Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol i wish...

going to try and call the va hospital tomorrow i feel an episode of depression coming on, i really need to talk to a professional on a regular basis...there's alot i NEED to get off my chest that talking to family/friends just doesn't really do anything. end up feeling worse.

:(

Barely made it out of state tournament alive...

My personal calamity started Sat. morning when my backpack fell out of my brother's car. Said backpack had my laptop, which suffered a cracked touchscreen, rendering it useless for running brackets. I missed running brackets for the morning squad while taking the laptop to Best Buy for repairs. Meanwhile, one of our new association managers brought in his late father's laptop, which had T-Brac on it, so I ran brackets the rest of the day.

That wasn't the end of it, however: On Sunday, the inkjet printer I had been using with the borrowed laptop decided to run out of ink, and I was fortunate to get a payout sheet for the second squad. I decided not to attempt to nurse the printer through the last squad of the tournament, which disappointed some of the bowlers, but I think everyone understood.

On the balance, the whole of the tournament was pretty good, and the state board had no complaints about our president, who was the primary tournament director. The management of the bowling alley treated the board to dinner after the last squad, so at least that was a good way to end my first state tournament experience. :)

Work is crap. Busiest time of the year and they have yet to train more people to do Fill from reserve (filling orders that consist of special order "Big stuff" (grills, patio furniture, lawnmowers and full pallets of stuff (Mulch, dirt, Salt)

On sunday, which is suppose to be my easy noon to 6, has turned into a mandatory 7am to 6pm. We normally have 4 people trained on to do fill from reserve. One had the day off, one guy didn't should up. Fortunately we had one person volunteering. But that still meant I ended up working twelve hours.

Me and the other guy are thinking about calling in, and not showing up sunday. Just to spite them.

Not much here either... Work. Walking when I can. Spending time with the lady whenever possible.

Thinking about the home-improvement project that I want to have done this year. Probably involves plumbing and shower fixtures... of which the current ones date back to the 50's.

I'm probably taking today off. I have an 8am till 1am work shift tomorrow... and it promises to be a brutal one. I have no real reason to go in today... so I'm thinking I won't.

Saturday isn't quite as long, but could be as hectic. Yeah... day off today...

Well, my nephew Greg has been involved in a local standoff with the federal government...and they got the revenuers to back down.

:dozey: Yes, really.

There is a local mine on BLM land in the neighboring county called the Sugar Pine. The law is complicated, but essentially the situation was that the BLM was going to sneak it at night and burn the mine down instead of letting the miners follow the legal process of proving their rights to keep mining.

A group called the Oathkeepers stepped in and provided security at the site until the BLM just today called off their dogs. A definite victory for constitutional law over administrative, and my nephew was with them.

:max: Yes!

my landlady robbed a bank at stungun point....so her husband is looking into what's all impacted by this. praying and hoping i dont have to move...nobody around here wants a dog in their house for less than an arm and a leg. :( just when things start looking up for me too!

You'd be surprised. The semi-consistant price of metals gives rise to copper thieves and such. Mining gold is still profitable if you can strike it good.

I'm sure mining gold still is profitable, I just thought we basically got it all from that area already. At least, the stuff that it was cost-effective to go for.

my landlady robbed a bank at stungun point

:explode:

Really, Rogue15? :dozey: That's...just...awesome!

:D

What a story to tell your grandkids.

Yes, they still mine gold out here in Ory-gun. A lot of the mining activity dried up during the last century, but when gold prices started climbing with the Great Recession, the old mines got suddenly re-opened. Most miners just run the sluice box off the river technique (which starts with panning to find a good spot) but good old fashioned hole in the ground mines like the Sugar Pine are also to be found in surprising numbers out here.

Anyone see 'Gold Rush' on teevee? That was a mine up in Alaska, but it's a story that gets told whenever the ground yields gold and it's profitable to go after it.

I got a new violin bow recently.

The one that came with mine... has an interesting issue. As you play a G on the 2nd and 4th string, and you get to the bottom of the bow (The frog, as it is called) the note drops flat.

At first, we thought it was because I was bad, and I should feel bad. Then, after doing some technique exercises, and it was still happening, we tried it with a carbon fiber bow. And it didn't happen.

So my teacher used my bow on her very nice 7,000 dollar violin. Much to our surprise, it did the same thing, going flat as you get towards the frog on an up-bow.

We determined that my bow was possessed, and a new bow was needed.

Got a nice carbon fiber bow (only 78 bucks, nothing insane though they did try to sell me some 250 dollar thing). Once I informed them that I was still learning, they (the music store salesman) dropped back very quickly. I could have probably got the $49 one, but I figured the $78 one would be a slight step up.

Apparently, for someone who is still learning the basics, I can make a $500 dollar violin sound decent. Sales dude was impressed.

So I guess I'm not awful at something. That was nice for someone to say.

Archived