Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i play mostly star wars games. on my xbox though, first person shooters here and there...waiting for battlefront to come out.

girlfriend came over today, we went for a morning run and she kept up. :) so that made my day. we watched top gun and played gta v back at my place. she wants me to meet her parents this weekend...no sweat.

I do alot of point of sale installation and maintenance at my current job. There is a brand of point of sale keyboard which are called "Cherry". They have integrated card readers, and programable keys. They're actually quite usefull, but are expensive as hell.

Though I've seen them last for 10 years in a heavy business retail environment without fault.

I think I now understand where they get their brand name from now. I think they use either red or blue switches.

Oh rouge, if you ever care to join the pc gaming master race ;-), I have a few fps games I play on and off. Interstellar marines, and guns of icarus are 2 games I would love to get at least one other person who's not a random schmuck.

Oh rouge, if you ever care to join the pc gaming master race ;-), I have a few fps games I play on and off. Interstellar marines, and guns of icarus are 2 games I would love to get at least one other person who's not a random schmuck.

maybe if i ever upgrade to a nice desktop... :)

I love my mechanical keyboard. So clicky. :D

Its been so long since I've regularly used a mechanical keyboard. Do you have any recommendations on brands or key types?

I could never use a touch screen keyboard regularly. I hate my phones touchscreen keyboard. I need the feel of keys beneath my fingertips.

Rouge, why not build your own? thats what I do.

I took computer science in high school, back in 1985...and 97.4% of the time, I have no idea what you kids are even talking about. :max:

Side note: they wouldn't let us use calculators in math class. Because of this, I can do math in my head...but I don't know how to properly use a calculator. :indif:

My not keeping up is probably my fault, for going into a non tech related occupation. The first computer terminal I saw used in the workplace was 1997, and the system immediately became dependant on them. It's pretty funny when the computer system goes down in a modern restaurant; the younger staff look around helplessly like 'How can we get orders to the kitchen without the POS system?' while the older waitresses automatically start writing tickets on their paper note pads and the experienced cooks start putting them up on the rail and calling out the orders.

back playing The Old Republic...needing a faster computer so i can run it flawlessly. i currently can run in full graphics, but the fps around 15-25. graphics are pretty nice...really looking forward to Knights of a Fallen Empire expansion coming this October. :)

Its been so long since I've regularly used a mechanical keyboard. Do you have any recommendations on brands or key types?

I could never use a touch screen keyboard regularly. I hate my phones touchscreen keyboard. I need the feel of keys beneath my fingertips.

Rouge, why not build your own? thats what I do.

My daily driver is a CM Storm 10 keyless with Cherry MX blues for the switches.

Amazon.com Link

I used to use a Steelsearies 6GV2, but the Cherry MX black switches were not very suited to Starcraft II and rapid fire keypresses. Eventually, the difference in actuating force (though small, MX blues require less downforce to register a keypress) would wear on me when I'm plaing 30-45 minute Starcraft II matches at about 200-300 actions per minute. (Yes, 200-300 keypresses per minute).

I also used to own a full sized keyboard from WASD Keyboards. You can really customize your keyboard and do all sorts of funky key layouts.

Sadly, at work, they won't let me bring my mechanical keyboards into the office. So I have to use this **** Dell membrane keyboard and I want to throw it out the window.

fried the motherboard of an ASUS i bought from walmart when i tried to install a geforce 8000 or whatever the **** it was.

Now how did you manage that? I would understand if you didn't properly ground the motherboard before hitting the power button. But installing a video card is just inserting it into the correct port.

And I do understand why they won't let you bring in a keyboard with blue key switches. I can imagine those things getting loud

zoom, I had to google cherry mx switches to refresh myself. you may want to do the same ;-).

My keyboard is entirely on touch screen.

No moving parts to wear out. :dozey: I can also switch to français and español keyboards with the skeuomorphic click of a nonexistent button.

Except, of course, when the screen stops working.

Which actually happened on our touch-screen-centered mixing board this week. First the image flickered, then scrambled like a cable station you don't pay for, then turned bright white, then all purple, then black.

Since 90% of the console's operations are handled on the screen, this made things more than a bit awkward to get through a busy week of concerts.

Fortunately, the iPads we had sync'ed still worked, but they only handle about 60% of the functions. However, we have an editor computer connected to the console as well... and that duplicates 99% of of the functions... but requires mixing on a keyboard and trackpad.

Still... I managed to get through it. But it wasn't exactly the most relaxed week at work I've ever had. It would have been a simple, easy week otherwise.

Funny thing is, the touchscreen still works. I was scrolling through channels on a totally black screen the other day just by tapping the correct corner of the screen. But with no visual clues, it's best not to push your luck.

We've had the desk open 4 or 5 times now on the request of tech support. We've pretty much poked and prodded every cable and chipset connected to the video output with no luck. They finally realized what I knew on Sunday... the screen is blown, or the video card has melted down for some reason.

In theory, new parts are on the way. Next week we get to do major surgery. That should be fun... :rolleyes:

*(Makes Keyan some chicken noodle soup.)*

Don't know if it works or not, but it's what I got...

found out i get a free ****in ipad with all my books digitally downloaded on it for school.

Welcome to the world of idiot proof and hassle free computering. :max:

Here are your cigars, smoking jacket and brandy snifter. Your key to the Apple washroom can be downloaded from the App Store.

I had a lego model of star destroyer Also came with a Corellian corvette... to scale.

I didn't like it because it was hollow and used angled plates for the exterior hull. more of a display then something to can carry in one hand and make whooshing noises as you fly it around he house

The battery life is somewhat limited; depending on how often you use it, being prepared to plug it in at the close of the day might be required. It's just because the thing does so much awesomeness, it uses the energy.

I plug mine in every night and run my iFish program, so it turns into an aquarium that lights up the living room, makes bubble noises and entertains the cats. In the morning, it's fully charged.

something to can carry in one hand and make whooshing noises as you fly it around he house

I also do this. :max: My cats are afraid of TIE fighters in particular. I think they're just creeped out by the 'eyeball looking thing.'

played TOR for a bit this morning, then invited my girlfriend over and I took her way up in the mountains for a 2 hour hike, had dessert at mcdonalds, came back to my place and watched the first 2 episodes of The Walking Dead Season 1, then she took me back to her parents so i could meet them. Her parents are pretty nice people. I haven't met her sisters yet though. :)

Archived