Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Some believe, as well as I, that Leader Snoke is very likely Darth Plagueis, referenced by Sidious/Palpatine in Eps. III, given his apparent injuries. Plagueis is the Sith Lord who trained Darth Sidious and could very likely cheat death itself. It is very possible that Plagueis faked his death so if **** went sideways, he could.... well, return. In the old, now non-cannon novel, Plagueis was killed by Sidious, supposedly, right before he was elected Chancellor of the Senate/Republic in Episode I.

Also; Rey is likely Luke's daughter.

Show spoiler
I doubt Snoke is Darth Plagueis. I think they will stay as far away from prequel stuff as possible.

Show spoiler
I agree that the pacing was really quick in the third act of the movie. Some more exposition, however slight, on the state of the Republic, Galaxy, a bit more emphasis on the destruction on the Hosnian system where the Senate of the Republic was could have been done.

Show spoiler
Is that what that was? I thought it was Coruscant. Actually, I had no idea what was what in this movie. There is a Republic, but the Resistance isn't part of it? But destroying the Republic capital affected the Resistance? And who is the dominant force in the galaxy, the Republic or the First Order? I don't really know what the score is.

Also;
Show spoiler
When Rey first took the Falcon up on Jakku, did anyone else cringe when she dragged the ol' girl into the sand and accidentily rammed that sign? That was hard to watch the ol' bucket get tossed around like that. I almost yelled "STOP DOING THAT"

Show spoiler
Yeah, and when the Falcon crashed on the Death Star thing at the end, I though it was gone for good. And then they just flew it out of there. Tough ship.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I missed the boat on professional curling. never got on a team, never had the time nor finances to travel. I really don't feel comfortable skipping at the competitive curling level.. it it like suffleboard, high speed takeouts, and little or no margin of error

Disney created the inquisitors (see star wars rebels)

There is no reason why they cannot create a totally new villain (snope) from scratch.

The EU fans want to see the connection to canon. Disney has been borrowing more from Raplh MaQuarrie concept art then EU

Because it is cool

Of course my complaints is why did finn take the bottom turret on the Falcon, or even bother going to the OTHER turret when the dorsal one broke. Well, according to disney the reason was.. it makes a cool story

Then how can Rae, who is untrained, defeat Kylo in combat.. not to mention beat him with his head games... but it makes a cool story

Not to mention, never in SW canon, has a force user been able to stop a blaster bolt, nor interrogate using the force.... but it makes a cool story

We are used to thinking that modern aircraft are quite fragile. But in Star wars it has been shown they are a lot more durable. Surviving minor collisions, and lithobreaking and being able to fly again. it makes a cool story

JJ Abrams has his fingerprints all over this movie. But at least he stopped with the lens flare and shaky camera gimmicks.

Happy life day everyone. one week until the end of the world.. or at least this forum.. right?

i love rebels...and i've been playing uprising on my phone during downtime at work. :)

had a nice christmas morning and afternoon with my dog and my girlfriend. watched Furious 7 and some of office space. going to my parents' and my sister's tomorrow morning which should be fun. :)

I got my 70 year old mother this 'Stretchkins' Hello Kitty doll for Christmas. It's stuffed with soft foam, has stretchy arms and legs, and is the size of a small child.

image_zpsvq4ukvhe.jpeg

She loves it. She is a Hello Kitty fan, and it appeals to her inner child.

...However, the cats are freaked out by it. :D 'Is that a cat? Is that a human? Is that a pillow? What the hell is that thing?!?'

Of course my complaints is why did finn take the bottom turret on the Falcon, or even bother going to the OTHER turret when the dorsal one broke. Well, according to disney the reason was.. it makes a cool story

Because the top cannon faces forward, the bottom faces back.

Then how can Rae, who is untrained, defeat Kylo in combat.. not to mention beat him with his head games... but it makes a cool story

1. Rey is proficient in melee combat having survived years by herself on Jakku.

2. Rey is naturally gifted in the Force and is learning on the fly (or perhaps RE-leaning.

3. Kylo Ren was severly wounded by Chewie's bowcaster bolt. They weren't simply making jokes with Han and Chewie with the bowcaster, they were showing you how strong it was and Kylo Ren took one to the side yet he didn't fall.

4. Kylo Ren thought that killing Han Solo would help him, but just look at his face when he faces down Finn and Rey, he's not just sweating from the bowcaster, he's torn up inside because he just killed his own father.

5. Kylo Ren was also wounded by Finn who got a lucky shot in because he was already dealing with the last two points.

6. Rey focused the Force. She took Maz's advice and this moment near the end directly references A New Hope in which Obi-wan tells Luke that the Force doesn't just control your actions, but it also obeys your command. What Rey did, when she closed her eyes, was focus the Force, allowed it to flow through her and guide her in fighting Kylo Ren. In addition, notice how Kylo Ren was hitting his side? This was him trying to use pain to make himself focus, but he couldn't. So it's no wonder he lost at the end, there was so much working against him despite him being clearly stronger.

Not to mention, never in SW canon, has a force user been able to stop a blaster bolt, nor interrogate using the force.... but it makes a cool story

It's canon now :p

We are used to thinking that modern aircraft are quite fragile. But in Star wars it has been shown they are a lot more durable. Surviving minor collisions, and lithobreaking and being able to fly again. it makes a cool story

Okay, let's be specific here. You're talking about the Falcon. The X-Wings and TIE Fighters get crushed and obliterated pretty strongly, but the Falcon is a heavily modified freighter. Her armour is thick and she was modified to do a lot of crazy things, the biggest thing is to have the fastest hyperdrive in the galaxy. Part of why that works is because of the shortcuts the Falcon takes through space. Other ships have slower hyperdrives because they're still bound by their safety mechanisms and aren't absurdly armoured like the Falcon is. Remember, this is the ship that did the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs, a unit of distance, not time. And Han makes it a point to Luke in ANH to say that the calculations to jump into Hyperspace need to be precise, especially for the Falcon since they've obviously pulled out ALL the safety features of the hyperdrive to make it that "fast" to begin with. It's probably also why it's the only ship they have that could hyperspace THROUGH the shields of Starkiller Base to begin with since it went directly into the planets gravity well.

Anyway, that's my explanations of all that. But I did go back and watch the movie a few times.

It's a very good movie because it has so much information about everything in the movie itself and from things it's referencing back in the original trilogy.

They've done everything in that movie, not because it's cool, but because it makes sense within that universe.

a better example of durability of fighters is in Revenge of the Sith where anakin uses his fighter to scrape off the buzz droids on Obi-wans fighter.

But a Jedi starfighter is not the Millennium Falcon. It is more like a TIE Fighter or X-Wing, both of which end up suffering huge amounts of damage throughout the movie and are seen to be much more agile but a lot more fragile too.

I got a dessert wine from a local Winery. LI is famous for its wineries out east.

I don't drink much...like ever. But this dessert wine doesn't taste bad. Not greate mind you, half a mouthful and I'm done with it for the night. But I've tried other wines, and this one isn't bad overall.

My wife is the wine drinker, and has introduced me to some good wines. We tend to like Fruity sweet complex wines. Have a really nice german Spatletze (late harvest) that is as sweet as a Riesling, but a lot more flavorful without being syrupy

There is an award winning local vineyard just north of lacrosse about an hour drive that has won some national and international awards. I am also good friends with one of the owners at Elmaro Vineyard

Jakku made zero sense.

why did dameron just leave without recovering bb-8? or even checking for finn?

No, it makes complete sense.

Poe had no way to track BB-8 after he crashed, but we can assume that he did search for BB-8 as best he could. However, after searching by himself for some time, naturally, you kind of have to go back to base and report that your mission was a failure, not search forever on an entire planet for a single droid endlessly.

As for checking for Finn. They woke up at different times, Poe woke up first at night (he tells Finn this, that he woke up at night) and was in an entirely different location from Finn in a desert landscape with dunes everywhere obscuring your view in all directions. If Poe had've started a search pattern for Finn, it would have taken him, a single person, way too long to find him by himself and would have caused him to die of dehydration pretty damn quickly.

He probably did the same thing as Finn did, he saw the smoke from the crash, went back to check on the TIE Fighter, saw no sign of Finn but had to choose a direction in which to travel to find help because he needs to find a settlement to try to find BB-8 instead of the Imperial defector he just met.

Which brings us back to the point about BB-8. At some point, searching for a single droid on an entire planet all by himself becomes pointless so he naturally returned back to the Resistance base on D'Qar. He doesn't have the resources of the Empire searching for Artoo on Tatooine in ANH. I kind of just assumed he went back to his base to try to get help from the Resistance in searching for the droid, but ended up getting contacted by the Resistance agent on Takodana about BB-8 being there instead.

But when BB-8 and Finn show up, the reaction is all you need to know, he's overjoyed that BB-8 is alive and he's surprised to see that Finn completed HIS mission for him, a mission in which he thought he lost his droid and ultimately failed.

did everyone manage to see it this weekend? Saw it the second time and noticed a few things seeing it the first time in 3d made me miss. Seriously, don't see it in 3d the first time you go.

Edit: oh, and did anyone get anything interesting for christmas? I got me a smart watch, and a RasberryPi B+. Not sure what I'm going to do with the RasberryPi, but I have it!

Archived