Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

Mark Hammil had a contract for Ep 4-6 that he had to appear in 7-9 if there was ever one. But the ending seemed rather forced and tacked on. Not to mention the lack of dialouge and the struggling attempt of the Actor/Actress to convey something after MTFBWY was spoken to make it the final line

Also I see a lot of people didn't notice that Luke's saber had a blue blade, and looked like the one from ANH/ESB. Which makes it was the one that Anakin originally had. Not the green one he made in RotJ

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mark Hammil had a contract for Ep 4-6 that he had to appear in 7-9 if there was ever one. But the ending seemed rather forced and tacked on. Not to mention the lack of dialouge and the struggling attempt of the Actor/Actress to convey something after MTFBWY was spoken to make it the final line

Also I see a lot of people didn't notice that Luke's saber had a blue blade, and looked like the one from ANH/ESB. Which makes it was the one that Anakin originally had. Not the green one he made in RotJ

Yeah, it was obvious in the trailers that it was the saber lost on Bespin, with Luke's right hand.

It seems like it's going to be a tricky thing to explain away how it was found again after falling out of the bottom of Cloud City into the heart of a gas planet... But that's the magic of sci-fi movies isn't it?

And yes, Rabbit... Run to the theater. The Spoilers Awaken. Have you felt them?

it was better the 2nd time around.. though i doubt there'll be anymore nods if any to the EU or any planets from EU books. just hoping Rogue One doesn't screw it up. i doubt they'll show Kyle Katarn...i guess that whole story is shot out. :(

Star Wars Uprising is a game for the smart phone/tablet it's an rpg/mmorpg you can make a cartel and group up, etc. it's pretty fun.

Man, I'm not reading any of this stuff. I'm seeing the movie tomorrow, and I don't know a single thing about it, except that J.J. Abrams made it (lame), the original cast members are back (great), and what I have seen in the trailers (meh). I don't even know what the characters' names are. I haven't looked at any reviews, I don't know what people think, I don't know anything.

I think it will be fun to go into a Star Wars movie knowing nothing and not having any expectations. I followed the news pretty closely when the prequels came out, although I avoided learning major plot details or what exactly would happen. This time I'm going in cold. Not that I did that on purpose - I'm just old, and I cannot love things or look forward to them the way I did when I was young, so I just didn't look for any news. But now that I'm a day away from seeing it, I figure I'll just continue the blackout and see how it goes.

This is Red 5...I'm going in.

OK, some more Scotch whisky talk.

All the holiday sales are on, so I stopped by a liquor store while I was out running errands today. I was looking for something specific they had on sale, but they were out. I noticed they had Johnnie Walker Blue on sale, and I'd never had it before, so I figured I'd give it a try. If you're a Scotch lover, you have to try it at least once in your life, right?

Yeah... I have to say, I'm disappointed with this. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad. It's good. But it's not special. And for the price and the reputation it has, I was expecting something a little bit special. I mean, I get it - it's a blend, and it's meant to be accessible, so it's not fair comparing it to the single malts I usually prefer. But I think Johnnie Walker Black is a good blend. Basic, yes, but it has character and consistency. I wouldn't turn down a glass of Johnnie Walker Black. And Johnnie Walker Green is very good. Granted, it's a blended malt (no grain whisky), so it's a bit of a different thing, but it's less than half the price of Johnnie Walker Blue, and I think it's better. Too bad it's discontinued (it came back this year, but it's not sticking around).

The Blue is like a Black that has been smoothed out even more. There are clearly some older whiskies in there, but instead of adding a lot of complexity, it just makes it seem weak and contrived. It's bottled at 40% ABV, which I think is totally unacceptable for something at this price with supposedly a lot of old whisky in it. 3% or 6% more might do this a lot of good. From what I can find, it used to be bottled at 43%, so that seems like a serious downgrade.

To be fair, this is a first impression, and I've had whiskies before that didn't impress me much that I later came to love. Sometimes it takes some time, and sometimes it has to do with how you are feeling, what you ate earlier, and things like that. So I'll spend some more time with this one, but...not a great first impression.

My scotch "bookend" for the beginning of curling season was a 12 year Alberfeldy highland single malt scotch. Nose has a nice fruity smoke sherry smell to it. Taste has some sweet light peatyness, that has a nice mouth feel and finishes the the malt and some faint citrus.

JOhnny walker blue is just for those who want something that is older then 20 years and is less expensive... but then if you are going to go beyond 15 years I don't see the point of blending except to hide flaws. Black bottle has the better value, and is held in high regard when I go curling. Could can throw away the cap after opening it and not have to worry when at the club. If i am going to spend over $100 on a bottle of scotch, I would want a single malt and at least a 20 years. There isn't much difference on whiskys past 20 years.

I higlhy recommend for Bourbons.. if you want to try them.. woodford reserve. Top shelf quality you can get at a store.

and NEVER buy the Blue bottle of highland scotch called "Le Haug" Every reviewer hates it, and felt snookered by the marketing gimmick of an inferior product

JOhnny walker blue is just for those who want something that is older then 20 years and is less expensive... but then if you are going to go beyond 15 years I don't see the point of blending except to hide flaws. Black bottle has the better value, and is held in high regard when I go curling. Could can throw away the cap after opening it and not have to worry when at the club. If i am going to spend over $100 on a bottle of scotch, I would want a single malt and at least a 20 years. There isn't much difference on whiskys past 20 years.

I don't think Johnnie Walker Blue is cheap even compared to some single malts older than 20 years. I have a bottle of Glenfarclas 25 year old that I paid only $160 for. (Though Glenfarclas is very fairly priced.) I've been saving that one for a while now - maybe I'll open it up for New Year's. Plus, Johnnie Walker Blue has no age statement, so we don't really know for sure how old the malts in it are. There is definitely some older whisky in it, but how much I'm not sure. I'm trying it again tonight, and it is better. There is an almost chemical aspect to it that seems much reduced tonight. I still wouldn't say it's something special, though.

I saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens tonight. Pretty good. Not as good as the OT, but better than at least Episodes II and III. Daisy Ridley and John Boyega did a really good job, and I liked the new characters. Harrison Ford was good too, and he had a lot more to do than I was expecting, so that was a nice surprise.

It was maybe a little too derivative of the originals in places, a little too jokey at times, and there were some J.J. Abrams-isms that didn't serve the movie well. For example, the emotion is very raw and explicit. Sometimes subtle and understated works better, like when Luke learns his uncle and aunt are dead in the original film. Another example - characters being the best and knowing how to do things with literally no training. One more example - abuse of light speed/warp speed.

I liked the bar scene, the locations, and the score was really good. In a way, it is missing a certain "Star Wars" touch, being out of the hands of George Lucas. The prequels kind of had that, for all their flaws, which made them feel at least related to the OT. This film doesn't have that, and so it feels a bit disconnected, but, technically speaking, it is a better directed movie. It's nice to see dialog taking place in something other than shot-reverse shot.

It was maybe a little too fast-paced. There was little time to breath, which I think is important for pacing. But that does seem to be the current style.

Spoilers:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Han and Leia's scenes together were some of the quieter and better parts of the movie. Kasdan's doing? Han's death was pretty well handled, but I'm sad we won't get to see a reunion between him and Luke. Maybe that's for the best, so it doesn't steal the thunder of the new characters. I was expecting more Luke in the movie, but it looks like next time will be his time to shine. I'm looking forward to that.

Now that we've all seen it.... **EDIT** Except Zommie. Poor Rabbit....

Show spoiler
Some believe, as well as I, that Leader Snoke is very likely Darth Plagueis, referenced by Sidious/Palpatine in Eps. III, given his apparent injuries. Plagueis is the Sith Lord who trained Darth Sidious and could very likely cheat death itself. It is very possible that Plagueis faked his death so if **** went sideways, he could.... well, return. In the old, now non-cannon novel, Plagueis was killed by Sidious, supposedly, right before he was elected Chancellor of the Senate/Republic in Episode I.

Also; Rey is likely Luke's daughter.

I agree that the pacing was really quick in the third act of the movie. Some more exposition, however slight, on the state of the Republic, Galaxy,

Show spoiler
a bit more emphasis on the destruction on the Hosnian system where the Senate of the Republic was
could have been done.

I did enjoy the very first line of the movie.... "This will begin to make things right..."

Personally, I think it did it's job. It reinvigorated the fan base and made me excited for more.

Also;

Show spoiler
When Rey first took the Falcon up on Jakku, did anyone else cringe when she dragged the ol' girl into the sand and accidentily rammed that sign? That was hard to watch the ol' bucket get tossed around like that. I almost yelled "STOP DOING THAT"

Archived