Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

Just saw it.

OMG did not see SPOILER coming. :crybaby:

Usual tropes and homage to the originals. Good humor, Finn is the reluctant hero. Rae is the Hero that doesn't want to face her destiny.

Not as good as ESB (nothing really can top that) about as good and enjoyable as RotS... with better acting and writing, and less CGI

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

going to see it tomorrow. some piece of **** on facebook spoiled me on one of the veteran sites i frequent. really pissed me off. then again i should've known better. maybe it wasn't a spoiler, but i think it is. why do people have to be such ****ing ****suckers?

my girlfriend bought us tickets for tomorrow afternoon. i think i'll watch return of the jedi tonight. :)

It's good.

It felt like a swan song to the OT, and given the course of the movie, I can dig that vibe and live with it.

The new cast really did well. I was impressed by all of them.

It was... very fast paced though. The OT definitely was a bit slower.

Also: BB-8 is the most awesome droid ever.

I'll try to get there this weekend.. with the GF. I'll probably be too tired tomorrow... just got through a 15-hour shift. An $800-above-and-beyond-my-normal-salary shift, which is awesome... especially going into the holidays... but a 15 hour shift, nonetheless.

Especially after leaving my house a bit before 7 this morning, after getting home from work a bit before midnight. Short sleep; long shift; tired ed.

Star Wars is awesome... but Star Wars can wait. Health first.

going to see it tomorrow. some piece of **** on facebook spoiled me on one of the veteran sites i frequent. really pissed me off. then again i should've known better. maybe it wasn't a spoiler, but i think it is. why do people have to be such ****ing ****suckers?

Because people are...people. Best way to describe them, right there.

This weekend is my birthday weekend, I lied by a month on my profile. So I'm going to try and co-ordinate my friends and family today, to see what days and times would be best for everyone this weekend. Then plan to see that showing of the force awakens.

1RXwQGT.jpg

John Boydega was on Jimmy Fallon last night. Quite funny. JJ Abrams called him up and invited him to a coffee shop.. then told him he got the one of the leading roles. Johns reaction? "I GOT A JOB!!!!"

Not a spoiler > I think I have some ideas who Rae's parents are.

Also the latest Big Bang Theory was a riot. The group were seeing the movie, and it was transposed with a sex scene, to illustrate to some nerds that seeing this movie is like having good satisfying sex.

Wil Wheaton (who players Evil Wil wheaton in BBT and wore a Star Trekuniform to the movie) has one of the best lines "Yea.. well, live long and SUCK IT!"

so, who has seen the movie? i'm planning on seeing it again monday, this time in IMAX 3D since it won't be as ****ing annoyingly crowded (less anxiety).

oh yeah speaking of anxiety...i'm all out of meds. :) gonna see how i am the next few weeks and if i need to schedule another appointment with the shrink so i can get more, i will...

okay.. .seriously everyone. Watch "The Expanse" on the Syfy channel. They have the first four episodes free on demand/online, and my wife and I just watched the 4th episode and it was AMAZING, best one so far.

I was on the edge of my seat I was so excited, and I read the books and knew what was going to happen.

I hate, I HATE, I HATE people who get in the express lane at Wal-mart and have credit card issues that take seven minutes of half-witted re-swiping and a manager's authority to resolve! That's what the stupid lanes are for.

:max: I also hate ponderously fat people using the handicapped electric carts and taking up the whole aisle in slow motion. I just want to unplug the battery and say 'Guess what? Cart's broken. Time to walk off some of those ding dongs and ho ho's.'

I saw it in 3d. Gave me a headache every time something tried to jump out of the screen at me. But it was an amazing movie. Going to try and wrangle my freinds together, and see it with them next weekend. We'll see who's available and who's not.

What is star wars uprising? Another mmo?

Edit: zoom, go see it in theaters. Trust me, you want to see it on the big screen.

Well, I saw it yesterday. For the most part, I liked it.

But there were a few little things that bugged me.

I'll have to see that if on subsequent viewings I come to loathe those things (like Jar-Jar...) or can learn to accept or ignore them (like Ewoks...)

Most of the things that REALLY bugged me were all very J.J. Abrams signature shots... and the reason they bugged me is mainly because he used almost the exact same shots in Star Trek. I counted 3 almost frame-for-frame homages, and a couple that looked very close, and every time it immediately took me out of the movie for a minute.

The other things were the times it became apparent that it was self-consciously trying too hard to remind us all that IT REALLY IS A "Star Wars" movie. I laughed at all the obvious references to the OT this time... but I have a creeping suspicion that some of those jokes will start to grate after a couple of viewings. I hope not... but a few of them felt a bit forced and heavy-handed.

The acting, visual and sound effects, sets and locations were all great. Much of the plot lifted just a bit too closely to a previous chapter... but that wasn't unexpected.

The ending felt a bit... incomplete.

But mostly, I really liked it.

Yeah... but it's the first SW movie to end that abruptly and unresolved. Even ESB and RotS had formal, resolved endings of sorts, despite both technically being cliffhangers of the series.

But I get it. It just didn't feel very "Star Wars-y" to me... after sitting through a movie that seemed to be trying very, VERY hard to feel that way.

It's not a dealbreaker... just seems a somewhat surprising jarring note from out of nowhere.

Thats a fair point, and the ending didn't quite sit well with me either. But the ride to that ending was so awesome that I accepted it for what it was without much ill will.

I'd love to talk more about the movie in general, but I also don't want to spoil anything for those that haven't seen it.

That's another reason why I want to see it a second time next week. Digest the movie for a week, then come back to it and see what I missed.

There's a Spoiler OK TFA thread over at Star Wars Gamer.

I read through it this morning, though I haven't posted yet.

I probably will later.

EDIT:

As soon as I posted that, I opened Slate.com, which had an article discussing the ending as well. I won't post the link, because spoilers... But it sums up why I felt weird about it.

Archived