Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guess i'm gonna be celebrating russian christmas and chinese new year. my current job thinks i'm a great candidate for working xmas eve, xmas day, and new year's eve. they're just days anyways, right? and they're fortunate they don't have to pay me holiday pay. which is pretty ****ed up. but whatever, i'm used to getting raped by employers.

getting myself back in shape by running. 3 miles a day at least every other day. school is over. so glad the semester is over. i'm through with it for a while. at least i have an associate degree which the only requirement besides 2 years working where i work to get where i want to go career wise. as far as the job as a press operator my friend is trying to get me into, i'm relying on someone there to get fired which i don't really see happening as the guy is related to someone in upper management, so i will just remain where i am and embrace it for the time being. at least i am not miserable there like i was at walmart.

doing my christmas shopping on friday, just a few things i need to get. :joy:

There's a new Star Trek Trailer out now too. Seems to be very much in the "James Kirk: Last Action Hero" mold of the last 2. Lots of fights, explosions, and very little moral questioning about humanity's place in the universe.

But I found this more beautiful and exciting: (This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

This apparently is going to be a thing.

There's a new Star Trek Trailer out now too. Seems to be very much in the "James Kirk: Last Action Hero" mold of the last 2. Lots of fights, explosions, and very little moral questioning about humanity's place in the universe.

I can't believe it's come to this, but Independence Day looks better than Star Trek.

I can't believe it's come to this, but Independence Day looks better than Star Trek.
That was kinda my initial feeling too.

I recently re-watched both of the new Trek films with my girlfriend who hadn't seen them... and I loved the job each of the actors did, as well many of the sets and effects... but the stories left me with nothing substantial.

Undiscovered Country came on a few days later, and within the first 20 minutes, there was more meat in terms of plot and moral dilemmas than the other 2 movies combined.

That was kinda my initial feeling too.

I recently re-watched both of the new Trek films with my girlfriend who hadn't seen them... and I loved the job each of the actors did, as well many of the sets and effects... but the stories left me with nothing substantial.

Undiscovered Country came on a few days later, and within the first 20 minutes, there was more meat in terms of plot and moral dilemmas than the other 2 movies combined.

I kind of made it sound like I didn't like the original Independence Day that much, but I did. In fact, I always thought people gave it too much crap. Sure it was a little silly, but that movie was entertaining as heck. You had spaceships, lasers, action, romance, Will Smith being Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum being Jeff Goldblum...great stuff.

But Star Trek always seemed to be about something in a way that went beyond just being a fun ride. That doesn't mean all the Star Trek movies were better than Independence Day (in fact, I'd say all the TNG movies were worse), but it does make me expect more from Star Trek.

I didn't really think much of any of the actors from the new Star Trek movies, except for Karl Urban as McCoy and Simon Pegg as Scotty (just for over the top comedy value).

Maybe... But who knows? It could be scripted events using the modified engine. Whatever... It looks amazing. Whoever spent the time making that deserves some kudos, even if it doesn't turn out to be actually playable.

Here's a funny-ish review of the Trek trailer you might agree with Keyan:

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2015/12/theres-a-new-star-trek-trailer-and-it-looks-terrible/

I mostly agree with the points made there myself.

I thought Chekov was over-the-top annoying most of the time, Sulu was way too subdued, and Uhura came across as way too sultry to be taken seriously in a professional environment, but that all of the actors did all right in the highly unenviable position of recreating the iconic roles from now world famous actors. (But yes... Bones and Scotty were the cast standouts by a parsec.)

It's too bad they didn't have better scripts to act to.

Archived