 60+% RAM usage, until I shut all the background programs off and restarted them one at a time. And my internal fan would be spinning full blast...

So far, with a bunch of stuff running I haven't gone north of 40%

So... Aesthetics aside, it's better in that way.

My biggest reason for not upgrading my laptop is my paranoia about how they are released win 10. Why make such a new OS, that took ungodly amounts of money to create, for free?

Not as some massive discount (instead of 200, people could buy it for 20 bucks for the first 6 months, then 50 bucks for the next 3 months, ect.), but free. Too me, that smacks of something else going on.

Apple started it. The last couple of OSX upgrades have been free downloads.

Well... Actually, Linux really started it. Many of the distros have been free for years, and a lot of them are now streamlined to the point where my 85 year old mom could get around on them easily. If anything had gone wrong with the upgrade to 10, I was completely prepared to say the hell with it and install Ubuntu instead.

If you are going to charge hundreds of dollars when all your major competitors are giving their comparable products away for free, you are going to find yourself without customers.

It's the main reason Microsoft has now branched into being a hardware maker.

Computer companies still have to pay them a license for pre-installing Windows on all their machines, though, from what I understand. They are in no danger of going out of business any time soon.

I wish I could just install Ubuntu and call it a day. My gaming hobby won't allow it though. I have so many games that can only run on windows. Heck only 1/3 of my steam library can run on Linux, and 2 of my 30 games from gog are Linux compatible.

I love the idea of Linux, but its not really a feasible primary os for us gamers.

WINE works well, if not totally perfectly with a lot of Windows games, especially the older ones.

But you could always dual boot, or run virtual desktop.

I haven't gamed on a computer for years. I barely play on my consoles these days as is.

wine doesn't work that well. Its damned hard to figure out how to run anything in wine. Trust me, i've tried more then a few times.

dual booting isn't a bad choice, but then you waste space on a second operating system. And you have to choose how much each gets. And, finally, you can't just fire up a game from windows, you have to reboot and login.

The hassle makes it not worth it (to me). Why run 2 operating systems, when I can just run the one and do everything I want to do, and support my hobby?

And gaming is one of the few vices I have left, so I try to support it whenever possible. That said, I haven't had a girlfriend in 10ish years, and still live with my parents. So take that how you like.

oh yea, see I tried to run a few business related programs through wine in the past. One java program compiled as an exe (I didn't write it, so don't ask), and a retail management program my company uses.

I was never able to get anything to run through wine.

Besides, sometimes you want to play something new and improved. Like farcy 4 for instance!

Suffice it to say, the people that provided it to us were not the brightest bulbs in the socket.

That said, the software did work flawlessly. Don't recall ever having a problem with the software that was specifically caused by the software. Typically windows messed up somewhere, once windows was fixed, then the software was functioning again almost instantly.

Archived